Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1
by choosing a manufacturer that has
1. Been in business for a long time.
2. Has developed a "niche" for honing their skills at building Class B's
3. Has a very good and long warranty..
I totally agree with that. Because as we all known, the brands stand for reputation and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1
Also...it helps to make sure you don't purchase a vehicle from such a small company that it becomes an "orphan"...... This is important not only for parts and the unique manufacturing but because of resale value..... listen.. while it may be one of the best coaches built hardly anyone will know the brand.....and when it comes time to SELL...you definitely want "name recognition".......

I found this out the hard way when I went to sell my very unique "teardrop trailer" ...all fiberglass composite ....no one had ever heard of this very small but super deluxe unit... really tough to sell...I was very surprised....

Stick to a name brand.... much easier.. you will be much better off and happier....
Why not try to lower the resell price, and good luck! Maybe next time you can try a brand one.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
We didn’t buy another coach. We saw that experience as a sign, and we kept what I had. And I’m glad I did. SportsmobileWest finally fixed all the things that were wrong with my top, so I built in the finishing touches and am now enjoying it very much– much more than I would be, had I sold & taken a huge hit on the sportsmobile and purchased the other van.
Wow, that's very reassuring news. Reading the initial accounts of your travails with Sportsmobile West, both here and on the sportsmobile forum, it sounded like it could have gone the other way.

Congrats on pushing through what seemed like an unusually difficult build and finally getting a good finished unit. Hope it provides you many great journeys!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Monica...the "Teardrop trailer" was brand new....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
I totally agree with that. Because as we all known, the brands stand for reputation and service.

Why not try to lower the resell price, and good luck! Maybe next time you can try a brand one.

YES....I did lower the price and sold the teardrop trailer...... AND I purchased it brand new in 2014...sold it in late 2017.....

Bittersweet story......

It was a very nice little teardrop.... here are several pictures of it for you.....

We took at least a dozen or more trips in this "queen bed on wheels with a Chuck Wagon kitchen"......

Trailer was in perfect condition when we sold it... because it was a solid molded piece with hardly any penetrations except for the two skylights and doors the thing was practically air tight.....

The boutique manufacturer was a structural engineer and designed it like a boat...all fiberglass and marine fittings.... most of the time you'll find teardrop trailers made out of wood with an aluminum skin on them....

The wood eventually rots from the moisture.. this unit is quite different...no wood at all anywhere..... would have lasted 40 plus years....

The main reason I sold it that I hated towing ... and setting up and breaking down the campsite was VERY labor intensive...... like a "Chinese Fire Drill"....
We had everything in the back of my Subaru Outback and it all fit in there like a puzzle.....

Sleeping in the trailer was extremely comfortable, and we had two doors for access on both sides, but, no bathroom, no inside kitchen, and no place to stand inside... which is why we brought an easy up with us, a changing tent...and all the camping gear.....

It was fun....no question..... but, after 3 1/2 years..I could see that it was just going to get harder to do this as time goes by..... Also, it is very difficult taking this out in the rain...

On the plus side..we got 21 MPG......and the other plus was that we could detach the car from the trailer and take it places we can't take our Class B..... always trade offs...

I love my RS Adventurous.. just hop in and go...we do have a couple of camp chairs in the back and sometimes take a small easy up... Less set up outside...

In the end... I got about 40 percent back from my initial purchase price....I was surprised how many people said that they wanted a bathroom....

And... when you go to sell ... people always seem to think that they should get it for a fraction ...the cheapest price...

My advice is to never purchase brand new....you will lose EVERY time on your return on investment...... the only exception is if you are planning on keeping your purchase for 20 years....

Get a vehicle that makes you happy and use it as long as you can....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen area Nest Egg Trailer .jpg (186.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20140117_105003.jpg (152.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20140607_133854.jpg (174.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20140223_093114.jpg (182.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20140617_111959.jpg (426.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20140611_205909.jpg (120.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20160324_141511.jpg (286.0 KB, 4 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Let me know what you think. I am interested in Class B, Galleria model 24FL with LI3 Lithium but for the year-2019-20. We have been making plans to fly from Tampa, Florida up to Toledo, Ohio by way of America Airlines, as they seem to be the only airlines making this trip. So from Tampa, Fl to Charlotte, NC onto Toledo, Ohio, which is about 70-miles East off the Hwy from the http://coachmenrv.com Coachmen, manufacture. I will be staying at a Hotel close to http://shaferrv.com Shafer's Truck and RV Sales in Delta, Ohio 43515. Now I have not made contact with anyone at the dealership. just in case something changes between now and April 2019 or after. If anyone has some suggestions. as I have done a lot of research as to models of Class B's that will work best for me and the wife. What I would like is any feedback from anyone who may have made this type of trip prior. This will be my 3rd RV having owned 2-Class A's. Winnebago Tour and a Forest river Reflections 38' foot. Both did the job and worked very well for us. As to why a Class B, I like to sleep mostly in hotels, HOA's are an issue with large vehicles, parked anywhere near the community. Something my wife can drive and park without fear. As we do our road trip we eat lunch, shop and relax in the RV as we drive and sightsee parks and area's around the USA. I am also thinking of driving into Canada and Alaska. So there will be some overnight stays in the RV. I enjoy outdoor cooking and can cook along the roadsides or RV parks should we need them. As for dealers, I ask for a good price and start negotiations.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:25 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Let me know what you think. I am interested in Class B, Galleria model 24FL with LI3 Lithium but for the year-2019-20. We have been making plans to fly from Tampa, Florida up to Toledo, Ohio by way of America Airlines, as they seem to be the only airlines making this trip. So from Tampa, Fl to Charlotte, NC onto Toledo, Ohio, which is about 70-miles East off the Hwy from the Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes Coachmen, manufacture. I will be staying at a Hotel close to Shafer's Truck & RV Sales LLC Shafer's Truck and RV Sales in Delta, Ohio 43515. Now I have not made contact with anyone at the dealership. just in case something changes between now and April 2019 or after. If anyone has some suggestions. as I have done a lot of research as to models of Class B's that will work best for me and the wife. What I would like is any feedback from anyone who may have made this type of trip prior. This will be my 3rd RV having owned 2-Class A's. Winnebago Tour and a Forest river Reflections 38' foot. Both did the job and worked very well for us. As to why a Class B, I like to sleep mostly in hotels, HOA's are an issue with large vehicles, parked anywhere near the community. Something my wife can drive and park without fear. As we do our road trip we eat lunch, shop and relax in the RV as we drive and sightsee parks and area's around the USA. I am also thinking of driving into Canada and Alaska. So there will be some overnight stays in the RV. I enjoy outdoor cooking and can cook along the roadsides or RV parks should we need them. As for dealers, I ask for a good price and start negotiations.
With respect to advances in RV electricals, a year is more and more becoming a long time, so what you consider the optimum choice today may not be the choice a year from now. But that said, your current focus on the Galleria Li3 is well thought out, particularly the FL floor plan. Their soft-close cabinetry is a cut above anything that WGO, Roadtrek or Pleasureway is producing today. Their shower plumbing uses a water saving feature called the Power Miser that recirculates hot water decreasing water waste when showering. I particularly like the FL version because the refrigerator is built by Nova-Kool and provides not just twin evaporators but separate compressors for the fridge and freezer compartments which for refrigeration is as good as it gets. That particular fridge is exclusive to the FL floor plan. And the rear side sofas are usable in the entirety because they aren't encumbered by overhead cabinets. You can also opt for the 300 watt solar system which IMO is a no brainer.

I'm not a diesel fan but Mercedes providing the advanced safety features notably absent from Ford, Chevy and Dodge IMO is a very strong point in favor of the Sprinter platform used by the Galleria.

Shafer seems competitive, at least on line. If you end up dealing with them directly, let the forum know about your experience with the quality of their prep/checkout of all systems.

But certainly don't rule out the WGO Travato 59/G/K Pure which is getting a lot of positive attention for it's very advanced electronics. Wincrasher is currently wringing out one of them.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:39 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Very cool teardrop!!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 AM   #27
Gold Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Let me know what you think. I am interested in Class B, Galleria model 24FL with LI3 Lithium but for the year-2019-20. We have been making plans to fly from Tampa, Florida up to Toledo, Ohio by way of America Airlines, as they seem to be the only airlines making this trip. So from Tampa, Fl to Charlotte, NC onto Toledo, Ohio, which is about 70-miles East off the Hwy from the Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes Coachmen, manufacture. I will be staying at a Hotel close to Shafer's Truck & RV Sales LLC Shafer's Truck and RV Sales in Delta, Ohio 43515. Now I have not made contact with anyone at the dealership. just in case something changes between now and April 2019 or after. If anyone has some suggestions. as I have done a lot of research as to models of Class B's that will work best for me and the wife. What I would like is any feedback from anyone who may have made this type of trip prior. This will be my 3rd RV having owned 2-Class A's. Winnebago Tour and a Forest river Reflections 38' foot. Both did the job and worked very well for us. As to why a Class B, I like to sleep mostly in hotels, HOA's are an issue with large vehicles, parked anywhere near the community. Something my wife can drive and park without fear. As we do our road trip we eat lunch, shop and relax in the RV as we drive and sightsee parks and area's around the USA. I am also thinking of driving into Canada and Alaska. So there will be some overnight stays in the RV. I enjoy outdoor cooking and can cook along the roadsides or RV parks should we need them. As for dealers, I ask for a good price and start negotiations.
Very nice photos! It looks very new. I think they can find the right owner.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I have had some "meh" luck with local dealers. One wanted me to sign a NDA before they would go below MSRP, prompting me to walk. Another has their own "MSRP" which was 20 percent above factory MSRP, which I laughed at, went elsewhere. Still another place had the attitude of, "people buy them at MSRP, we ain't haggling."

The most straight-up places I've dealt with near me are the Sportsmobile guys and PPL (although they don't sell new stuff.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I have had some "meh" luck with local dealers. One wanted me to sign a NDA before they would go below MSRP, prompting me to walk.
If the seller meets your bottom line offer, what's the problem with signing an NDA if the subject of the agreement is limited to the sales price?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
If the seller meets your bottom line offer, what's the problem with signing an NDA if the subject of the agreement is limited to the sales price?
The salesperson would not talk price for any reason until I signed paperwork, which included a NDA, arbitration clauses, and so on. Sorry, any dealer demanding I sign away my rights before they even bother to deal business with me doesn't get my patronage.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #31
Platinum Member

In that case, I'd have walked, too. Before the additional details were communicated I was of the opinion that signing an NDA wouldn't be a deal killer, although I'd question its necessity. MSRP is a fiction.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
The salesperson would not talk price for any reason until I signed paperwork, which included a NDA, arbitration clauses, and so on. Sorry, any dealer demanding I sign away my rights before they even bother to deal business with me doesn't get my patronage.
I agree... I wouldn't touch a company like that with a bargepole. Suggests that they are so sleazy that they have lots of unhappy buyers trying to sue them.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #33
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Wow, that's very reassuring news. Reading the initial accounts of your travails with Sportsmobile West, both here and on the sportsmobile forum, it sounded like it could have gone the other way.

Congrats on pushing through what seemed like an unusually difficult build and finally getting a good finished unit. Hope it provides you many great journeys!
Just to update you, after I last posted, stuff started breaking again in the sportsmobile. They would not let me come back down to Fresno and have it fixed, and since you’ve been following the story on the other forums, you know why. It was absolutely infuriating. They were denying me warranty repairs because they did not want me, a gay guy, in their office. They were very clear about it. I could barely get them to send me parts so I could fix things myself. But they did. But it was like pulling teeth. So after being treated the way I was treated before, and then this new incredible mistreatment- that was it for me. The last straw. I put the sports Mobile up for
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #34
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post

Just to update you, after I last posted, stuff started breaking again in the sportsmobile. They would not let me come back down to Fresno and have it fixed, and since you’ve been following the story on the other forums, you know why. It was absolutely infuriating. They were denying me warranty repairs because they did not want me, a gay guy, in their office. They were very clear about it. I could barely get them to send me parts so I could fix things myself. But they did. But it was like pulling teeth. So after being treated the way I was treated before, and then this new incredible mistreatment- that was it for me, the last straw. I put the sh*tmobile up for sale At a really low price and it sold the next day. I sold it for exactly what it cost us to purchase, have a top put on, and the build out- minus the mileage depreciation. Not a penny more. I could have gotten more, but I wanted it out of our driveway and away from me. An absolutely wonderful girl bought it and she could not be happier. She’s using the money she saved by buying my van, to have proper plumbing and propane and windows installed. And those homophobes/bigots in Fresno were forced to forward the remainder of the pop top warranty to the new owner. I literally gave them no choice. I don’t let people take advantage of me, or try to screw me over, so I didn’t. I simply let them know that I was going to light them up all over social media with the videos, pictures, and audio I had. Literally the worst consumer nightmare I have ever been involved with. Absolutely despicable. Their lawyer promised me an apology letter from Jonathan Feld and their homophobic and completely unapologetic secretary, in exchange for me signing a gag order and not posting anything to social media. I have to this day still not received the apology letters. So, I’m going to post everything on YouTube and Facebook etc. This will not be good for them. But, I don’t care just like they didn’t care.

I have since bought a new cargo van and had the most beautiful build out done by a guy in Oakland California. Best decision ever.
Swinging back around to the original post, I would never buy an RV from a dealer again. I would build my own again. Dealers are horrible. And once they have your money, they don’t give a f*ck. And that is terrible for the majority of people who buy new or used units from a dealer.

OK, rant over. I just wanted to update you .
Old 02-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #35
Gold Member

I just posted a couple of pictures… They’re on another thread on this forum, but here’s the link…

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post89595