Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #21
Platinum Member

It's really not about the fuel as it is the maintenance and exposure... don't have an accident commuting to work and back.... not a good plan.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melix View Post
Hello! We are in the process of buying a Pleasure-Way Lexor - 21ft long and in order to afford it I will need to sell my car and use the van as my 'car'. I am totally nervous about doing this, parking and getting around in our small town in this huge, long thing.

Does anyone use a 21ft long class b as their sole transportation? How is it working for you?

Thank you for your help!
Mel
I do that and it has forced me to use my bicycle for many trips. Obviously there are trips that require cargo or weather issues but at least 50% of my local trips are now on two wheels and I'm getting much needed exercise.
rickhoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #23

Default I use my 2017 Lexor TS as my daily driver.

The 21ft length allows you to park just about anywhere and the Promaster is highly maneuverable. Pleasureway’s attention to proper weight distribution makes it a delight to drive. Be sure to join the Pleasureway Owners Facebook group. It’s a nice group of helpful folks.
siduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I use my 17'9" Axion every day and LOVE IT!!!
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:08 AM   #25
Platinum Member

One of advantages of having that little minivan Jucy is it goes about everywhere without problems. The only issue is the occasional parking garage with low clearance. It's also insurable as a minivan.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:37 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Back to the insurance question, I talked to damn near every insurance company in the US... between me, FMCA, and an independent agent. The question was NOT how many miles or where you live or how often you drive the van. Two questions excluded me:

1. Do you own another vehicle? (No)
2. Do you have a residence? ie not full time... (Yes)

All of them would have insured me if I had another vehicle and a number of them would insure full-timers with only an RV. But, only National General would cover my situation.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Back to the insurance question, I talked to damn near every insurance company in the US... between me, FMCA, and an independent agent. The question was NOT how many miles or where you live or how often you drive the van. Two questions excluded me:

All of them would have insured me if I had another vehicle and a number of them would insure full-timers with only an RV. But, only National General would cover my situation.

Go buy a rust bucket as your "first" car.

My brother did.
The total premium was increased by $23
Old 05-05-2018, 03:26 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Did National General give you a reasonable rate?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:25 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Mumkin, we own two other cars... do you really want to drive the miles up on your RV just going to the market and other local places... ? Most insurance companies want you to use an RV as it's intended for recreational purposes...
Old 05-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #30

I use mine full time as a home care PT. Mine is 20 ft and live in Key West. I love it.
vfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I'm NOT saying that you can't do it..I'm sure a lot of people do...all I. I'm saying is that you may have an issue if the insurance company thinks that you're using this full time when they didn't write the policy for this purpose.....

Why not ask yourself WHY commercial insurance and full timers pay a lot more for coverage?
Old 05-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #32
Platinum Member

if you use your rv as a daily driver-you are putting miles on quicker-obviously. Vehicle warranty's expire quicker and resale value even if the house part is rarely used your roadtrek will mostly be judged on how many miles it has.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Not always obvious nor correct. I've had my rig for almost 3 years and it just turned over to 20,000 miles or appr 600 miles a month and that includes 3 round trips between AZ and MN - so that would mean only about 400 miles a month of usage as a car.

Why would I buy a junker to fill up my garage for the privilege of paying more?? I am already paying the same amount as I was paying previously for a more expensive RV plus a Toyota Sienna.

So... IMHO... I am being screwed by having to pay $1200 a month to Nat Gen.

It would be ludicrous to buy a car when I can drive my little van anywhere I need to go... only have one vehicle to maintain... for a car to sit in a garage for the 7 months I am in AZ... and THEN, I'd have to pay to store the RV because I don't have space for 2 vehicles in MN.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #34
Bronze Member

$88/ mo. with Progressive for my 2017 Carado (or as they have it listed Hymer) Axion. Give them a call, couldn't hurt. They asked me how much I plan to camp and I said 3 to 6 mo. per year. Good luck.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #35
Platinum Member

According to NADA RV values... NADA is the National Automobiles Dealer Association... diesel miles are NOT computed for value.....
Old 05-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Of course mileage does play an important role in gasoline vehicles.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #37
Platinum Member

While we have other vehicles, I choose to use the 210....mainly due to amenities. I really don't build up mileage traveling 50 miles round trip about twice a week. I have Progressive and it comes in at almost a $1K per, and there is no questions asked, etc. Progressive did mention they had some "sleeper" type program, where if you park the RV and don't move it for X months, the rates would go down....I will pay the extra to be able to drive when I want. I would like to be able to use to visit my Doctor's, but they have that tiered parking and no large vehicle parking.Ron
Old 05-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
While we have other vehicles, I choose to use the 210....mainly due to amenities. I really don't build up mileage traveling 50 miles round trip about twice a week. I have Progressive and it comes in at almost a $1K per, and there is no questions asked, etc. Progressive did mention they had some "sleeper" type program, where if you park the RV and don't move it for X months, the rates would go down....I will pay the extra to be able to drive when I want. I would like to be able to use to visit my Doctor's, but they have that tiered parking and no large vehicle parking.Ron
With both the Roadtrek and sometimes my old Buick, I just suspend all the coverage except comprehensive when not in use for extended times, like winter in Minnesota. At least with State Farm, all it takes is a call the agent to do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Cost of NOT using your RV

Regardless of how little you use your RV...it still costs a lot to maintain.... it's time or mileage on any vehicle.... storing it and not driving adds up fast for maintenance and even reduced insurance.... tires, oil changes, belts, and other critical components....

All told, if you pay for something and don't use it... it's the most expensive way to go... it's all about your total cost divided by the number of miles you travel...

Just saying you have extremely low mileage but it's cost you more than $2 per mile is not saving money..... some people actually have done this....on the other hand... going 350,000 miles even though you have repairs.... now, you're really getting your money's worth.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 AM   #40

I use my DIY converted 148" WB Transit as a daily driver for my job in sales. I drive about 1,600 miles/mo in the East San Francisco Bay Area. It's mostly urban, but nothing as bad as SF, so parking is generally not too difficult. I wish I was getting better than 15 MPG, but the only alternative is another car payment.

There are some distinct perks to driving your Class B as your sole vehicle. I always have fresh water and cold beverages to drink, and I never have to use public toilets. For lunch break, I often pull up to a scenic spot and use the microwave to heat leftovers or frozen entrees. I can take a nap in the afternoon on my full size bed, or if that doesn't work I can make a quick cup of coffee.

While I work, I have wi-fi and space to lay out my catalogs and papers in the back.
dustboy is offline   Reply With Quote