Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Water pump going out Bad noise

I went out to go winterize the camper today and was attempting to pump some pink through the system an dang if the water pump didn't start actin up screamin bangin makin a horrible racket.
Well I new it was coming I was just milkin it for all it was worth.
musta milked it to hard. Just to finish I had to shoot a little WD-40 into the motor. It helped got it spinning , But that's all she wrote I think.
So I jumped on E-Bay and found this little gem. $57.50 seems like a good price and it's not to far away It's in Indy thats about 3 hr south.

I sure hope this will work since I went an bought it.
This is my old pump

And as you can see it's had some problems in the past. The head cracked and blew off. Not to worry I fix it real good.. ok not so good but hey it worked.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Silver Member

I just hope this new one don't blow all the old pipes right off...
Can't these be turned down. Guess I'll see when I get it.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

wow, I think you got your moneys worth out of that old pump, good for you to keep fixing it, but it looks like its time for a new one,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Silver Member

Thank you... ya know it's not cause I'm cheap......
Hu?mm. Ok it is..lol

Oh wait... its cause I'm handy.....yep
Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't think its about being cheap, its more about why spend a lot of money when you really don't need to, if you can fix something instead of replacing it, then even better for you,,,,,,,Im the same way,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
I don't think its about being cheap, its more about why spend a lot of money when you really don't need to, if you can fix something instead of replacing it, then even better for you,,,,,,,Im the same way,,,,,
You don't mind me printing this and showing my family...LOL

Sometimes my fixes don't work so well. But I will tinker with it till it's totally broken or I fixed it and it works.

I ended up streaching this old pumps use for 2 more years before the motor went.
Funny but my FIX isn't what failed the motor did. So ya it's all good.

Question does anybody think this pump is overkill for my little van.
That 55 PSI. sounded high to me. But the old pump really didn't say what the Psi was.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:27 AM   #7
Silver Member

I've just recently tinkered with my RTs water pump, not because it was broken but because of the noise. It is a 45psi, 2.8 gal/min Shurflo - the original I think.

I got one of those silencer kit from Amazon that included 2 -18" flex hoses & male npts. Using a cell phone app measuring noise (not calibrated), this "fix" only brought down the noise by 5 dBa - surprisingly that's a lot more tolerable than before the fix. The noise actually went down another 3 just by simply opening the cabinet door - so it seems the cabinets were reverberating like a drum when closed. After stapling a 1" foam on the back of the door, it seemed to help the noise down. I'll try insulating the sides and top, and hope it helps too. Another thing I noticed, depending on whether loops are secured or loose or the pump secured to the walls seem to change the frequency lower - more tolerable to my ears. I know some in this forum recommend an accumulator tank - not going there since space is already too tight.

Best of luck on this project...
Old 11-08-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
Silver Member

Thanks Jim
pump is mounted to the carpeted floor on a board that's screwed to the floor.
and the whole thing is in the same box as the water tank. Which when camping has our bed on top of it.
It's always been a little noisy. But you should have heard it when the motor went out, The neighbors thought I was murdering cat's in my van. Lol

I'll just bet this new pump is whisper quiet compared to the old one.

And really it's not an issue with us as we don't have a shower. So the most it's ever run is for washing dishes. and a quick flush of the toilet, Altho that's in the middle of the night usually. And it's me making all the noise. And mostly I can't move without waking my wife, so I'm not waking her up She's already awake.
Anyway I hope it's gona be Ok.
If you can find and use some sound deadening foam and that would help you a bunch. The stuff that looks like egg crates if you can find it.
My new pump and filter has shipped so I'll let you know how it goes , and I'll get some pictures.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #9
Silver Member

Win some lose some .....
I think the New pump is defective ... It pumps but will not shut off. Just keeps pumping.
I know it's not a leak in my system cause I just pulled the old pump and it shut off just fine. So no leaks..
I know they can be adjusted somewhat but I don't think it's that.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
Silver Member

OK after much Tinkering and looking up instructions most were wrong by the way. I was rereading the original instructions and yep the pump was totally out of adjustment. I made a dramatic move and ran BOTH adjustment screws all the way out. then started turning them in and low and behold finally the pump stopped pumping. Then a slight adjustment and bingo I got it working.. I new I was onto something when the pump made a noise like it was loading up. before it just ran like and open line.
Now it comes on when you open a valve .
I was about to give up. Thought NO ONE more time...