Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Water getting in around shower vent

Twice now I have found my shower full of water after sitting during rainstorms. I noticed the crossbar on the pop up vent had a water drop on it this time. It was pulled down tight. It's so low on the roof it must be splash off the roof. Curious if there is a way to seal it better? A gasket or something? Maybe take it apart and put a ring of weather stripping under the cap where it contacts the housing of the fan?
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #2

I find the same thing but only in the spring when I think snow melt water gets deep enough to flow over the vent lip ....only concern is if enough water entered then froze in the tank but always keep rv antifreeze in my tank and macerator
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Is this leak something new? Is there a change in where the van is parked so it has a different roof slope causing the rain to drain in a different direction?

I understand that there are some drain holes around the roof side of the vent. Maybe you should get a ladder out and check to see if they are clogged with leaves or dirt. Be careful leaning a ladder against the Sprinter without any padding. I did this once and bent the body work slightly.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
Is this leak something new? Is there a change in where the van is parked so it has a different roof slope causing the rain to drain in a different direction?

I understand that there are some drain holes around the roof side of the vent. Maybe you should get a ladder out and check to see if they are clogged with leaves or dirt. Be careful leaning a ladder against the Sprinter without any padding. I did this once and bent the body work slightly.
Happened twice now. Once during a hurricane, and once during an extended period of heavy rain. It's been parked in the same place all year. I didn't see any drain holes. Seems like a bad idea since the vent is only an inch or so above the roof .

I'll double check...
Old 12-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Camco 40595 Cyclone Plumbing Vent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VS48F..._NA7iCbVXB211Z
I haven’t ordered this, but might solve the problem?
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Platinum Member

There is an inner and outer ring under the vent cap. The outer ring that you see from the roof, should have a small vent hole on the downward side to drain water or condensation that gets in under the cap.

As you can see in the picture, mine was slightly covered in caulk, but only a small area so I've never bothered to clear it out. I have never had rain inside when the cap is closed, but I've never had the cap pen in the rain, and never during a hurricane.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7025.JPG (281.6 KB, 14 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
Camco 40595 Cyclone Plumbing Vent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VS48F..._NA7iCbVXB211Z
I haven’t ordered this, but might solve the problem?
I have that very vent, but that's not the vent I'm talking about. It's the fan vent.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
There is an inner and outer ring under the vent cap. The outer ring that you see from the roof, should have a small vent hole on the downward side to drain water or condensation that gets in under the cap.

As you can see in the picture, mine was slightly covered in caulk, but only a small area so I've never bothered to clear it out. I have never had rain inside when the cap is closed, but I've never had the cap pen in the rain, and never during a hurricane.

Thanks for the pic. I'll climb up and check it out. Had a little more water after the last big rain...
Old 12-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
Thanks for the pic. I'll climb up and check it out. Had a little more water after the last big rain...
Be careful; it's dangerous climbing around up there; but that is the best place to start. Check the condition of the cap, seal (mine looks like cork), the caulking around the inner and outer rings and make sure the little "weep-hole" is open.

From looking at mine, I don't see how water could get in unless the cap is cracked. Otherwise, when closed, the seal should be pretty good, and the "weep hole" in the outer ring should take care of any small amount of splash that does get in around the outer lid.

You're not the first with this problem, however. Let us know how it checks out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote