Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Travato Navigation/Radio System Issues?

On my 2015 59G (1st Gen built June '14 purchased Jan '15) about every other time I try to use the u-connect nav system it acts like it has never been connected before. It "loads maps" for an hour or so. When it finally works sometimes it seems great and others it seems like only part of the streets/points of interest are loaded - if they are they are sadly outdated. Also, when the radio comes on after I turn the key on Sirius always comes up to the "preview" channel instead of the channel I always listen to, although my "presets" do show at the top of the screen.
Anyone else have issues/fixes with these systems?
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Wincrasher will chime in here I hope, but I think your radio is defective. He told me to watch out for a Nav system that took too long to load when I went to pick up my Travato. I think it would be a warranty repair.

Mine doesn't act like yours. It's fairly quick to load. My gripe is the Tom-Tom Nav is crap compared to Garmin and the out of date maps are not upgradeable.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Not a Travato owner but I have owned the Tom Tom Nav and I will second what eric1514 said,they are crap ( I gave mine away and bought a Garmin Nuvi).

You might want to look into a Garmin or try Google Maps, I have used it recently and find it very accurate .
jad787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The one in my first Travto was kind of hit or miss- some days it could find the satellites, some days not. The one in my new Travato works every time, perfectly.

I've heard of some people getting them changed out/replaced under warranty.

So I'd definately file a claim if I were you, with Dodge, not Winnebago.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

so far the one in my zion seems to work everytime. i have never been an extensive user of gps navigation systems. it seems to me their best use is to tell you were you are-not how to get there
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I have to take the vehicle in to the RAM dealer in a couple of weeks when some parts related to a "door lock" recall come in. I've alerted the service advisor to add looking into the Nav system issue when I come back for the install of those parts. (For what it's worth I found out about THAT inspection/recall issue on Monday when I took the Travato in to find out why the cab A/C quit working - vehicle has less than 2K miles so far. Turns out the clutch on the compressor had failed. They replaced the compressor under warranty, recharged the system and I was out of there in about 4 hours.) Next day wife and I did an overnight a couple of hours drive away and the A/C worked fine.

I have factory installed nav in both of our BMW cars and have had several different portable units I took with me to use in rental cars while traveling for work and/or pleasure. Bought a Tom Tom when we went to England about 9 years ago because I could get maps for there and the US. It worked okay. Much prefer the various Garmin products I've owned. Best portable I've got at this time is on my motorcycle. It's a "BMW Navigator IV" - which is actually a waterproof Garmin Zumo 660. I have the mounts and charging wire that pick up traffic conditions so I can use it in vehicles. I'll start taking it with me on future Travato trips but I shouldn't have to. The installed system should work. As a fail safe I use Google Maps on my iPhone mounted on an A/C vent in the cab where I can see the screen. When everything is working right it gives me turn by turn directions via Bluetooth.
So, hopefully RAM will get me up and running on the uConnect system and make it at least reliable. Film at 11:00.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 07-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Bronze Member

There is an update available for the display and other problems with the radio. You can either download it yourself or go to the dealer for the update. Here is the website, just enter your VIN and follow the instructions. This website will not work with Firefox, just IE.

Uconnect® Software Update - Update your Uconnect® System
Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pittman@sbcglobal.net View Post
There is an update available for the display and other problems with the radio. You can either download it yourself or go to the dealer for the update. Here is the website, just enter your VIN and follow the instructions. This website will not work with Firefox, just IE.

Uconnect® Software Update - Update your Uconnect® System
Very cool, thank you. I don't have a 4gb drive, but I'll pick one up next time I'm out.

I guess it pays to visit that site now and then because I swear a month ago, it told me there was no update for my vin #.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Thanks for letting us know. I visited the site and, yes, I'm eligible for the update. Now to decide if I'm patient enough to wait a few weeks until I go back to the RAM dealer when the parts for the "door locks" they inspected come in or go ahead and try the update myself. (And, there is still no guaranty that whatever they updated is the fix for the issues I've been having.) I'll probably wait for the dealer visit so they won't be able to point a finger at me for breaking something during the update install.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Silver Member

This is the Uconnect patch for the 0day exploit that will be revealed next week at the Black Hat conference. It allows someone to take remote control of your vehicle over the Internet - disable the brakes or transmission etc
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers...-jeep-highway/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Great another case where we scare the public over something that has a 1 in 10 billion chance of happening.

I don't even think the wifi hotspot thing even works in these vans. I don't see a setting to enable it.

It's a very narrow set of parameters to get that hack to work - including knowing the car's IP address.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I saw that Jeep story on CNN and the local news and wondered about the access method.

I guess the big question would be when and if the car transmits or makes visible it's IP address so it could be captured. My understanding is that other connections routinely transmit it, like PCs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Great another case where we scare the public over something that has a 1 in 10 billion chance of happening.
You're joking, right? In this day and age a widely-known exploit of any kind has a virtually 1 in 1 chance of being employed maliciously. Yes, each individual one seems trivial or vastly unlikely, but that is not how the game is played. Rather, it his the methodical accumulation of puzzle-pieces that lead to the well-known disasters. For example: A totally unrelated penetration of the dealer network could yield *ALL* the IP addresses in the fleet. We are no longer dealing with bored geek teen-agers, but rather extremely sophisticated state-sponsored organizations.

I don't mean to be melodramatic, but IMO a head-in-the-sand attitude WRT to this kind of thing may be the biggest threat we are facing right now. They should be congratulated for the quick action in this case, not ridiculed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I'd say the chance of this happening on the Promaster is nil. The Wifi Hotspot is not an option with this van.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I went ahead and did it because why not.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I read an article. it applies to uconnect 8.4.

we of course have 5.0
Old 07-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I read an article. it applies to uconnect 8.4.

we of course have 5.0
If that were true, why did the update site ask for my VIN# and when verified, allow me to download and install the update on my uconnect 5.0 radio? I think there's more in that update than just the patch to prevent hacking.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 07-25-2015, 01:49 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If that were true, why did the update site ask for my VIN# and when verified, allow me to download and install the update on my uconnect 5.0 radio? I think there's more in that update than just the patch to prevent hacking.
i don't know-all i can say is i read the article and it said 8.4 is the issue
with the hacking-
Old 07-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Chrysler/Fiat announced today they are sending out 1.4 million owners a thumb drive with the files on it. You can wait for that if you like.

As I said before, this is not an emergency and there is no reason to freak out. The hack is tough to do. You have to have a wifi hotspot installed on your van, it has to be activated, and the hacker has to be within wifi range to make it work.

I'll be waiting for the drive in the post.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #20
Platinum Member

this article says the hack is on 8.4 uconnect.

it does not mention the promaster 5.0uconnect

i don't know if that means anything

Fiat Chrysler will recall vehicles over hacking worries