Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Roadtreks are not well insulated, at least from we have seen. A little foam to fill openings around stuff, a bit of fiberglass insulation under some areas. We have a 07 190P, so we have seen it close up

Everyone seems to complain about the insulation in their production class b's, unless you get up to the ARV price range.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Point of diminishing returns......

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Roadtreks are not well insulated, at least from we have seen. A little foam to fill openings around stuff, a bit of fiberglass insulation under some areas. We have a 07 190P, so we have seen it close up

Everyone seems to complain about the insulation in their production class b's, unless you get up to the ARV price range.
I'm not spending $250,000 on a Class B.......

https://advanced-rv.com/portfolio-item/cruzmobile/

My 2012 RS Adventurous is fine for me.... I'm not sure if they have made improvements over the years.... there's definitely a build quality difference between the 2007 190 and the 2012 RS.... Not to mention the chassis and engine...

If you like your RV... just enjoy...

Let's not argue about it..... It's a choice....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
When I said "true Class B" I meant simply that: a small motorhome built on a van chassis. That could be a Sprinter, a Chevy, a Ford, a Dodge/Ram, whatever. It could be a VW van.

The differentiation is to separate a "true Class B" from those, like my Phoenix Cruiser, that is marketed as a B+. They are Cs without a bunk overhead and they are often marketed as simply Bs or B+s.

The term B+ originated in circa 2003 when Gulfstream introduced a line called BT Cruiser which was and still is marketed as a B+. They are a C in all respects without a bed overhead.

AND, many Cs are poorly constructed. As a general rule, they are far less quality than virtually all the "true" Bs out there.

I am sorry if my use of the technical and historical nomenclature offended anyone. RVIA established those standards long ago.

I am sure that if and when certain medical issues are no longer a problem in our family we will revert back to sole B ownership, but in the meantime we own a B and a Phoenix Cruiser, which is generally considered one of the three or four top of the line Cs made today. That arrangement allows us to continue to adjust to our personal situation and enjoy RVing.

Paul
Paul, you didn't offend me at all...no problem....

And, as you know, there's no such thing as Class B plus... marketing folks.... when you register the vehicle it's a Class C......

Your Phoenix Cruiser is very similar to the Winnebago Navion I looked at and almost purchased..... I drove it and it felt more like a boat... wiggling around....I prefer the slimmer and more manueveable Roadtrek RS Adventurous.... just me...

The fact that you "enjoy" your 2007 RT is a real testament to how good they are... just my opinion.

I see you wrote this below....... VERY TRUE.....

AND, many Cs are poorly constructed. As a general rule, they are far less quality than virtually all the "true" Bs out there.

I would say on average that you can more easily rely on finding a good
Class B than many Class C's.....big boxes on vehicles that have storage space... but can't carry the weight people want to carry....

Your PC with the Sprinter diesel... how's this working for you on maintenance?
Do you have a lot of miles on this?? Any issues with emissions...?

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/2350.html
Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #24
Platinum Member

No problems at all with the Phoenix Cruiser maintenance or service wise............it's on a Ford 350 Chassis and never been to the shop except for oil changes. BUT, no question that driving a Ford truck is a heck of a hassle compared to driving a MB Sprinter or a Promaster or my eleven year old Chevy Roadtrek or any B.

Phoenix makes that model on both the Ford and Sprinter. We bought this one from a first time RVer that had it eleven months and decided he wanted a diesel pusher A. It had 7,000 miles on it and was less than five miles from our house.

The Ford V10 is a heck of an engine but it roars like a hurricane.. Driving it is driving a truck. Driving a B is driving a van. Just plain and simply put one heck of difference in ease and comfort. 500 miles in a C and you are worn slick. 500 in a B and you are no different than driving a big SUV.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default Understand.... didn't want that ....thanks....

Quote:
No problems at all with the Phoenix Cruiser maintenance or service wise............it's on a Ford 350 Chassis and never been to the shop except for oil changes. BUT, no question that driving a Ford truck is a heck of a hassle compared to driving a MB Sprinter or a Promaster or my eleven year old Chevy Roadtrek or any B.

Phoenix makes that model on both the Ford and Sprinter. We bought this one from a first time RVer that had it eleven months and decided he wanted a diesel pusher A. It had 7,000 miles on it and was less than five miles from our house.

The Ford V10 is a heck of an engine but it roars like a hurricane.. Driving it is driving a truck. Driving a B is driving a van. Just plain and simply put one heck of difference in ease and comfort. 500 miles in a C and you are worn slick. 500 in a B and you are no different than driving a big SUV.
Paul,

Could not have said it better.... I've driven a 26 foot UHaul truck once from Reno to LA... what a freaking nightmare..V8..10 MPG... screaming engine.. barely made it up hills... laborious steering and handling... terrible brakes.... NOT pleasant....

I think I know WHY ... the guy who purchased the diesel pusher hated driving the V10...

The 3 litre V6 turbo diesel engine is remarkably quiet...for a diesel....does not scream going uphills......

Also... handling on the Ford F53 chassis can be a problem, I would recommend that you call Super Steer in Grants Pass Oregon for advice .. talk with Dave..he is great..

I'm sure you got a good deal on your rig... what did you pay for the 2013 and how long have you owned it??

I've driven my Sprinter 500 miles in one day... it's certainly easier than the truck...but, still I try to go 300 to 400 otherwise, all you see is road.... nothing else....

You're probably right about less maintenance on the Ford.. but, once you've driven the Sprinter it's hard to go back to the Ford.....

I've rented and driven plenty of vehicles.... there's a lot of difference between the domestic and Mercedes Benz... steering, braking... and MPG...I'm getting 18 to 20...
Over time fuel is the most expensive commodity you put in any vehicle.....

How did you like my rig?? I see you didn't have anything bad to say about it.... I sent you the link to the actual vehicle I purchased...

They wanted $120,000 for a brand new 2016 Navion when I decided to get my 2012 for the price of $79,000 plus tax... only had 26,000 miles...... Figured... that's nothing for a diesel....

How many miles on the Roadtrek??

We've taken the RS Adventurous across the USA last year and are doing it again in the fall....

I got new Koni FSD shocks antisway and trac bar for increased stability... made a significant difference...all from Super Steer....call them if you are concerned about the handling...

Do you get more than 12 MPG in the PC.??? And how many miles are on the PC now....

Probably 8 to 10 or less uphill......

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm

Enjoy using the RV...no time like the present...

---MARK
Old 07-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Actually, the guy I bought the Phoenix Cruiser from didn't sell it because of the V10 Ford. He was new to RVing and started out with a Sprinter based PleasureWay, then a Phoenix Cruiser, then a diesel pusher. He did all this in less than three years.

I never worry about gas mileage. I just fill 'em up and go. Our Roadtrek 210 with the Chevy 6L gets probably 14-15 mpg on a good day's run for several hundred miles. It has plenty of power for Rocky Mountain passes and drives like my Jeep Grand Cherokee except the RT is more comfortable for several reasons.

Our Phoenix gets about 10 mpg and I simply have not experienced the handling problems some express. Perhaps, some of it is because I accept the fact it is a truck, not a B. Or, maybe I am just lucky!!

I know some folks on the Class C forums that have worked and worked to get their Ford based rigs to handle to their satisfaction.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:35 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default MPG over a 100,000 miles trip

Quote:
Actually, the guy I bought the Phoenix Cruiser from didn't sell it because of the V10 Ford. He was new to RVing and started out with a Sprinter based PleasureWay, then a Phoenix Cruiser, then a diesel pusher. He did all this in less than three years.

I never worry about gas mileage. I just fill 'em up and go. Our Roadtrek 210 with the Chevy 6L gets probably 14-15 mpg on a good day's run for several hundred miles. It has plenty of power for Rocky Mountain passes and drives like my Jeep Grand Cherokee except the RT is more comfortable for several reasons.

Our Phoenix gets about 10 mpg and I simply have not experienced the handling problems some express. Perhaps, some of it is because I accept the fact it is a truck, not a B. Or, maybe I am just lucky!!

I know some folks on the Class C forums that have worked and worked to get their Ford based rigs to handle to their satisfaction.
I'm getting 18 to 20 MPG, let's call it 18 reliably, so, over 100,000 miles, I'll use about 5,500 gallons of fuel, while your Phoenix at 10 MPG and maybe less at times climbing steep grades, will use 10,000 gallons....

I did some quick math at CA fuel prices and you would have paid about $35,000 in fuel alone... the higher MPG would be about $18,000 to $20,000 or at least $15,000 less in terms of cost.

That fuel savings will pay for a lot of service calls on the Mercedes.

As far as handling goes, I wouldn't just "accept" that it's a truck and you have to put up with whatever it does... I presume you want safety and ease of use while driving. Just for your info, here's the web site on this.

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/supersteer-products

The guy that traded all of those vehicles in 3 years must have some deep pockets, that's a really expensive thing to do.

Enjoy both your Roadtrek and PC.... but, sounds like you are more comfortable driving the 210...

