Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Update on Wifi in Campgrounds

I searched the forum and found info from 2008, but thought I'd ask if anything had changed as far as how to get wifi when you're in a campground or other place where there are no other hotspots.

I have an iPhone4 and know I can create a wifi hotspot with it, but that takes a lot off the battery and I wouldn't be able to plug in in a campground, so I don't want to go that route. I talked with a Verizon rep and he said I needed a jetpack (router, I think) and it would cost about $120 a month for everything to have this portability.

Is there any other route to wifi-ness that is less expensive, but reliable?
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
I searched the forum and found info from 2008, but thought I'd ask if anything had changed as far as how to get wifi when you're in a campground or other place where there are no other hotspots.

I have an iPhone4 and know I can create a wifi hotspot with it, but that takes a lot off the battery and I wouldn't be able to plug in in a campground, so I don't want to go that route. I talked with a Verizon rep and he said I needed a jetpack (router, I think) and it would cost about $120 a month for everything to have this portability.

i have a straighttalk 4g hotspot that uses the verizon network. no contract- just buy gigs-no access fees
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Who's your iPhone carrier?

We use a Verizon phone plan, and I also have a Jetpack. It adds $20 to my plan. Of course it shares the data with the phones.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I think you mean "internet".

wifi is generally broadcast through an area ( like your house, or a hotel or a campground)...and most routers are good for 100' or so ( usually from clubhouse or shower facility building).
the closer you are to the router the better signal and faster speeds.
You are possibly going to share available internet access bandwidth with dozens of others.
so slow.

you can also access the internet from most cellular providers.

each may allow you ( some may not) to use your phone as a router- which will broadcast wifi and you can connect to that with your computer.
connection speeds depends of strength of the signal and how fast your provider allows data

for example straight talk often uses t-mobile's network- the speeds for a straight talk customer are often slower than a T-mobile customer standing next to them.

or you can get a "mifi" type device, most cell companies sell them. they are a router which connects to cell network independent of your phone and can usually support connections by multiple devices.

again I use T-mobile as an example, because that is what I use.

I have a $50 mifi, I activate it when needed on my family account- it can be very very fast.
$50 a month will get you a couple of streamed movies every day

another advantage to T-mo is canada and mexico are included for coverage in most areas- unlimited internet ( usually 3G), unlimited talk and text- no extra fees
in most other ( europe, asia etc.)international destinations unlimited 3G and text.
Talk is extra

however sometimes in the boonies...you are off the grid.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You might run into the battery getting low problem with any device. Did the rep say how long a jetpack would last?

Installing an inverter in the van would allow you to plug in your phone or other new device to charge it. That can be inexpensive or very expensive depending on the inverter you purchase and ease of access to the house battery.

A portable cell phone charger might be another solution. Or a couple of portable cell phone chargers. Something like this: Amazon.com: 20000mAh Portable Charger for Cell Phones/Tablets | Apple & Android Compatible | ExpertPowerŽ: Cell Phones & Accessories

Some battery booster / jumper or emergency car start devices have a USB port or even an outlet to allow charging of phones etc. Something like this: Amazon.com: Stanley J5C09 1000 Peak Amp Jump Starter with Built in Compressor: Automotive

I'm not recommending those specific products as I didn't read the reviews etc. They just turned up quickly on an Amazon search and are examples of the devices that could help.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I've kinda given up on my MiFi. Not a very high quality device. Some days it just will not charge. It's having one of those spells right now and sits dead in a drawer.

Tethering my laptop to the iPhone (as a hotspot) is more convenient and seems like a more reliable connection. Minutes are minutes so on the expense front it doesn't matter. Save yourself $40 bucks a month and just use your smartphone as your internet connection.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
....but that takes a lot off the battery and I wouldn't be able to plug in in a campground, so I don't want to go that route.
If the issue is about power, then (1) go the inverter route and plug into that (2) charge your phone via 12v - very easy- in your camper (I assume when you say "takes a lot off the battery" you are talking about the phone battery, not the camper battery) or (3) carry a battery pack to recharge your phone

Quote:
Those 2 words don't always go together in this case, depending on what you mean by "less expensive"

Quote:
....how to get wifi when you're in a campground or other place where there are no other hotspots.
If you want to access the internet via a cellular network (your phone or mifi ) and cannot get a good connection, then a cellular signal booster might help. Check out https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com who get good reviews. $$

If you want to access the internet out in the boonies or there just is no cell service, the only way is via satellite. Then you are talking $$$.

