Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #41
Platinum Member

How do you define works great? I've had two Weboost antenna boosters and I've failed to see any significant or at all differences worth the investment. How do you know for that matter if it helps? I resorted to an easy on/off switch on the dash just to try to verify any differences. What have they done new that's different than three years ago?

I'd like to know. I'm resigned to hoping that with this virus crisis the government and companies will have to understand more universal coverage is extremely important with communications and the infrastructure and coverage will be improved. It has all along observing in some of my repeat favorite places but still not good enough. I also don't understand the philosophy of keeping cell service out of parks especially in RV campgrounds. If you truly want to get away from civilization make a personal choice and leave your damn phone at home or turn it off. I just think it is essential for RVing.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #42
Platinum Member

My Weboost unit works pretty well as long as it is optimally installed and if there is at least some signal to amplify. In fact, I am in northern WI right now and I have 0-1 bars on my phone without the device and no cell service. When I flip the switch, it goes to 2-3 bars and I have pretty good internet access.

You can also accurately measure the decibel signal strength instantly if you put your phone in Field Test Mode. My decibels improve right now by about 40 db with the unit on. I have also used the Open Signal app on my phone to measure upload and download speeds with and without it on and it clearly works. I did used these 2 tools when I installed the device in my van to make sure the outside and inside antennas were in the optimal locations for best amplification.

https://www.weboost.com/blog/how-to-...-on-your-phone

The one problem I have with it is that it runs hot and has a fairly high amperage draw so I use it a little sparingly if I am trying to conserve my batteries. Of course, they are also not cheap and may very well not be worth the cost for many people.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote