Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Upgrade Advice for 06 Sprinter Campervan

Looking to do a couple of things first for the 06 GWV.

TV: OEM Sharp LCD seems to be shot. Small screen too.

Battery: Coach battery is original. Won't hold charge.

Tires: Michelin originals (20k miles) tread is good, sidewalls not-so-much.

Solar: Nothing on rig now. Want simple integration with existing electrical.

Rabbit Ears: Original is crank up and check signal type.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Well, we have a 2007 Airstream Interstate on a 2006 Sprinter, so I can speak in general terms to a couple of those things.

(1) It sounds like we both had the same TV. I sold my OEM Sharp LCD on Craigslist for ten bucks. We bought a cheap replacement for about $79 and I think it came from either Best Buy or maybe Fry's, which is an electronics store we have in the south and west.

(2) Battery and (4) solar - it depends on what your intentions are. Determine your travel scenarios, which will then dictate your needs, which could then be used as the basis for discussion.

(3) Tires - similar observation. GWVs of that era were apparently built on either Sprinter or Ford (according to my quick internet check), so it's difficult to discuss without knowing which one.

(5) Rabbit ears, I assume you mean TV antenna. For about fifty bucks, we bought one of those King Jack antennas that can be mounted on the OEM device that previously held the old bat wing. It improved OTA reception by about a thousand percent.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
(1) We bought a cheap replacement for about $79 and I think it came from either Best Buy or maybe Fry's, which is an electronics store we have in the south and west.

- Do you have to buy a specific 12 volt TV or ?

(2) Battery and (4) solar - it depends on what your intentions are.

- I think right now we are just going to get a new coach battery. Right now it has a Deka Marine Master Group 31 deep cycle type. Any suggestions on replacement brands to consider?

(3) Tires - similar observation. GWVs of that era were apparently built on either Sprinter or Ford (according to my quick internet check), so it's difficult to discuss without knowing which one.

-Sprinter with Michelins right now. Want to get 4 season tires as it will be driven in snow.

(5) Rabbit ears, I assume you mean TV antenna. For about fifty bucks, we bought one of those King Jack antennas that can be mounted on the OEM device that previously held the old bat wing. It improved OTA reception by about a thousand percent.

- Looking at one of those Winegard Dome type that automatically seeks stations.
Thanks for the input.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This is the T1N Sprinter now with about 20k miles. Like new except for coach battery and although the tire tread is good the sidewalls are showing age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 GWV.jpg (185.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Upgrade Advice for 06 Sprinter Campervan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
This is the T1N Sprinter now with about 20k miles. Like new except for coach battery and although the tire tread is good the sidewalls are showing age.
Nice looking van!

With that low mileage there is a good chance those tire are original and very old. Check their date codes and if they are over 7 years old consider replacing them. If 10 years or older you would be driving waiting for disaster.

Here is Tire Rack site that explains tire codes.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...161223190335:s

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Nice looking van!

With that low mileage there is a good chance those tire are original and very old. Check their date codes and if they are over 7 years old consider replacing them. If 10 years or older you would be driving waiting for disaster.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
It is going in for new tires and coach battery in January!

We like it so far. No rust to be found (yet). Not a scratch on it and like new inside too.

A bit more 'bling' than I really wanted but at 1/2 the price of a new one I didn't think we could go too far wrong. (crossing fingers, knocking on wood)
Old 12-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Team

One suggestion:
Unscrew the bezels around each of the upfitter-added penetrations (water fixtures, vents, shore power, etc) of the body and inspect for rust. It is very common for the installers to not properly treat the edges of their cuts. If you catch it before it becomes visible around the bezels, it is a trivial fix. Otherwise, not so much. Our Airstream Interstate of that era was spotless when we sold it with the exception of rust bubbles around each of the penetrations. Hopefully, GWV did better, but it is worth checking.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Oh, now that I see a pic of the rig, I remember a previous post and can place it. My bad.

We currently have a single Lifeline coach battery, GPL-27T. If your rig is also single-battery for the coach, and if it's configured similarly to the T1N Sprinter Airstream Interstate, bear in mind that you probably won't be able to stay off-grid for more than 24 hours, possibly 48 hours, before you draw down your battery too low to the point where you are risking damage. If you are driving long stretches, your alternator will bring it back up somewhat, but without solar, you may find yourself limited in what you can do with your rig. But this will not become an issue for you if you plan to stay exclusively in locations that have electrical hook-ups.

The TV we purchased for cheap had the capacity to run off 12 V but I have to ask my husband which one it was. I'm the bookkeeper in our family, but the bookkeeper is only as good as the husband's ability to deposit receipts in the in-box for filing, and I don't find that receipt right now.

Bear in mind that Jensen also makes pretty good RV TVs... their 19 inch 12 volt model is about $250 and we had one of those to start with but it got accidentally fried because my husband received incorrect information on how to wire it together with Apple TV.

We found ourselves to be satisfied with OTA TV. All we really want to see is local news and weather wherever we are traveling.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Get Michelin Defenders. They are basically the replacement for your tires. They are all season tires.

Any TV back then even if LCD flat panel was most likely analog and would need the digital converter box which you probably do not have since they weren't required until about 2010. So, if you think the TV is shot it is because it can't pick up over the air digital signals. Digital converter boxes were plentiful for a while but I wouldn't bother with one now. I'm pretty sure the TVs were 120v with a small inverter to operate off the battery. I'd replace with an inexpensive LED flat panel 120v you can buy at places like Walmart or Target if you already have that inverter.

That Deka Group 31 Marine battery was not the original battery. The easiest solution is to get another group 31 deep cycle marine battery and just shop for the best price. If your coach battery is under the passenger seat you would be better off finding a Group 49 AGM if the original owner had not made modifications. There is a height issue under the seat and the Group 49 fits. If they had moved it to the back under the floor then replace with like size that fits the box.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Get Michelin Defenders. They are basically the replacement for your tires. They are all season tires.

