Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
CSP

Default Wanting to Contact Pleasure Way Ascent Owners

Hi! I just purchased a 2017 Pleasure Way Ascent. I wanted to connect with other owners to get ideas for storing and to learn anything essential about my new vehicle. Please share with me any ideas you have or discoveries you've made about the Ascent.
I also wondered if anyone has used leveling blocks with an Ascent.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Bronze Member

We got ours in February and have gone camping a couple of times. We haven't dewinterized yet, we'll do that this weekend.

Ours is an earlier 2017 model without the swivel seats. We didn't think we needed the seat to swivel, and so far, we are fine with it. Because the seats don't swivel, we can attach a seat-back organizer where we keep our doggie supplies. We also placed a basket right behind the seat on the floor to store a few items. Useful, but we are looking for a set of drawers that might fit there.

Our manual is a little out of date and does not describe the charge disconnect or the 12V fuse/breaker system accurately, but we've figured it out.

We have used Lynx leveling blocks. We decided we need two of those bags. But that's a lot of precious space usage in an Ascent. We have it under the sofa for now, but I saw someone store them underneath the passenger side floor mat. Might try that this weekend and see.

There is a wimpy sewer hose in the short storage tube. I have not used that yet because we've been winterized. Not sure which of the nicer hoses fit in that tiny tube. We might have to store it under the sofa or install a larger tube. I asked about that in the gear section on this forum but didn't get much response.

We have been using an RV cover that has worked well in our freak March snow storm as well as cherry petal storms.

We don't use sheets. We have commandeered a duvet from the house as a sofa cover/bed cover, and use our backpacking sleeping bags that haven not seen much use in the last decade We think we may want to sew a pair of ottoman covers.

Can't really do a full report on the kitchen/bathroom yet, but will report back after we used them.

We have been using our Ascent for weekend lunch outing and day trips with our dog. We love the super-easy maneuverability. I won't be able to park a 24' Sprinter in our parking space without the tail being halfway out in the street.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
CSP

Manx.. Thanks so much for all your information!
I was looking at RV covers so I definitely appreciate the link.
Thanks for the ideas on bedding and storage.
We still have not used ours yet. We have a trip planned to a nearby lake next week.
We did buy replacement sewer hoses but they are still in the box so I'm can't recommend them.
Thanks for connecting with me!
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Hi, Everyone.

I just bought my 2017 Ascent in February. It also is on the older chassis so the front seats don't swivel but candidly, I also own a 2014 Roadtrek CS where the front seats do swivel and I never used the swivel.

I lined my kitchen drawers with Zip-n-fit which is much easier and faster to use than normal drawer liners which require a straight edge or exacto. I found the lining helps to keep things from sliding around and reduces some rattling.

Speaking of rattles, I tied all my flatware with those tiny rubber bands to eliminate silverware rattle and it helps a lot.

I bought lots of cozy fake fur blankets and a couple nice pillows for the back. They really help make the lounge area comfy.

I bought a wireless thermometer and placed it inside the lithium battery compartment so that I know when the temperature inside there is below freezing. When it is below freezing I disconnect the batteries using the red disconnect above. I only reconnect when the interior temperature inside that compartment reads above freezing. This is important for lithium batteries as charging below freezing will damage them.

I Rainexed the back windows because I found when driving on wet roads they cloud up pretty quickly. Since Rainexing them they have been really clear. I do the same for the side mirrors.

I purchased two entry way carpets: one for the entry and the other in front of the kitchen. I found they help a lot in keeping the RV clean. When they get dirty I just sweep them into the sliding door footwell and then sweep the footwell out. Super simple.

I disconnected the shower head in the bathroom as I never intend to take a shower in there and it frees up space and looks cleaner.

I've adopted a rule: travel with only the stuff you need on that trip. Most of my cabinets are empty. The only stuff I travel with are dishes (Correlle dishes since they are break-proof), flatware, one pot, one pan, a Nespresso coffee maker under the sink and a Boudin water boiler. One spatula, one knife, one ladle, a small cutting board. A few non-perishable snacks are always available. The rest of the cabinets are empty. I found in my Roadtrek that I was carrying around all this stuff and rarely used any of it. So now, I keep things like a grill, chairs, a foldable table at home and only load them up if I know we're going to need them.

