Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Using a CPAP in a Roadtrek

Does anyone have experience using a CPAP breathing machine in a Roadtrek? We have a 210 Popular, and there is an electrical outlet above the sofa/bed on the driver's side. Not sure where to put the machine itself. Any suggestions? Maybe a photo or two?

Thanks
rscrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscrogg View Post
Does anyone have experience using a CPAP breathing machine in a Roadtrek? We have a 210 Popular, and there is an electrical outlet above the sofa/bed on the driver's side. Not sure where to put the machine itself. Any suggestions? Maybe a photo or two?

Thanks
Could you get a longer cord for the machine and put it in a closet??

Isn't the machine noisy?? I don't know.. never used one...how large are they... maybe you can get a smaller size unit???

Available shelf??
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Could you get a longer cord for the machine and put it in a closet??

Isn't the machine noisy?? I don't know.. never used one...how large are they... maybe you can get a smaller size unit???

Available shelf??
Cord length and noise aren't a problem. The machine is about the size of a small loaf of bread, but I don't want to put up a shelf in the close quarters. Probably would bump my head when I got up, and it would be in the way when using the sofa.
rscrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

In our 08 RS Adventurous Sprinter I used a 12v adapter for the CPAP to avoid running the inverter at night. For the Sprinter models the entertainment cabinet is near the rear and a convenient place to plug in the CPAP. I put the CPAP in the cabinet above the head of the bed and left the cabinet door open at night and drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinet to drop the air hose down to the head of the bed. Modern CPAPs typically don’t draw much power if you are not using the humidifier.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Gold Member

Put mine inside the AV cabinet and used a 8 foot tube wrapped in a flannel cover. Works well. I use a remstar passive humidifier. Makes a huge difference in power consumption. Heated humidifiers really suck down the battery.

Get a 12 volt adapater, don’t mess with an inverter.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a Roadtrek RS with the bed in back that is left in bed configuration all the time. I use bungee cords to strap the Cpap to the upholstery on my side of the bed. I have a 12v native Cpap and there is a 12v outlet above the bed. I also carry an 120v ac adapter just in case. Not the best looking solution but I have easy access to the controls. It’s on my list to replace the bungees with something that looks nicer, but it works for me.

Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Ken, I sent you a private message....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I have a Roadtrek RS with the bed in back that is left in bed configuration all the time. I use bungee cords to strap the Cpap to the upholstery on my side of the bed. I have a 12v native Cpap and there is a 12v outlet above the bed. I also carry an 120v ac adapter just in case. Not the best looking solution but I have easy access to the controls. It’s on my list to replace the bungees with something that looks nicer, but it works for me.

Hi Ken, sent you a private message.

By the way... my wife figured out a way using a mattress pad that we roll up every night with sheets pinned to it and store it in the overhead cabinet in the rear of our RS.. so we could have the sofa during the day and the bed at night. Very clever....

I sent you some more stuff in the PM...

Talk with you soon.

--Mark
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

@KNIT: what make/model is your 12v machine? We use a 400watt portable inverter 12v>120v. Seems to work o.k. , but inverter fan makes more noise (in an overhead cabinet) than cPap does. I use earplugs!
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Happy camping!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #9

I have used a CPAP machine in my 2007 210P for 4 years and 3 years in my 94 190 P
and use a power pack when not hooked up to shore power but cannot use the humidifier
with the power pack. We have the night table between the single bed configuration where the machine sits when in use. You can buy a battery back up from most manufacturers but they are pricy.
Coveman
coveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Gold Member

I’ve used a cpap powered with only solar and batteries for many years. A heated humidifier is a huge power hog. I use a Respironics Remstar passover humidifier. It works well even in a dry climate.

I use the Resmed S9. We run two of them. I use an 8 foot hose with a flannel cover. The machines sit in the cabinets at the foot of the bed. They turn on when you start breathing into them and turn off when you take the mask off.

I use 12 volt adapters for power.

I have separate machines for the RV. The failure rate for CPAP therapy is around 50% so there are a large number of used machines out there available at reasonable prices.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Hi Ken, sent you a private message.

By the way... my wife figured out a way using a mattress pad that we roll up every night with sheets pinned to it and store it in the overhead cabinet in the rear of our RS.. so we could have the sofa during the day and the bed at night. Very clever....

I sent you some more stuff in the PM...

Talk with you soon.

--Mark

I can’t seem to see the PM. I’ll snoop and see why
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpap, roadtrek