Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default water pump on 2006 RoadTrek

Forgot how to post a question so hope this works?
I don't usually use my water pump as mostly connect to resort waterline.
I was away for a weekend and used water pump and when I left it on it cycles on and off. I have forgotten but is this a reminder the pump is turned on or is it losing pressure for some reason?
I checked all taps and connections that are visible and nothing is leaking.
It works fine. Most annoying so I turned switch off unless I needed it.
treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This happened to me also, it was losing pressure, it turned out to be the valve underneath needs to be turned off when not using hookup for water supply, check where you would hook up your water line, there should be a valve just turn it the opposite way, and hopefully this fixs your issue, hope it helps,,,take care,,,,Josef,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thank you I did check as you suggested and so far it is not cycling on and off. I will use the water pump next trip to make sure all is well.
treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We are still on the original pump in our 2007 RT and it works just as well as Day One. If you get the model number off the pump and look at that series on Amazon, you will find that pump is kind of a super dooper model.....and is priced accordingly. The point is, they put really good pumps in the RTs back then, just like they did on all the stuff in them as far as I can tell 13 years later.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

A lot of Class Bs of that age have ShurFlo pumps installed. Ours (a 2007) had been sloppily installed by Airstream (smack in the middle of an under-cabinet area that should have been used for storage), and it was as loud as heck, but we lived with it for 5 years - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, it eventually broke, doing the same behavior that the OP describes here. Sometimes that happens because water starts backflowing through the pump, causing it to actuate at random times. Very inconvenient to be woken up at night by it.

My husband first attempted to replace a pump seal, but that did not stop the behavior. We then decided to replace the entire pump, and obviously it was time to upgrade the plumbing in the process. Instead of placing it on the floor of the under-cabinet area, we hung it from the underside of the shelf above, which freed up the area for storage.

Bonus - the new pump, also a ShurFlo brand, is much quieter. I wish we had done this job sooner.

"Before and after" pics:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Nicely done, but makes me wonder why the good people who manufacture and engineer couldn't come up with your location.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Nicely done, but makes me wonder why the good people who manufacture and engineer couldn't come up with your location.
Some do, especially these days. Rarely will a manufacturer create that kind of a mess any longer because they know that pics of it will end up on forums and other social media destinations, where it will reflect badly upon them.

And they know this because all the manufacturers monitor the technical forums in particular. (Hi, guys! Glad you could join us!).
Old 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Original install= amazingly messy. Nice clean "remodel." Do you remember the model of the replacement pump or is that info on your blog.

thx.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Original install= amazingly messy. Nice clean "remodel." Do you remember the model of the replacement pump or is that info on your blog.

thx.
ShurFlo model 4008-101 dash something else I cannot read.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Some do, especially these days. Rarely will a manufacturer create that kind of a mess any longer because they know that pics of it will end up on forums and other social media destinations, where it will reflect badly upon them.

And they know this because all the manufacturers monitor the technical forums in particular. (Hi, guys! Glad you could join us!).
As far as I can see, at Airstream build time and showroom glitz are king. Not clear that they care much about anything else. I hope that has changed, but I have seen little evidence of it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As far as I can see, at Airstream build time and showroom glitz are king. Not clear that they care much about anything else. I hope that has changed, but I have seen little evidence of it.
They've come a long way in eliminating cabinetry voids, I am told. There may still be a mess BEHIND those cabinets, but the builds themselves are much more efficient now in that one respect.

One Air Forums member hatched this thread to describe all of the ways that he's improving his house utilities, bringing them up so that he converges on what he perceives to be the Mercedes Benz standard on the vehicle side. I'm not sure how far he got with the effort - his is an NCV3, so I don't keep up with it.