I added thin little rubber pads under each of the arms that holds the two flip up counter extensions. This has reduced some rattles.

I store the microwave platter in a foam sleeze in the microwave and this has reduced that rattle as well.

All dishes have a foam lining pad between them and this has stopped them from rattling.

I do use the toilet when it has been well below zero. I just flush with anti-freeze. This has been a huge benefit for us, just having a toilet available during the winter.

I did have a problem updating the Becker map pilot module. I bricked it and Mercedes had to replace it so be careful about updating your Map pilot.

I had a bypass valve under the refrig crack and antifreeze spilled out into the back of the coach and pooled at the foot of the sofa. It was easy to clean up and Pleasure Way fixed it right away and apologized profusely. They are so great to deal with.

I've had cross-wind assist kick in twice on the highway and was sure glad I had it. The winds were so strong that they tipped a big rig over on a bridge in Ontario. When the cross-wind assist activates you'll hear and notice it and a message will display on the information cluster on the dash.

I let out around 5lbs of pressure from each tire (40psi front/ 60 rear) since I'm not carrying much and the ride improved a bit.

I carry a 7 piece screwdriver set and a head lamp in the glove box.

I use the soap sheets instead of a bar or liquid soap in the bathroom. So much smaller and more convenient https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Washin...SIN=B00JA8UNYQ

I have a bathroom kit for the whole family. Everyone has their own toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and floss. You never know when you might need it.

We use our Ascent as a weekender. We take it on long trips as it is so much more comfortable but we generally stay at hotels. We rarely use it for camping.

Agree with the wimpy sewer hose. Our dealer threw in a nice hefty 20 foot sewer hose when we purchased it.

Enjoy your Ascent. I can safely say it is one of the best purchases I've made and its build quality is on a different level than Roadtrek.
neilbalthaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
CSP

Neilbalthaser, thanks so much for all your information!!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbalthaser View Post
I bought a wireless thermometer and placed it inside the lithium battery compartment so that I know when the temperature inside there is below freezing. When it is below freezing I disconnect the batteries using the red disconnect above. I only reconnect when the interior temperature inside that compartment reads above freezing. This is important for lithium batteries as charging below freezing will damage them.
Doesn't your lithium battery(s) include a management module that does this for you?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Doesn't your lithium battery(s) include a management module that does this for you?
Not according to Pleasure Way. You need to manually disconnect when temperatures inside the battery compartment are below freezing. Apparently there is no sensor.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Pleasure Way recommends that
when the temperaure is below minus 15F
for extrended period or time
that you should remove the battery and bring it indoors.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbalthaser View Post
Not according to Pleasure Way. You need to manually disconnect when temperatures inside the battery compartment are below freezing. Apparently there is no sensor.
I guess what PW indicates is possible but it's hard to believe that they are marketing a system that requires you to physically disconnect your batteries below (32 F) freezing. The battery management system typically supplied with a lithium battery monitors ambient temperature and below 32 degrees, it permits continued battery discharge but prevents battery recharge from the alternator, solar panels or shorepower until the management module triggers the battery heater pads to bring battery temperature back up above 32 degrees. Actually the conventional threshold employed for triggering the heater pad(s) is probably closer to 40 F than 32F

In a properly designed lithium battery system, the only critical temperature that requires hands on engagement is if for any reason, the battery temperature falls below -15 F. Under these circumstances, just disconnecting the battery is not enough. You either have to move the batteries or the coach to a warmer environment.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Neilbalthaser Thanks for info and ideas. Never thought of Rainx on the rear windows...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 AM   #11

I actually called them on this and was told to manually disconnect the battery in below freezing weather (plus they say as much in their orientation videos). Don't disagree with you and was surprised about this. I posted the info so that others who don't know this wouldn't find out next winter that their expensive lithium iron phosphate batteries need replaced.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Update:

I found alternative storing spaces for the leveling blocks.

2 Stacks of 4 blocks go on the entrance step behind the side-door insect screen:

12 of them go under the passenger floor mat in stacks of two:

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Hmm, somehow the embedded images failed. Maybe I committed a forum faux pas?

Here are the links to the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzG...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzG...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #14

There's a small place to store maybe valuables under the passenger side ottoman. It's also carpeted in there!

There's also pockets to store stuff in the rear doors.

Some people don't realize that the center console on the upper dash is a huge, padded storage compartment. Large enough to store a tablet.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default RV Superbag

These are expensive but very nice. We use this in our new Agile. It is essentially a fully zippered sleeping bag with Velcro'd sheets attached. We leave it unzipped except for the very bottom and is darn near the same as our home bedding.

https://www.rvsuperbag.com/

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
These are expensive but very nice. We use this in our new Agile. It is essentially a fully zippered sleeping bag with Velcro'd sheets attached. We leave it unzipped except for the very bottom and is darn near the same as our home bedding.

https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
We use one of those in our Agile as well. Very comfortable and most importantly easy to setup and store.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #17

Default Future Ascent owner questions

We purchased a 2018 Ascent and would like to resolve a few issues before we take delivery. Our intended use is year round in eastern PA, the Ascent will be garage kept displacing our 2001 Airstream, which is staying in the family. The Ascent will allow my wife to use it whenever she feels the need. Following Neil’s Ultramobility videos we have solved some of the potential problems. Monitoring the lithium battery temp in the unheated garage while the winterized Ascent is on shore power is a start, but I proposed to put a thermostatically controlled (on 45F off 67F) Therma Heat RV holding tank pad under the two lithium batteries. I have been told this is unnecessary, but I feel the heating pad is required, so that all the wife has to do is unplug and go get the grandkids in NeeniesTS. With the addition of Pleasure-Ways AGS in 2018 the Ascent batteries should be safe from extreme cold overnight if not plugged in. In the 17 years with the Airstream we have only boondocked once in Lewes, DE for 3 days with two 6 volt batteries, 99% of our stays were with full hook up either in campgrounds or state parks. However we do choose to go off the beaten path if possible since the Airstream and Quadasteer hookup with a Hensley allows for twisty back roads, the Ascent will improve that exploration, which broaches another concern; B5 diesel fuel availability. As of now I am ignorant of how difficult it will be to locate either low sulfur diesel or at a minimum B5 fuel? I recognize the emmision controls that diesels are currently saddled with and the increased maintenance that this creates for cold weather stop and go driving; my intentions are to follow Tom Stephens preventive maintenance steps to prevent issues if we can’t find the
right diesel fuel. My Audi’s rarely if ever see the dealer, opting instead for their more knowledgeable German service center who will modify the Sprinter to better cope with the bad fuel and poorly designed emmision system.
NeeniesTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #18

Default Solar: to be or not to be

I ordered the 190 watt solar panel system on the 2018 Ascent and now I am second guessing myself. Why, the unit will be garage kept, we don’t boondocks (at least we haven’t yet except once in 17 years) we stay at full hookups, and we will be traveling almost every day. I am debating whether to cancel that option since our build hasn’t started yet.

The cons: possible additional maintenance, cleaning and another system to manage for almost no return. More roof drag impacting MPG? Initial cost with little return and upkeep cost potential.

The pros: could boondock but we would prefer tree covered for our Collie and ourselves, so 190 watts in the shade? Includes Go Power solar control to monitor lithium batteries, unsure at this time if there is any other way to manage the lithium batteries without that system. Would prefer the Silverlight system if I knew an upfitter to install it at a later date.

Any observations or suggestions?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

190w is not a big installation. I would just keep it.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #20

Default Sprinter cold weather use

Since we intend to use the Ascent in the cold months I intend to not only heat the batteries, but also heat the oil pan and engine coolant. I read a thread that heating the oil without heat the coolant triggered a warning light on the Mercedes dash. Has anyone else done this and been successful?