Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Type of Scooter and Carrier to tow?

We're planning our next trip in our Era to Alaska this coming spring/summer. We usually pull a 7x12 enclosed trailer with our trike in it behind us however we think it would be better due to the rough condition of the ALCAN hwy to leave the trailer and trike and just get a scooter and put it on a hitch carrier. Any recommendations on type of Scooter, carrier, and on the trip in general is appreciated, thanks.
Abn1SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #2

I'll be selling my 2015 Yamaha XT250 this spring if that interests you. Located in NY state. Weighs just under 300lbs
Road Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Type of Scooter and Carrier to tow?

Most of the Alcan hwy is reasonably ok paved roads where you should have no issues towing your trailer and trike. I would be more concerned about a hitch carrier and a scooter tongue weight bouncing around over the trailer setup.

Keep your trailer setup and lighten the load with a lighter bike if this concerns you or just take your protective gear along and rent a bike when you are there or along the way. The Yamaha xt250 offered above is a good solid bike too. I’d recommend repacking trailer spindles before trip if you haven’t serviced it in a while plus carry a spare tire for both the van and the trailer. Happy travels.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hermit View Post
I'll be selling my 2015 Yamaha XT250 this spring if that interests you. Located in NY state. Weighs just under 300lbs
Thanks however NY is a long ways from here.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
Most of the Alcan hwy is reasonably ok paved roads where you should have no issues towing your trailer and trike. I would be more concerned about a hitch carrier and a scooter tongue weight bouncing around over the trailer setup.

Keep your trailer setup and lighten the load with a lighter bike if this concerns you or just take your protective gear along and rent a bike when you are there or along the way. The Yamaha xt250 offered above is a good solid bike too. I’d recommend repacking trailer spindles before trip if you haven’t serviced it in a while plus carry a spare tire for both the van and the trailer. Happy travels.
Appreciate the info; last time I drove down from Fairbanks, AK was in 1992 and did not think there has been that much improvement of the ALCAN; thanks for the update and your recommendation.