You didn't mention what you paid for the PC... maybe you'd rather not disclose that?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Hi, I just wanted to share a little tip that really helped us deal with the heat issues when your trying to sleep in the van. We went through a similar experience when travelling to Galveston last year, my wife was not a happy camper in that heat. So I bought 2 small, wall mounted rotating 12 volt fans, with multiple speed settings, I think I bought them off of Amazon. I mounted them just in front of the bed , and added 2, 12 volt receptacles. Wow, what a difference it has made, it really took it from unbearable to a pleasant sleep again, you can choose what speed you want and if you want it to rotate or not,,,and for your shimmy issue, keep trying to figure it out, there are many parts in the front end, that could cause this, you just need to find the right one, if you can find the problem, you will really enjoy the driving experience again, if you can’t do it yourself, really look for the right shop to help you,,,,,,good luck,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #29
Rok
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice on the front end, Peppster66.

BTW, when we had the van built, we had a little 12 v fan put in the sleeping area on the advice of another GW owner. It REALLY came in handy this last trip.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #30
Platinum Member

As Pepster mentioned, some small fans really can help in hot weather.

We have two of the Caframo Scirocco fans mounted high just behind the front seats of the van. They can be pointed any direction and angle so very useful.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Does it matter what kind of fans you get? Those Caframo's are pretty pricey. I've seen 12V fans on Amazon and Walmart for $5-$25. No articulation at that price, but durability is my main concern.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #32
Platinum Member

We have the rear sofa bed and the Maxxair fan located above. With crack-opened rear doors the fan on low cooling air is often sufficient to keep us comfortable.

To keep open and locked the door we use this Hein’s device - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprinter-NC....c100012.m1985
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Some tips from solo travelers might be really helpful in this topic. Rok was solo on this trip. I tend to push it the few times I've traveled solo. I drive too long and start looking for a place to stay too late. As the day progresses when traveling with my wife, we'll know approximately when we'll want to stop driving and she'll look for places on the route ahead and make phone calls if necessary. I get the easy part, just keep driving.

Maybe a bit more planning ahead is required when traveling solo ............. ? ?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Does it matter what kind of fans you get? Those Caframo's are pretty pricey. I've seen 12V fans on Amazon and Walmart for $5-$25. No articulation at that price, but durability is my main concern.

We have had several different brands in our C190P, and I can say that without hesitation that we would spend the money for the Caframo's again. We can aim them to the front, rear or one of each to cool the front area which normally runs hotter, and send the air to the ceiling vent fan. We even made a couple of clothes drying bars to put across over the seats to hand stuff on too dry. With the two fans on them a microfiber bath towel dries in about 15 minutes, when it would take hours hanging on the mirror outside

It is too bad they are so expensive, but sometimes that is what it takes.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Some tips from solo travelers might be really helpful in this topic. Rok was solo on this trip. I tend to push it the few times I've traveled solo. I drive too long and start looking for a place to stay too late. As the day progresses when traveling with my wife, we'll know approximately when we'll want to stop driving and she'll look for places on the route ahead and make phone calls if necessary. I get the easy part, just keep driving.

Maybe a bit more planning ahead is required when traveling solo ............. ? ?

A lot of truth to this, especially in finding a place to stay. My copilot is not comfortable with a smartphone to find places to stay in the upcoming areas, so we wind up stopping so I can do it, which often gets delayed much longer than it should, and sometimes leaving us past camping areas due to lack of early planning. Most of us also just want the drive done when traveling alone just to get somewhere, too, which makes the trip even less enjoyable.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
BUT.....Bestine is actually better.....get it at an "art supply store"
Wow I didn't know they still made Bestine! Went through it by the gallons back in my pre-computer technical illustration days.
GreatDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #37

I have used De-Solv-It for sticky tape residue. I haven't found anything that removes old dried-up duct tape goo.
ThroatwarblerMangrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #38

Default Spin balance

2013 Era
Solved my front end shimmy by having the front tires balanced by spinning them on the truck. Had Mercedes dealer try for days and eventually give up.
Found a truck tire place that still spin balances on vehicle and WOW what a difference. A truck tire place is probably the only tire store that you will find the service.
kmgwood51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #39
Gold Member

I would use mineral spirits. Comes right off.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #40

An out of balance tire should cause a shimmy all the time, not intermittently.
Bad tire can cause all sorts of strange behaviors.
Alignment has to be way off to cause shimmy.
Get the front end checked for worn/loose/damaged/defective parts - soon!
Let us know what you find.
tydb is offline   Reply With Quote