Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Default Using our RT 200V in the Maine winter & tail light issues

Our plan is to take this RT out for a drive a couple/three times a week over the winter. It'll be parked on an level driveway with no tarp or anything else sheltering it.Is there anything special we need to do with all of the vents...especially the A/C vent. Worried about snow, sleet,freezing rain and, eventually, melting snow in the early Spring, getting into the vehicle and causing all kinds of havoc.We're already dealing with the leaking tail light assemblies (the Versatile, AKA "The Leaky Model" & "Bed Wetting Model") that have turned the bedding area into pretty much a sponge. Assuming we can correct that problem sooner than later, we'd like to keep the vehicle interior as dry as possible over the Winter months.

I'm wondering what folks here who have this model, or one similar, do about the open vents in the Winter if the vehicle is not sheltered.

As far as the leaking tail light assembly areas...it's a way too common issue with this model, and I'm surprised that RT never issued a recall to remedy the problem. Equally surprised that there was never a Class Action Suit filed because of it. In any event...really terrible design with these tail light assemblies and tech folks at RT offer no solutions other than find a dealer who will look at it. Good luck with that in these zip codes! In any event, RT's apparent design solution to this was to insert a tiny drain line in the assembly cavity. A drain line that actually runs INSIDE the vehicle behind
the fabric wall panels, and then, eventually, exiting out behind the rear bumper. Our drains are so clogged with debris from the leaking run off, that they don't drain at all. In fact, it's looking like the water-instead of going down the tube (it's clogged so shut that compressed air won't clear it out), runs down along the outside of the tube soaking anything it comes in contact with. Having to have a drain in a tail light seems insane to me. Why just not design it so that water can't get in? How many vehicles have drain lines in the tail light areas?
I really don't want to caulk around these lights with Crystal Clear because it would be such a hassle to remove them again to replace bulbs etc., and they are really a struggle to take out and put back in.- more great design.
For such a wonderful vehicle, it's really ashame that more thought wasn't put into the butt end of it.
Tucker's little brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Which chassis do you have? I have a 2001 Dodge 190 versatile and there is no drain.

With one of my sports cars, I have used these caulking strips to seal between the body of the car and the rubber housing that supports the taillights. The strips are very flexible and can be stretched or rolled to provide a nice bead. Place them on either the body or rubber gasket or back of the taillight. Then tighten down the mounting bolts and any sealer that spreads out can easily be trimmed with a sharpened piece of wood or a nylon trim tool. This material stays flexible and will not harden.

Eastwood Flexible Strip Caulk Bk 2-lbs

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Which chassis do you have? I have a 2001 Dodge 190 versatile and there is no drain.

Eastwood Flexible Strip Caulk Bk 2-lbs

Good luck.
It's 2000 Chevy 3500. I've ordered a new set of tail light assemblies and I'm hoping that they will be a better (tighter) fit. Not the same manufacturer so we'll see. The passenger side one I took off had a broken tab at the top and wasn't even close to seating properly.
Thanks for the link! Looks like something I may try.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hopefully the new taillight assemblies will fit better and tighter. One thing you can do to check for a tight fit is to cut several strips of paper and put the paper between the assembly and body and see if it holds tight. Go around the edge and see where it is tight and loose. The seam sealer can easily fill any small gaps.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmai View Post
Hopefully the new taillight assemblies will fit better and tighter. One thing you can do to check for a tight fit is to cut several strips of paper and put the paper between the assembly and body and see if it holds tight. Go around the edge and see where it is tight and loose. The seam sealer can easily fill any small gaps.

Good luck
Good idea! The new assemblies aren't due to arrive for another week or so, in the meantime, I'm going to fill the bottom of each cavity with JB Water Weld epoxy-essentially covering up the dysfunctional "drain", let it cure for a day, and then empty a cup or two of water into the cavity and see if it continues to drain out into the interior space. I don't believe it will.