Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 AM   #1

Default Want to buy a new Class B in NV, but I live in CA.

Hello Class B Forum,

My first time posting here. Been lurking a while, but I am in need of information.

I would like to buy a new Class B RV from a dealership in Nevada, but I live in California. The dealership has explained that they cannot process the registration fee, or accept CA sales tax or any other CA fees and of course remit them to the state of California. They told me I would need to register the RV and pay the fees in California. Has anyone ever done this before? Would California make me smog it, even though it's brand new? Can I do this at a AAA as I cross back into CA to get it over with? Or do I have to wait in line at our dreaded DMV? If anyone has ever done this before please tell me your experience! I am getting apprehensive about going through with this purchase. Am I over reacting?

The RV is California emissions compliant. I do not want to skip out on my obligation to pay any taxes or fees to my home state of California. The dealership in Nevada is very good with price and is treating me like a human being unlike my California dealers, which is what is attracting me to them.

Thanks for any help!
HeavyRailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Want to buy a new Class B in NV, but I live in CA.

Call AAA,They will explain it to you.If they can't then make an appointment at DMV. You will be surprised how quick they are if you have an appointment.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Want to buy a new Class B in NV, but I live in CA.

I was thinking the same as Stan - make some phone calls. First call for me would be to the DMV. My guess is that you'd need some sort of temporary permit/plate and insurance to drive the new RV to California.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote