Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is kind of clever.

They get to run a beta test by making it a limited availability special edition!
Not really much to test. I believe the alternator and inverter are unchanged. It's interesting that WGO went in the opposite direction from Xantrex - they have dumbed down the user end to a switch and a single meter indicating SOC. IMO they would do well to replicate the Xantrex wireless comm box that facilitates comprehensive reports of system operation to a tablet.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Actually the NP version is already out & sold out. I believe it has 11.6kw battery, Volta added one more cell the the original pack. The 8.7kw would get you thru the night, a 6hr night in Houston, a 8hr long night in Colorado.
Yes,11.6 is right. Thanks for the correction.

I wonder if "sold out" reflects dealer orders for inventory rather than customer commitments. Has there even been an MSRP established?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Not really much to test. I believe the alternator and inverter are unchanged. It's interesting that WGO went in the opposite direction from Xantrex - they have dumbed down the user end to a switch and a single meter indicating SOC. IMO they would do well to replicate the Xantrex wireless comm box that facilitates comprehensive reports of system operation to a tablet.
I believe I've heard that Volta is soon to be selling an add-on to the system that gives exactly that type of information on the system.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Default Dog in the vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roads of Life View Post
If you haven’t already, check out the Travato Facebook page.
Regrettably, I don't have Facebook... my wife has an account though, so I might steal a look at hers!

keep in mind that most people post to either get help with an issue or to bitch about something. Most that are having zero issues, rarely post.
I'm unfortunately one of those too... always have to remember to post the positive when I can!

I’m with you on the genny. We don’t use it often but it’s nice when we need it.
I've heard a few tales of inconsiderate people running generators all night, and I just can't bare to be one of them!

if your in the southeast you’ll use the ac more.
We are south in the hot and humid... but our real concern is traveling with the dog and leaving her in the RV while we go sight see. We are more museum and historical places people and less outdoorsy, so our concern in making too much noise in public areas and keeping the dog comfortable while away. We plan on Harvest Host nights a lot, and assume no hookups, so the battery backup is going to be essential (in our opinion of no experience!).

Check out the YouTube channel “Go Small Live Large”.
Best channel I belong to so far! He seems the most honest and invested in the lifestyle.

Thanks for all the input and support!
Be seeing you!

You wrote below....

your in the southeast you’ll use the ac more.
We are south in the hot and humid... but our real concern is traveling with the dog and leaving her in the RV while we go sight see. We are more museum and historical places people and less outdoorsy, so our concern in making too much noise in public areas and keeping the dog comfortable while away. We plan on Harvest Host nights a lot, and assume no hookups, so the battery backup is going to be essential (in our opinion of no experience!)......

I don't know.... that would be a concern for me.... Even with a solution for HVAC.... it's tough on the animal being couped up..... without a bathroom break.... wouldn't be as difficult with a cat.... still.... I would find another solution.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So sorry about your experience. Moving on sure makes sense at times. I understand the age factor, darn it. Thanks for posting, important I think.
Toyman, Given the objective of not wanting to wait until WGO & Volta resolve issues with the L system, you may want to change out the OEM AGM house batteries for Battleborn or similar drop-in replacement Lithium ion batteries. There are numerous additional upgrades that Battleborn and others offer, such as a higher output chargers and a battery monitoring system. The 100 Amp-hour drop-in batteries are currently on sale for $950. Although you don't need to change out your OEM convertor/charger, the Li-ion charger replacement to upgrade performance varies from $200 to $350, depending upon how much charging current/how quickly you want to be able to charge your LI ion batteries, you want. (If you upgrade the charging current, you will also need to upgrade the wire gauge from the charger to the batteries). As result, for around $2000, your K will have most of the benefits of the KL and, also, the benefit of a generator and propane. Seems to me to be the best of all worlds. Rick 2016 59G
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCF View Post
Toyman, Given the objective of not wanting to wait until WGO & Volta resolve issues with the L system, you may want to change out the OEM AGM house batteries for Battleborn or similar drop-in replacement Lithium ion batteries. There are numerous additional upgrades that Battleborn and others offer, such as a higher output chargers and a battery monitoring system. The 100 Amp-hour drop-in batteries are currently on sale for $950. Although you don't need to change out your OEM convertor/charger, the Li-ion charger replacement to upgrade performance varies from $200 to $350, depending upon how much charging current/how quickly you want to be able to charge your LI ion batteries, you want. (If you upgrade the charging current, you will also need to upgrade the wire gauge from the charger to the batteries). As result, for around $2000, your K will have most of the benefits of the KL and, also, the benefit of a generator and propane. Seems to me to be the best of all worlds. Rick 2016 59G
Actually, Toyman is doing just that. He shared with me via a PM that he is installing 4- 100ah Battleborn's that he previously had installed in his class C. So he's no newbie to lithiums it turns out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Actually, Toyman is doing just that. He shared with me via a PM that he is installing 4- 100ah Battleborn's that he previously had installed in his class C. So he's no newbie to lithiums it turns out.
Toyman is a smart guy. Did he upgrade the charger, the wiring and install a battery monitor? Did he install any of the battery heating accessories for use in cold weather?
Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Reason I am asking, is that Battleborn batteries are on my wish list for my 2016 59G.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #29
Silver Member

My BB's will be inside because that’s where they fit, not because of temperature sensitivity. In my opinion putting in 400AH of battery, costing $4k you’d be lacking something not to upgrade your charging system. The Xantrex XC 2000 inverter I’m installing has a 80A charger, I could use 2x. My Travato comes equipped with a PD9145A converter which would give +45A, I believe I can still get a TCM for it that locks it into a 14.4V charge....not sure if it will fit anywhere though.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...vato-9554.html
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Running Changes

This thread seems to have jumped the tracks and is all about the Lithium systems. A legit topic but not your question. As other have mentioned very few, if any changes, outside the new grill between the two.