You might want to check out this site with lots of mobile internet info. Some free, but latest info is by subscription

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com
Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Lots to look into and learn. Thank you all. Probably more questions later after I read all the things you all suggested.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Lots to look into and learn. Thank you all. Probably more questions later after I read all the things you all suggested.
Please tell us what you learn and decide to do.

FYI -I do have a laptop, but leave it at home and only have a cell phone and tablet (both with cellular connections on a "shared" data plan). Tablet is useful - for reading news, weather, has a spreadsheet program to track expenses, watch movies.

Much of your decision will depend on how connected you need to be, i.e. how much data will flow between you and the outside world and how often you need it. For my wife and I, if we are out of touch, due to bad connections, it's just fine. Connecting every few days is okay. Even when in a area of good connections, we often just turn them off. We are out on the road, camping, hiking, biking, meeting people, etc. Being disconnected is actually liberating for us.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Being disconnected is actually liberating for us.
It's good to "turn off" but being connected can be a huge money saver..

the gasbuddy and rvparky apps shaved hundreds of dollars off our last trip- these we used as we were rolling...and then turn the stuff off once we land

Mike
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
It's good to "turn off" but being connected can be a huge money saver..

the gasbuddy and rvparky apps shaved hundreds of dollars off our last trip- these we used as we were rolling...and then turn the stuff off once we land

Mike
Agree!

Yes, I like being connected to find out info - weather, AllStays, Maps. But sometimes, I like to not read email or the news. Much nicer mornings with fresh coffee, listening to the birds, watching clouds....

Hell! I need to get out on the road soon!!! Fall is here!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post

again I use T-mobile as an example, because that is what I use.

I have a $50 mifi, I activate it when needed on my family account- it can be very very fast.
$50 a month will get you a couple of streamed movies every day

another advantage to T-mo is canada and mexico are included for coverage in most areas- unlimited internet ( usually 3G), unlimited talk and text- no extra fees
in most other ( europe, asia etc.)international destinations unlimited 3G and text.
Talk is extra

however sometimes in the boonies...you are off the grid.

mike
How is teh T-Mobile coverage once you get outside major urban cities?
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I LIVE in the boonies and Verizon and AT&T are the only ones that have a signal out here. T-Mobile is only for town where I come from.
Sounds like I'll be using my iPhone as a hotspot with a couple of portable cell chargers. That seems like the easiest and simplest solution.
Thanks to everyone who helped; I learned a lot.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Platinum Member

The little 12 volt accessory plug to USB outlet are handy for charging phones and other items also. Photo:

12 volt accessory plug to USB.JPG

You can charge your phone while driving with the dash 12v accessory outlets. Some RV's have a 12v accessory outlet in the conversion part of the van and it is connected to the house battery.

I'd avoid any that don't have an amp rating on them. A 2 amp or so rated unit should be good. The one I have shown in the photo has a 2.1 amp and 1 amp USB outlets.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
How is teh T-Mobile coverage once you get outside major urban cities?
pretty good- check the coverage map and see if it covers you.

In some areas the roaming was an att or other networks...roaming is free, but the internet roaming was limited to I think 1 gb a month with my plan ( which is unlimited on t-mo network)

there is no limit to internet outside of the USA, it is usually 3g- so slower. but fast enough for turn by turn direction.

aside from the rv, I travel for a living.

one of the work-arounds is that t-mo enables wifi calling.

in areas with no service- you might be able to use the campground ( or mcdonalds or other) wifi for calls in and out

mike

Tags
internet, wifi, wireless