Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Using Roadtrek Shower

We just bought a 2010 Roadtrek 210 Popular and wonder what experiences others may have with the (small) shower. We've had other motorhomes, including a Sprinter-based Great West Vans (similar to a PleasureWay). Used the shower once and found the plastic curtain restrictive. Apparently the Roadtrek is built so the shower drain is in the aisle, although the company video showed it being used inside the bathroom. We're inclined to use campground showers but wonder whether there are ways other owners have made the existing shower work for them. There's also an outside shower hookup. Has anyone used that?
THANKS.
rscrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I like it - tips -

- don't run the roof vent on high or it could pull the curtain in on you
- have a cleanup towel or two handy to wipe the floor up when done
- don't forget to open the floor drain
- everybody takes turns while it's in that mode

I look at the shower as one to use if I don't have another option like camp showers. It works well but ya have to learn how to take quick navy type showers (water on, get wet, water off - soap up - water on, rinse - water off.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:11 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We use our enclosed 210 shower. We never use the aisle shower option,as it is too much trouble for us. I use a 1/8 inch fiberglass rod to bow the shower curtain outward to slightly enlarge the shower area. There was a post somewhere else with other suggestions for enlarging the shower area.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #4

First thing I did after trying the shower was to add an extra link or two to the hooks holding up the shower curtain. The extra length was needed; one elbow to the curtain meant a water leak out onto the floor. Next project is to add an extra curtain to give more fulness (for my elbows) and to more completely cover the toilet.
Jillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Here are more details on my shower curtain mod to provide more room.

We like the full wet bath but taking a shower inside the bathroom was too tight for me. We have no plans to use the aisle shower as it is too much trouble to take up the carpets, remove the floor pan and drain, etc. A simple way to extend the size of the bath shower is to use a 1/8-inch fiberglass rod that I got from a kite store. I put plastic protectors on the ends of the fiberglass rods. You need to look at the pictures to follow along with the description. I drilled a hole in the shower head holder for one end of the rod. I attached a 3M stick-on wall hook on the right side wall of the bathroom. I drilled a hole in the hook to hold the other end of the rod. I also use the hook as storage to hold a metal spring rod that we use for holding wet towels for drying. The rod pushes the shower curtain out enough to give me elbow room to take a shower standing up. Just be careful to not push the bottom of the curtain past the lip, otherwise water will spill onto the aisle floor.

We also cut the shower curtain into two sections as we don’t need the full width since we don’t use the aisle shower setup. This has worked great as we can pull one shower curtain section out to all the way to go across the aisle to create a private dressing room when dressing after a shower, or as a privacy curtain when sleeping at night. Only one curtain section is needed in the bathroom doorway to keep water in the bathroom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shower1.jpg (151.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Shower2-1.jpg (54.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Shower2.jpg (171.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Shower6.jpg (93.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Shower7.jpg (98.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This is in a 2006 Roadtrek 210P. Some pictures display sideways; I don't know why or how to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shower8.jpg (80.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Shower9.jpg (87.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Shower11.jpg (79.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Shower12.jpg (119.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Who's talking privacy on a Class B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Here are more details on my shower curtain mod to provide more room.

We like the full wet bath but taking a shower inside the bathroom was too tight for me. We have no plans to use the aisle shower as it is too much trouble to take up the carpets, remove the floor pan and drain, etc. A simple way to extend the size of the bath shower is to use a 1/8-inch fiberglass rod that I got from a kite store. I put plastic protectors on the ends of the fiberglass rods. You need to look at the pictures to follow along with the description. I drilled a hole in the shower head holder for one end of the rod. I attached a 3M stick-on wall hook on the right side wall of the bathroom. I drilled a hole in the hook to hold the other end of the rod. I also use the hook as storage to hold a metal spring rod that we use for holding wet towels for drying. The rod pushes the shower curtain out enough to give me elbow room to take a shower standing up. Just be careful to not push the bottom of the curtain past the lip, otherwise water will spill onto the aisle floor.

We also cut the shower curtain into two sections as we don’t need the full width since we don’t use the aisle shower setup. This has worked great as we can pull one shower curtain section out to all the way to go across the aisle to create a private dressing room when dressing after a shower, or as a privacy curtain when sleeping at night. Only one curtain section is needed in the bathroom doorway to keep water in the bathroom
YES... the whole space is pretty small and limited water.
I think, maybe I'm wrong (no, not really)... that a Class B is really best for two people, and it's best that you like each other.... There's no such thing as privacy on a Class B...

On our RS Adventurous..the drain is in the bathroom area...we don't have to remove any floor in the aisle... sounds like a pain to me.... my opinion... further, if you are taking up the aisle, how does anyone get through..they don't.

I don't know...for me..the shower is an emergency option... we've never used it.
I guess we will at some point; but, if I have the option for a nice long shower at a campground and it's clean...I would probably opt for that over my rig..

Someone at Roadtrek told me that 90 percent off their clients insist on having a shower and bathroom on board, but, only 20 percent of the people they surveyed said that they actually used the shower.... interesting.

Not to mention... you have to quickly turn the faucet on and off...to conserve water...
And then you have to empty your tanks quicker...