Any TV back then even if LCD flat panel was most likely analog and would need the digital converter box which you probably do not have since they weren't required until about 2010. So, if you think the TV is shot it is because it can't pick up over the air digital signals. Digital converter boxes were plentiful for a while but I wouldn't bother with one now. I'm pretty sure the TVs were 120v with a small inverter to operate off the battery. I'd replace with an inexpensive LED flat panel 120v you can buy at places like Walmart or Target if you already have that inverter.

That Deka Group 31 Marine battery was not the original battery. The easiest solution is to get another group 31 deep cycle marine battery and just shop for the best price. If your coach battery is under the passenger seat you would be better off finding a Group 49 AGM if the original owner had not made modifications. There is a height issue under the seat and the Group 49 fits. If they had moved it to the back under the floor then replace with like size that fits the box.
Thanks.

Michelin Defenders are all season tires and not really up to what I think I need. I should have been more specific in that a 4 season tire is probably better in that this rig will be used year round in Canada and go south for several trips yearly to warmer asphalt.

As for the TV - it is shot. No input from anywhere works. Tried the reset trick etc. I can get audio through headphones but nothing on the screen (black screen of death)... Can't yet tell what the power input is as it goes up into the cabinets.

Coach battery is in the rear, under the floor of the rig, close to the shore power connection. There is also an empty compartment on the opposite side that i'm assuming is for a second coach battery. Can't find a date code on the battery to see how old it is.

No modifications have been made as far as I can see. Original 30th Anniversary Great West Van Sprinter Van!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If the Walmart TV has a converter brick, you may be able to get a 12v plug for it, bypassing AC altogether.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
If the Walmart TV has a converter brick, you may be able to get a 12v plug for it, bypassing AC altogether.
I'll have to trace the wires back to see where they are connected.

Cost really isn't an issue. Getting the right 'tool' for the job is...!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:59 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Great West was not putting 12V TVs in so there most likely is a small inverter which means just buy a regular 120v TV that plugs into the 120V outlet if it is there. It should be. That was pretty much standard in that era.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Thanks.

Michelin Defenders are all season tires and not really up to what I think I need. I should have been more specific in that a 4 season tire is probably better in that this rig will be used year round in Canada and go south for several trips yearly to warmer asphalt.

As for the TV - it is shot. No input from anywhere works. Tried the reset trick etc. I can get audio through headphones but nothing on the screen (black screen of death)... Can't yet tell what the power input is as it goes up into the cabinets.

Coach battery is in the rear, under the floor of the rig, close to the shore power connection. There is also an empty compartment on the opposite side that i'm assuming is for a second coach battery. Can't find a date code on the battery to see how old it is.

No modifications have been made as far as I can see. Original 30th Anniversary Great West Van Sprinter Van!
You can get something like the Michelin XPS but then when you drive on dry pavement you won't be happy and I suspect you will drive on dry pavement most of the time. In Minnesota snow plowing is so good that pavement is dry the day after a snow. You really have to have some unique habits to need an aggressive tire as I think you will quickly learn you won't want to be driving much in snow if you can help it.

As I explained your TV can't get reception as it is analog. I don't know about Canada but all US channels are pretty much digital now except for some rare independent small stations.

I suspect since they moved to the rear in 2006 that the Group 31 battery would be the one to get if that was what was in there before. That's what I had in my 2011 GWVan and I would guess the box was the same. In 2011 they were still installing wet cell batteries and it was pretty easy to get to to top off with water, which I did on the start of every trip if needed.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #15
Platinum Member

White Christmas here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains!. The rig in front of the shop where it will stay for a day or two...
Merry Christmas to everyone here who have been so helpful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8416.jpg (235.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8419.jpg (186.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I've posted on subbing in a 21" samsung from costco- it is great ! this is the largest size which would fit on our swinging door ( $125)

native 12 volt, it has a transformer type power supply "brick", which we just don;t use.

it has a great very sensitive tuner, great menus and easy scanning for channels when we arrive and crank up the antenna.
has a headphone out- this thing wired into our PW without any wiring changes- I just had t make up a mount ( $3)

has a media player and movies or videos on usb drive play easy

I like it so much I just bought a similar 32" for the guest room at home $169- the 24" has been onsale for $99

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The Winegard automatic works very well. The gear train on ours failed so keep your purchase receipt. The warranty is two years and they sent a new dome at no cost. Hopefully this one lasts longer. It is great for stealth camping.

The control box is designed to replace a batwing pre amp so if you don't have one of those youn need to be resourceful. Mount the electronics on a hobby box and mount it to the wall rather than cut a big hole in the wall.
Harry 2003 C190P Roadtrek
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I might have bought a 2005 Great West Van instead of a Pleasure-way except for two things. The first was every available GWVan I saw had white painted cabinetry and I was dead set against that at the time. The other was the upper cabinet doors were bottom hinged and dropped down instead of lift up and out of the way toward the ceiling like the LTV and P-W. Those three Class Bs is what I had settled on in my research at the time.

White cabinetry with LTV was also very popular at the time. P-W was all Maple even though they claimed other finishes.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:11 AM   #19
Platinum Member

The East Penn DEKA deep discharge Group 31 marine battery (DC31DT) was totally down on water. Who knows for how long. Was probably installed 3-4 years ago.

Topped it up and now waiting to see if it will recover...what are the chances?

Also the specs for the battery (found online) say "105" under the 20 Hour Cap column - is this the amp hour rating used for solar and load calculations?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Question

The battery specs also say that it has "double insulated glass mat separators" - what exactly is that? And how is that different from AGM batteries?