Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
ZBM

Default Travato 59G questions

I'm am considering the purchase of a 59G. I have a few questions for this forum.

1. I am a diesel guy, own 2 TDi's. I want a diesel, but you can try to convince me to go Pentastar. I see there are not many out there. Any idea why? Supply? Demand? Maybe it just isn't that great of an engine. I have heard issues with quality of the manumatic. I am only finding 3 or 4 59Gs diesel for sale throughout the continental US and they are advertising sticker price.

2. I am thinking of possibly leaving it up in NY. It will sit in a parking lot exposed to the elements. I see issues with the fact that the water/drain system is exposed, so it will need to be winterized. I see something about heated drains that might be a new addition/option anyone give any insight on this? I might use the unit in the winter just for one or two overnights at a time.

3. It looks like some great upgrades came out in 2016 so I guess it would have to be either a 2016/17?

4. It will mostly be me using it as a place to crash when I'm working in NY and will occasionally use it for family (wife and 7 year old) get aways during the warmer times of year. Any other options that keep us with the existing frame? I was think possibly the Era 170A, but that fold out couch is tiny.

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Bill
ZBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The Promaster diesel is the slowest of the big three diesel powered vans, but they are all very slow in 0-60. 11-12 seconds unloaded, where the ford and Ram gas vans are running 7-8 seconds. The diesels are more expensive to repair and maintain and initial cost but give you a little better fuel economy. I was going to buy a diesel until I read about the problems some are having with the emissions equipment, and did a comparative driving test. The diesels are too slow for me. I passed a lot of sprinters in my last trip on hills.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
The Promaster diesel is the slowest of the big three diesel powered vans, but they are all very slow in 0-60. 11-12 seconds unloaded, where the ford and Ram gas vans are running 7-8 seconds. The diesels are more expensive to repair and maintain and initial cost but give you a little better fuel economy. I was going to buy a diesel until I read about the problems some are having with the emissions equipment, and did a comparative driving test. The diesels are too slow for me. I passed a lot of sprinters in my last trip on hills.

I have the 59K with the gas engine. I think most people might be satisfied enough with the gas mileage (I got 17.6 mpg for a 3000 mile trip) to not bother with the added expense of the diesel. I usually camp in places without hookups, and being able to run the generator off the main gas tank, instead of the propane tank, is a nice feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 PM   #4

Go drive it. We did. Just wasn't the pleasant experience I'd become accustomed to during Sprinter based RV test drives. The Travato diesel seemed sluggish and awkward compared to the Sprinter diesel. That's just my personal feeling. The actual owners I've read about seem happy with them. We went with the gas engine and are very happy with it. Consistently 17+ mpg with reasonable, solid pickup.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

WGO hasn't made very many simply because of almost zero demand. Those that were made that weren't ordered, have sat on the lots for long periods of time, one I know of for over a year now, so it's got lot rot for sure.
Last I heard, about 3 months ago, they would still build a silver one to order if wanted at a $5k premium over the gas model.
Nothing wrong with the engine or transmission. It's a 500k mile engine with ease. The transmission is different from what we are all used to, a computer controlled manual without a clutch pedal, so folks that don't understand the workings of it just blow it off.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
WGO hasn't made very many simply because of almost zero demand. Those that were made that weren't ordered, have sat on the lots for long periods of time, one I know of for over a year now, so it's got lot rot for sure.
Last I heard, about 3 months ago, they would still build a silver one to order if wanted at a $5k premium over the gas model.
Nothing wrong with the engine or transmission. It's a 500k mile engine with ease. The transmission is different from what we are all used to, a computer controlled manual without a clutch pedal, so folks that don't understand the workings of it just blow it off.....
I have heard similar things from two dealers I talked to that the diesel vans just arent selling. Mainly due to the good gas mileage on the gasser, some people dont like the way the diesel drives, and one dealer mentioned that it doesnt have a park function? I believe he said you put it in neutral and then put on the parking brake. Sounded strange to me but I wasnt interested in the diesel anyway so I didn't probe further. The dealers mentioned they don't stock them anymore and only procure gas vans.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a ProMaster Diesel Buy Back program going on right now.

Too many unfixable problems.

You have the option of buy back or trade-in for a gasser.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #8
Platinum Member

FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) does not have a model specific buyback for the Promaster Diesel, however any FCA vehicle that meets local lemon law provisions is eligible for a negotiated buyback or replacement. The model specific buyback programs are limited to specific years of the Ram 1500 pickup, Durango, and Aspen models per Federal NHTSA safety mandate.

That said the Promaster 3.0 liter diesel may become a bit of an orphan. When originally brought to the Promaster from its Ducato parent in Europe it suffered emission control related problems trying to meet more stringent US diesel emission standards. Now that Europe has similarly stringent Euro VI diesel standards FCA decided to replace the 3.0 diesel with a new uprated version of the Multijet 2.3 LPEGR diesel engine that meets Euro VI and gets 19% better fuel mileage.

With the 3.0 diesel dropped from the Ducato for emission reasons its future stateside seems iffy. Besides that Pentastar gas V6 is one sweet engine that achieves good performance without complexities of direct injection, turbocharging, or EGR valves that could go foul in the hinterlands. While gas prices remain low it's tough to justify the diesel.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I am not a techy, and certainly not regarding diesels -but- from what I hear from owners, and from skimming the forums it seems to me that just about EVERY diesel is "suffering emission control related problems trying to meet more stringent US diesel emission standards". Is that not accurate?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I am not a techy, and certainly not regarding diesels -but- from what I hear from owners, and from skimming the forums it seems to me that just about EVERY diesel is "suffering emission control related problems trying to meet more stringent US diesel emission standards". Is that not accurate?

Yes Scott, that's accurate. The newest models though, the Ford Transit "Powerstroke" diesel, and the full size pickup models are finally getting it figured out seems like

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote