Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Unique use for class b

Hi all. Hope you can help! My daughter is like the boy in the bubble from the 70s. We had a Born Free but it was just too big. I need to seat 5 and occasionally sleep 4 (no more than 1 night). 2 sleepers are kids. We can share space.
I'm worried about the safety of the couch seats vs. captain like chairs.
I'm considering a Pleasure Way Lexor MP, a RoadTrek Versatile 170 or Popular 190. I also will need to mount a mobility scooter on the back. Does the door mounted spare on the PW help with that vs the Continental mount on the RT? I also would consider Sportsmobile if anyone has input on them. Seems like a lot of work to make it perfect though.
I think the RT Adventurous or other 22+s are too big for everyday running, but perfect otherwise.
This would be our primary vehicle for everything as well as a few longer trips throughout the year. Without a vehicle like this she is pretty much home bound-can't go into stores, restaurants, gas stations and most hotels to use facilities so we stay home.
Thanks in advance for any and all help, suggestions and input! It's appreciated more than you know.
-mouse
Mousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Unique use for class b

Sportsmobile might be good choice. You'd need to talk to them about the seating. http://www.sportsmobile.com/contact.html There's a very active forum here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/index.php

Do you want the kitchen facilities? (fridge, microwave, sink, stove)
Do you want a shower in the van?

A Roadtrek 170 might be too small. It would be great for everyday driving though. You'd have to see one.

Would you buy a new Class B? If so, Roadtrek might be able to do something semi-custom. It would be ordered through a dealer but I think they'd discuss it directly with you.
Roadtrek is not promoting their 190 Simplicity but it my understanding that they will build one if a customer wants one. Link to Simplicity: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=1697
I mentioned the 190 Simplicity because it would cost less than the 190 Popular. (less features) Brochure: http://www.roadtrek.com/_images/brochur ... ochure.pdf

Here's another Class B forum to ask for opinions: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... rum/21.cfm Lot's of knowledgeable people there also.

I think the sofa seating would have to meet a safety standard to be allowed.
4 seats up front for driver and passengers might be preferable for driving around as a family. (edit: I just remembered you need seating for 5)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the forum links. Seems overwhelming to design a sportsmobile, but will talk with them ASAP.
Yes, we need the kitchen, fridge is the biggest issue. Shower not so much. We have 4 passengers all the time, a 5th passenger occasionally. It would have to be new because of all of my daughters issues. We're in south GA so heat/furnace is a non issue, A/C more so.
I'll look into the Simplicity. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Looks like you can get a quote for a Simplicity here: http://www.dickgoresrvworld.com/invento ... icity.aspx

Also, get a quote for 190 Popular too make sure the "savings" is worth getting less features.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Other than Roadtrek are there any current model Class B's that can sleep 4?

Would it be better for a family of two adults and two children to use one king size bed in a van for overnights? I'm thinking less bedding to carry and store.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

My money's on Sportsmobile. They will walk you through the whole process and will get you exactly what you need.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

when something needs to be special I'll say Sportsmobile is by far the best choice. It seems all others just have their own layout, pretty much take it or leave it which are fine for the average person/camper
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #8

With sportsmobile, how much do I need to know to have them build one? Will they literally walk me through? I poured over their site today and am worried I will forget little details that would be included in a RT or PW. Their site has so much information and choices!
If the PW Lexor MP is almost perfect. RT 190P is close, too. I just don't know if they are good enough. Does that make sense?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes they will walk you through the process. There are very good examples in the gallery section. Call them and find out.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Here's a list of "talking points" to have handy when you call. Most factory converted vans will have these items.
Ask if it has / needs / what is it for / do I need it:

Isolator – separates house battery from engine battery to prevent a dead engine starting battery
House Battery – provides 12v power to the coach
House Battery Disconnect Switch – disconnects the house battery to prevent discharge
Converter – provides 12 volt DC and charges house battery when plugged into grid
Inverter – gives you 110 volt AC from a 12 volt DC source
Generator – used to provide 110 volts AC
110 volt electrical panel with breakers
12v distribution panel with fuses
Transfer Relay - automatically switches from generator power to grid power
Fridge
Stove top
Furnace
Thermostat
Water Heater – propane or combo propane and electric, can DSI (lit automatically) or pilot light (manual)
Water Heater by-pass valve – used when winterizing
Water Pump
City water connection – lets you use campground water instead of onboard water
Fresh water tank
Fresh water tank fill
Fresh water tank drain
Waste Tanks
Waste Tank discharge valves – black tank and grey tank dumping valves
Waste hose storage
Front seats may swivel to face rear of van – extends the van living space
Propane detector – 12v propane leak detector
C0 detector – carbon monoxide detector
Smoke detector
Monitor panel showing propane, battery charge state, water and waste levels
Propane fill valve
Propane shutoff valve
110 volt 30amp power inlet
Cable TV inlet
TV outlet
TV, stereo
Shower
Air Conditioning (both for the coach and the cab)

I may have forgotten a few things so anyone please add to the list.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Great West Vans probably has the most extensive experience in setting up Class B's with wheelchair accessibility. They are only converting Sprinters at this time but they have in the past done several custom conversions with wheel chair lifts. Sportsmobile and Advanced RV have also stated they would do custom work.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

Thanks for that extensive list! Have a phone appointment this week. I'll let ya know if we come up with something. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Platinum Member

If you are working with Sportsmobile you may wish to talk to Texas and Indiana. It is my understanding that they may vary in what they will build. You can also buy the van yourself new or used and they will make it into a motorhome. Might be better for a loan to have it all done by them.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #14

After speaking with sportsmobile, I'm afraid to jump in as it will not be possible for me to visit at any point during the process. The whole thing would be email and phone. That doesn't seem like a good idea when spending so much. If anyone else has done it sight unseen, I'd love to hear about it.
The PW Lexor MP would fit my needs as would the RT Versatile. I'm concerned with the versatile because it is on the smaller Chevy, smaller load amount, and tanks sizes. The PW is almost perfect, just very little storage. Any suggestions, experience with either? No dealer I've spoken with has even seen a Lexor MP, not a very popular model. There's a RT dealer 20 minutes away, the closest PW is 3hrs. Does that matter in the long run? Don't want to buy something just because it's right there. Thanks all!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Closer is better when or if you have to get work done. Maybe call some RV shops that are close to find out if they work on all brands.
Check with the Roadtrek dealer about the possibility of a 190 Versatile - RT seems very flexible these days.
I bet people get Spotsmobiles built all the time from a distance through email and phone calls.
What State are you in? I sent an email to a contact at Pleasure-Way to see if they can locate a Lexor MP. I'll post their reply.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #16

Thanks! We're on the coast of GA. A 190 Versatile would be ideal. I'll check on that as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I emailed someone at Roadtrek about ordering a 190 Versatile and will post the info I get back.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Pleasure-Way responded quickly and located a Lexor MP in stock.
I sent you the details via private message because you are right, they are rare.

If it is too far away from you let me know so that I can post the details here in case someone else is seaching for one.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #19

Thanks, Mark. I spoke to the folks there in MN. Yes, it is too far for me.
They did a YouTube video of the van, so that's helpful. I still have a few questions. There are only 2 videos of that model on YouTube. A few of the Versatile 190. Thanks for everything, Mark.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Platinum Member

You're welcome. You'll find that all of the online RV communities have friendly, helpful people.