Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Obviously there is a widely divergent audience here. That is a good thing.

There are many RV'ers (especially younger people) that get off the main highways and travel where there is no roadside assistance and no help. For us, it is unacceptable to travel without basic survival tools like a simple spare tire. Most of the people I travel with would not even consider an RV without a spare tire at least as an option.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Here's my experience. As they say, your mileage may vary. I've camped probably hundreds of times, usually out in the middle of nowhere. Boondocking, at least where I've been, has always meant that there are unpaved, rocky, hilly, pot-holed and sometimes muddy roads and campsites. I've never gotten a flat tire there, but they were not the kinds of places where you could safely jack up a vehicle by yourself. The jack just wouldn't be steady. For me, it's been a pragmatic decision to get over my male ego and just call for help, wherever I am.

For example, even in the middle of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, I got roadside assistance. It wasn't simple, but it did happen. Like an idiot, I went camping with a cheap battery under the hood. When it died, it wouldn't even take a jump start. At the first campsite, I had no cell service, so I walked a mile down the road to a place with reception. I had to wait there to flag down the service truck at the road junction. The second time, it took walking to the road and flagging down a ranger, who contacted another ranger who was somewhere with cell service, and then that ranger called for a service truck. The service truck found my second, less isolated campsite. Both times, the service truck got me going again.

On the lighter side, I once locked my keys in my car at a nudist campground (I had no pockets!). I walked to the campground office and I called AAA. Yes, they showed up and unlocked my car.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote