Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Default troubleshooting hot water flow

I just bought a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge Ram 3500 van conversion) and I’m having problems with the hot water flow. The hot water flow is very slow at best or at times nonexistent . The heater is a Suburban, propane fired. Shouldn’t the hot water flow be comparable to the cold water flow- cold works fine? I’ve changed the check valve on the hot water by-pass and flushed the hot water tank but no improvement. Can the hot water lines possibly be clogged and can they be back flushed? Any suggestions to solve my problem?
joelsedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: troubleshooting hot water flow

Is hot water slow at both the kitchen sink and the shower?
Is hot water leaking out somewhere? Outside shower maybe?

It could be a chunk of calcium (from hard water) stuck in a pipe. Vinegar should dissolve calcium.
Here's a how-to: http://www.ehow.com/how_5491954_remove- ... amper.html

Back flushing seems like a good idea to me if vinegar doesn't work.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Silver Member

Not sure if this will help, but our sink pressure was slow and causing the water pump to surge. It didn't do it at the shower or toilet. Running it thru the city water hook up, we notice a slower flow of water. We removed the faucet screen on the sink and pulled out something thin and black. Wasn't plastic, sticky or gooey....weird. The fact that yours only does it with the hot, does make sense that it could be related to the hot water lines. If you have an air compressor you could try to blow air into the lines to see if it will clear the lines. Be sure to by pass your water heater.

Post back your results. It could be useful information for someone else with a similar problem.

Congratulations and happy travels.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Is hot water slow at both the kitchen sink and the shower?
Is hot water leaking out somewhere? Outside shower maybe?

It could be a chunk of calcium (from hard water) stuck in a pipe. Vinegar should dissolve calcium.
Here's a how-to: http://www.ehow.com/how_5491954_remove- ... amper.html

Back flushing seems like a good idea to me if vinegar doesn't work.

Thanks markopolo. The HW flow is eqaully slow on all 3 outlets- sink, inside & outside shower. I'll try the vinegar.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yizit
Not sure if this will help, but our sink pressure was slow and causing the water pump to surge. It didn't do it at the shower or toilet. Running it thru the city water hook up, we notice a slower flow of water. We removed the faucet screen on the sink and pulled out something thin and black. Wasn't plastic, sticky or gooey....weird. The fact that yours only does it with the hot, does make sense that it could be related to the hot water lines. If you have an air compressor you could try to blow air into the lines to see if it will clear the lines. Be sure to by pass your water heater.

Post back your results. It could be useful information for someone else with a similar problem.

Congratulations and happy travels.
Thanks for the advise. I'll try vinegar first as suggested by "markopolo" and if that doesn't work I'll see if I can blow air to clean the lines.

Happy travels to you too!