Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wanna see something ridiculous? Dynamax Rev 24TL

I would guess that the market is different. They don't need "manly" trucks just to haul a trailer. This is why you see VWs and other subcompacts sporting tow bars as a common sight there, but if one asks about towing here in the US, the weight police will descend on the asker without mercy.

European diesels are relatively small. All Ducatos are manually shifted, (not AMT... a manual with a clutch), so they don't need the added horsepower to handle the power loss due to an automatic transmission.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:17 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I would guess that the market is different. They don't need "manly" trucks just to haul a trailer. This is why you see VWs and other subcompacts sporting tow bars as a common sight there, but if one asks about towing here in the US, the weight police will descend on the asker without mercy.

European diesels are relatively small. All Ducatos are manually shifted, (not AMT... a manual with a clutch), so they don't need the added horsepower to handle the power loss due to an automatic transmission.

mlts22-what did you get. i must have missed it
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
500 chassis seems like a lofty goal. That is quite a commitment considering the size of this market!
500? They may sell 50.

Not a Dynamax experience, but Winnebago is selling all the Trend/Viva Promasters they can make. Also the Travato has finally taken off with the upgrades of the 59G and addition of the 59K.

Friends of ours have just bought a Trend 23L. He's a life long car guy besides his RV hobby. His 4 corner weighing and other checks on the capacities of the cutaway Promaster have returned a chassis and tires well within the capabilities of the PM in class C form. Chrysler sometime early last year started using a different Continental Vanco that's a higher capacity and speed
They just recently drove from west Texas to eastern Missouri for a rally we attended. We rode around the Ozark hills and city of Osage Beach, MO with them, and the vehicle loaded with 5 people rode and drove just fine. No excess sway or bouncing was noticed by me.
Chrysler early last year sometime started using a heavier duty Continental Vanco that raised the weight capacity and speed rating from the original Vanco they installed. Plenty of capacity for the chassis

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:30 AM   #24

By vanco, are you referring to heavier duty tires? How does that change the load capacity of the Promaster?
rkloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkloud9
By vanco, are you referring to heavier duty tires? How does that change the load capacity of the Promaster?
No, that's the model name of the tire. Sprinters come with these too as their optional "premium" tire. Nothing premium about the Sprinter ones. They get 30k max tread life and are noisy.

Doesn't change the load capacity. Early PM's had Vancos that were rated just at the limit of the PM's chassis. The newer installed ones have a higher rated capacity for some extra safety cushion

Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #26
Platinum Member

true sales figures for any model rv are an enigma-you think something sells great-the model gets cancelled-you think something stinks-it seems to be on sale forever.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I think my dealer would argue with you about how well they are selling. He'd be happy to unload one on you for $66k.

I haven't noticed that my Vanco tires are noisy. My old van probably had the lesser rated tires (if that is the case) and they rode and wore just fine.

Even if the tires have more capacity, they aren't getting around the 9350 lb chassis rating.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
No, that's the model name of the tire. Sprinters come with these too as their optional "premium" tire. Nothing premium about the Sprinter ones. They get 30k max tread life and are noisy.

Doesn't change the load capacity. Early PM's had Vancos that were rated just at the limit of the PM's chassis. The newer installed ones have a higher rated capacity for some extra safety cushion
The Continental Vanco tires on a Sprinter are NOT an optional premium tire. They are standard in US market and not top quality as you indicate. Michelins would be a premium tire, which is what I have now after wearing out the original Continental tires.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:

The Continental Vanco tires on a Sprinter are NOT an optional premium tire. They are standard in US market and not top quality as you indicate. Michelins would be a premium tire, which is what I have now after wearing out the original Continental tires.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
The Vanco on the Sprinter is/was the optional extra cost tire that's available. It may be the "standard" tire lately. I've seen Kumhos also on new ones, new as in 2012-13,14 time frame. Agree that the Vancos are not a premium tire even though they are priced about the same as the Michelins, which is a premium tire. Too premium for my pocketbook.....

Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #30

Just bought the Rev with the drop down bed, and look forward to getting to know it throughout and learn from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkloud9 View Post
Getting back to the topic of the REV, although it is not a "B", my wife and I saw it at a show in January, and it has some nice features. We have been dancing between B's and C's, and DW really doesn't like the wet baths in most all B's. Both the abovementioned RB and TL have a really nice rear bath with large shower. The drop down bed in the RB looks pretty functional, but I don't think we would fancy climbing up there on a daily basis. Aside from the crazy big outdoor t.v. screen, the TL is really not set up for sleeping (2 short Jacknife sofas). We wanted to see what the twin bed model (TB) was like, so during Spring break we took a trip down to Elkhart and visited the Dynamax factory. Although we just dropped in, they were really accomodating. Before we went there, we spent some time at Sportsmobile, so it was quite a contrast, from a totally custom 7 man shop to a production line in a factory with 100's. Dynamax seems to have a pretty good reputation, and the build quality looks solid. The paint scheme you see on the TL at the top of the thread is custom (it was just getting finished while we were there), but all the units will have the painted front bumper and stripe along the bottom and back. The company has really gone "all in" on the Rev. We were told that they had ordered 500 Promaster cut-aways, and there were at least 100 in the lot, and they were finishing 1 to 2 a day. The beds in the TB seemed pretty nice, with lots of cabinets. The lounge area in the front had a fairly mediocre couch. The kitchen is pretty spacious with a nice large refrigerator, 2 bowl sink, 3 burner stove. The systems are pretty "yesterday", propane, generator, single battery, no inverter. But there is a nice slide out battery tray on the outside that will hold at least one more battery, and an exterior plug for portable solar panels.

The Promaster diesel engine is an option, and one was on the line. The big issue with this product it's carrying capacity, and adding the heavier diesel engine does not seem wise. We are waiting for some solid feedback from real world owners.
Leen Mosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #31

Just bought the Rev with lift bed, and looking forward to getting to know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Not a Dynamax experience, but Winnebago is selling all the Trend/Viva Promasters they can make. Also the Travato has finally taken off with the upgrades of the 59G and addition of the 59K.

Friends of ours have just bought a Trend 23L. He's a life long car guy besides his RV hobby. His 4 corner weighing and other checks on the capacities of the cutaway Promaster have returned a chassis and tires well within the capabilities of the PM in class C form. Chrysler sometime early last year started using a different Continental Vanco that's a higher capacity and speed
They just recently drove from west Texas to eastern Missouri for a rally we attended. We rode around the Ozark hills and city of Osage Beach, MO with them, and the vehicle loaded with 5 people rode and drove just fine. No excess sway or bouncing was noticed by me.
Chrysler early last year sometime started using a heavier duty Continental Vanco that raised the weight capacity and speed rating from the original Vanco they installed. Plenty of capacity for the chassis
Leen Mosley is offline   Reply With Quote