Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I was looking at the spec pages for the Galleria after some comments on the Galleria discussion and this is how they list the Unloaded Vehicle Weight and Cargo Carrying Capacity.

Quote:
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* – is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s), including full fuel, all fluids and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.
CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) ** – is the amount of weight available for fresh potable water, cargo, passengers, additional optional equipment and accessories. CCC is equal to GVWR minus UVW. Available CCC should accommodate fresh potable water (8.3 lbs per gallon). Before filling the fresh water tank, empty the black and gray tanks to provide for more cargo capacity.
**Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.
It appears they are doing it like Roadtrek, but maybe even more confusing as it looks like they include "standard build optional equipment" in the dry weight, but then you need to add other options in yourself.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I was looking at the spec pages for the Galleria after some comments on the Galleria discussion and this is how they list the Unloaded Vehicle Weight and Cargo Carrying Capacity.

It appears they are doing it like Roadtrek, but maybe even more confusing as it looks like they include "standard build optional equipment" in the dry weight, but then you need to add other options in yourself.
What the heck is "standard optional equipment"?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
What the heck is "standard optional equipment"?
Like I said, they seem to have been able to go beyond even Roadtrek's very confusing statements, which is not easy

One would have to guess, I think, that they have group of options that they put on "most" of the vans they make so they include them in the dry vehicle weight, but who knows. If you didn't get one of those options, you would be able to subtract for that option while you add on the ones you did get that weren't part of the "standard optional equipment".

Pity the dealer trying to explain that to starry eyed first time RV buyers
Old 10-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I seems the only really reliable way to assess the actual cargo capacity is to have a model identical to what you want with the options you want actually weighed at the factory or at a dealer or by a customer with the same van. If you had one with options close to what you want, I guess you could adjust it and get close...
Old 10-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #25
Platinum Member

It would just seem so logical to just have the unloaded vehicle weight for each floorplan (weighed by factory) be without anything included that could be added, and then just make sure all additions are listed on the window sticker. Include a list of weights for additions and you would be done and probably quite accurate.

It just seems they are all just making this way to difficult, but of course that could be intentional so buyers can't accurately compare actual cargo capacity (like for the Roadtrek 210).
Old 10-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I think it is just what you say, they don't want the fact that some models have very low cargo capability highlighted. I have noticed that the better Class A manufacturers do weighing on each motorhome at the end of the line and post the weight in the motorhome.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:03 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Weight information labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I think it is just what you say, they don't want the fact that some models have very low cargo capability highlighted. I have noticed that the better Class A manufacturers do weighing on each motorhome at the end of the line and post the weight in the motorhome.
Getting it weighed might not be enough.

A close friend had a Tiffin Alegro RED that was delivered to him with the wrong rear axle and thus overloaded when loaded normally. My friend is a heavy truck engineer and discovered the error after getting the rig weighed and checking the specs of the axles. He informed Tiffin and they installed a stronger rear axle.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #28
Platinum Member

The question of weight and capacity of a Roadtrek 210 has come up on another discussion, and I looked back here to see if it applies and noticed I hadn't ever posted the scan of an older Chevy 210 weight label that I have. So here it is. 410# of cargo capacity listed on that one. And that is with only 308# allowed for two people.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek load lable.jpg (98.2 KB, 75 views)