It's pretty easy to dump the tanks... provided you can find a convenient location.....if you're not at a campground.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I don't know...for me..the shower is an emergency option... we've never used it.
I guess we will at some point; but, if I have the option for a nice long shower at a campground and it's clean...I would probably opt for that over my rig..
Agree with using campground showers if they are nice, closeby, and if weather is good. In 8 years I have used the shower about 10 times each year. DW has used it many more times when the CG shower was not up to her standards. It was the shower in the 210 that sold her on going to the Class B from a large 5th wheel previously.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Oh... please share more about why she didn't like the 5th wheel

Quote:
Agree with using campground showers if they are nice, closeby, and if weather is good. In 8 years I have used the shower about 10 times each year. DW has used it many more times when the CG shower was not up to her standards. It was the shower in the 210 that sold her on going to the Class B from a large 5th wheel previously.
OK....this is interesting.... my DW has mentioned that she might like a 5th wheel...I'm NOT interested in one...TOO BIG...and I prefer the Class B.... easier for driving etc and fuel...

Why on Earth did your wife like the shower in the B better?? I would have thought it would be the other way around?? Please explain.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
OK....this is interesting.... my DW has mentioned that she might like a 5th wheel...I'm NOT interested in one...TOO BIG...and I prefer the Class B.... easier for driving etc and fuel...

Why on Earth did your wife like the shower in the B better?? I would have thought it would be the other way around?? Please explain.
She does not like the Roadtrek's shower better than the 5th wheel shower. She likes the Roadtrek enclosed bath better than the aisle showers in some of the Class B's. Our 5th wheel actually had a tub shower and she's a tub girl. But overall she likes the Class B better as we can go many more places than we could in the 5th wheel. We got rid of the 5th wheel when our kids got older and didn't want to camp anymore. That was in 2003. We bought the Roadtrek in 2011 when the kids were gone.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Thank you...

Quote:
She does not like the Roadtrek's shower better than the 5th wheel shower. She likes the Roadtrek enclosed bath better than the aisle showers in some of the Class B's. Our 5th wheel actually had a tub shower and she's a tub girl. But overall she likes the Class B better as we can go many more places than we could in the 5th wheel. We got rid of the 5th wheel when our kids got older and didn't want to camp anymore. That was in 2003. We bought the Roadtrek in 2011 when the kids were gone.
Thanks for clarifying this. I agree that Class B's are so much more mobile than other RVs.. especially a humongous 5th wheel... which looks like a gigantic sail when towed down the road... I understand that many people have theirs just towed by others and set up for a 6 month stay.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Somewhat useless information

We've been RVing in a 1997 PW for about 3 years now. During that time there have been 2 destinations, Zion and Valley of Fire, that have had electric plus one campsite on our way to Glacier. We travel about once a month for an average of 4-5 days. Every....I mean every...morning I do a Navy shower in the tiny PW bath. Hair down to toes plus shave. Hey, for us it's camping. I know it's not like basking in a shower at home, but I use very little water and put very little in the grey tank. I use a plastic drink bottle which holds about 16oz. filled 2x plus the water in our tiny sink. I estimate less than 1/2 gallon of water into the grey tank each day. Yeah, not like at home. But an RV for us isn't. Every morning I start out the day completely fresh. I'm not saying that it's the protocol for everyone but it works for us. We average 4-5 day trips and never empty the grey/black until we get home.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
We've been RVing in a 1997 PW for about 3 years now. During that time there have been 2 destinations, Zion and Valley of Fire, that have had electric plus one campsite on our way to Glacier. We travel about once a month for an average of 4-5 days. Every....I mean every...morning I do a Navy shower in the tiny PW bath. Hair down to toes plus shave. Hey, for us it's camping. I know it's not like basking in a shower at home, but I use very little water and put very little in the grey tank. I use a plastic drink bottle which holds about 16oz. filled 2x plus the water in our tiny sink. I estimate less than 1/2 gallon of water into the grey tank each day. Yeah, not like at home. But an RV for us isn't. Every morning I start out the day completely fresh. I'm not saying that it's the protocol for everyone but it works for us. We average 4-5 day trips and never empty the grey/black until we get home.
Here's to that!

Since we started RVing in our old 2005 Interstate, I have literally never started a morning without an on-board shower. I consider using our own shower to be one of the great joys of owning our B. I have never been even slightly tempted to use one of those public showers instead.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I am with you guys! One of the reasons we have loved our Bs and B+s for thirty years is we can shower daily and never use a public shower. For my wife especially, having a private toilet on board is also a wonderful benefit. Otherwise, we would go back to a tent or just sleep in the back of our Jeep.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #15
Platinum Member

My wife and I are definitely in the 20% of people that use our small Class. B shower regularly. It is small but it works fine and we know it has been cleaned daily. We didn’t spend $100k plus to use a community campground shower but we are probably in the minority.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
My wife and I are definitely in the 20% of people that use our small Class. B shower regularly. It is small but it works fine and we know it has been cleaned daily. We didn’t spend $100k plus to use a community campground shower but we are probably in the minority.
I daresay that the "20%" statistic (attributed second hand to an unnamed "someone from Roadtrek" as cited by Some Guy On The Internet) counts as "hearsay".

Lots of folks use their showers.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #17
Platinum Member

We use ours every trip. The roomy shower was one of the reasons we chose the Paseo. We downsized from a 20 ft. toyhauler, and we find the shower in the Paseo is actually roomier than the shower in the toyhauler was. The only downside is having to wipe down the bathroom with a towel when you are done, but as long as you have a few towels along for that purpose it is no big deal.

Tags
roadtrek, shower