But, and this is a big but, Winnebago routinely makes min-year and running changes on the Travato’s. So additional changes to the 2020 are likely. RAM has already indicated there are phasing in mild changes to the chassis and suspension so keep an eye on that for the 2020’s. And Winnebago may change up some things mid 2020, or not ...
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Default Differences between 2019 and 2020 Ts

The first 2020s that were made were no different than that end of model year 2019s, just a small price increase (less than $7k). There is talk now of mid-model-year changes for 2020 (people refer to the new 2020s as "2020.5" or "2020.2") that include the new NDQ A/C, Rolef screens on the slider and rear, and possibly other changes. We are waiting for someone to put together a list of all the changes for the 2020.5 models. The word is that new Ts being produced now are 2020.5s. We also don't know about the price increase for the 2020.5s - perhaps the $7k increase mentioned by the OP is for the 2020.5.

I believe that the Volta system has been much more reliable than the ecotrek system. The Volta system is also improving. Initial problems with some 2nd alternator charge modules have been addressed, there is new firmware and other operational improvements, and now there is a bluetooth interface for more information and control (the bluetooth interface can soon be added to existing Ls). Volta is also selling an add-on battery heater to bootstrap out of a cold soak condition.

Someone said that the only way to get bulletproof lithium system is to go with Advanced RV. Advanced RV uses the Volta system, among others. I'd be curious to know how reliable ARV's implementation of Volta has gone or if they mostly use some other Li system.

If you live in a colder climate and want to use lithium, pay attention to battery chemistry. The Battleborns are LiFePO4, which has a minimum *storage* temperature of -4F. The Volta system uses LiNiMnCo batteries, which can endure excursions down to -40F (although the four to six month average temp should be above -4F).
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #32

Looking at the 2020.5, my understanding is there is more, and better insulation for both soundproofing as well as better overall insulation for the coach. Can anyone with experience going from a prior model to a 2020.5 speak to the insulation changes and if they're significant?
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #33
Platinum Member

It is hard to get a good read on how well the new insulation performs because no one is doing A/B testing (running new-insulated and old-insulated models side by side in the same conditions). People say that the new insulation plus the dual pane windows makes a big difference, but i don't know how accurate that is.

There is an active Facebook group for the Travato - if you don't mind using Facebook, i think you'd be well served to go there because there is a lot of info.
I hope they don't mind me reposting here one of the many documents they have concerning the Travato. This document shows the year-by-year changes. Note that the 2020.5 has a lot of new features compared to the 2019/early 2020 version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRAVATO-YEAR-TO-YEAR-MODEL-CHANGES-THROUGH-2020_5.pdf (242.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #34

That's a great PDF. Thank you very much for that.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #35

Default New fuel cell system coming fall of 2020

Watts fuel cell should be coming out this fall, the manufacturer of this system is working with some of the RV manufacturing companies. They won't say whom with. But I hope its with some class B size RV. A quite generator that runs off your gas propane.
I've attached a link, its a older link and they where working with Erwin Hymer North America, but we know what happen there.
https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/
ecaba101@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaba101@yahoo.com View Post
Watts fuel cell should be coming out this fall, the manufacturer of this system is working with some of the RV manufacturing companies. They won't say whom with. But I hope its with some class B size RV. A quite generator that runs off your gas propane.
I've attached a link, its a older link and they where working with Erwin Hymer North America, but we know what happen there.
https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/
Could you provide reference to this statement "Watts fuel cell should be coming out this fall"
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #37

I emailed Watts company to confirm weather they where still coming out with the Watts system, was told in a email today that it's coming the fall of 2020. To know what it is , look at the link below.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #38
Platinum Member

The video reminded me of the limitations of this tech - it only puts out 500W. That is not much, and considering the cost and potential problems with running a fuel cell makes me think this wont go anywhere. But i have been surprised before so who knows?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Perhaps Bill Gates gave Watts a feasibility boost with his new toy, a $1/2B fuel cell power boat, minor difference it is hydrogen powered. But, propane and hydrogen are similar, both are flammable, both are gases, and both have volume of 22.4l per mole, so if it works for Gates it should work for Watts folks.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #40
Platinum Member

The difference is being able to run it 24/7 without ticking anyone off. Thirty amps of DC (can’t remember output voltage) will do everything but keep an A/C running.

In previous discussions I think we decided 300 watts 24/7 is all we need.

I think we had some concern about how often the catalyst needed to be changed and what the cost to do that would be.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price, travato, winnebago