Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Transport From Factory Question

When a New RV is transported (driven) from the factory to the dealer, is the new RV sometimes used as a tow vehicle to pull a vehicle the transport driver will use to return to the factory?
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That is how our's was delivered and we were there when it pulled into the lot in Rogers, Arkansas. The guy had driven it from Kitchener, Ontario from the Roadtrek plant. He was pulling a small car behind it. A Roadtrek 210 has a towing capacity in the specs of over 7000 pounds and the hitch shows 10,000 pound trailer weight and 1000 pound tongue weight, so it is no trouble at all on at least that model.

I would be concerned with some of the lighter rated Bs if I saw one pulling into the dealer pulling my 5000+ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have met several of the folks that deliver RVs over the years and I recently spent the evening with the father of a friend of mine. He is a retired minister and lived not far from Elkhart and delivered them for a while after he retired. Most of the folks I have met delivering RVs are older guys doing it for the travel and a little extra money. I am sure some do it for a job. I have met some big rig A drivers that deliver and then fly home. Probably depends on the distance from the plant and availability of commercial flights in that area.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Site Team

My concern would be less with the towing and more with whether the driver follows proper break-in driving patterns for those early miles. That is much harder to ascertain.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Silver Member

I'm really not worried about a transport driver driving the vehicle during break in, but I was under the impression that you shouldn't really tow anything with a brand new vehicle until it was broken in, also, I am starting to hear that the receiver on a Winnebago Travato might need renforcement before heavy use.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think that is a really valid concern. The Roadtrek is on a much more heavy duty chassis than a Travato as far as towing is concerned. Note that in my post I said:

I would be concerned with some of the lighter rated Bs if I saw one pulling into the dealer pulling my 5000+ Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Go to a dealer or rv show and crawl under some of these newer models and really check out how things like towing equipment are installed and be sure to read the specs on the hitch.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
Platinum Member

My first rig was delivered direct by the factory because they were picking up a Sprinter platform from the dealer in my city in ND. (this was GWV when it was in Winnipeg) My second rig, the Libero, my salesman was visiting the factory, and they asked if they could drive my new rig back - towing their little car - which was well under the weight limit. My Roadtrek was driven from the factory to the dealer in MN and he flew back to Canada. If more than one vehicle is being delivered, they use a shipper. (or if you are on the West Coast)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Silver Member

Winnebago Travato delivery drivers do not pull a car. I have seen several with livery plates being delivered and none towing. I have seen an ERA being delivered towing a car.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
Silver Member

Firesteel, good to know, thanks.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

You would think for the $1500-$3000 delivery cost they could budget a return flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote