Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default West Marine SeaVolt Dual-Purpose AGM Battery

Was at my local West Marine store, they have on sale the West Marine SEAVOLT Dual-Purpose AGM Battery, Group 24, 79 Ah, 735 MCA, Model 1231398, regular price $179.99 on sale for $149.99.

Wonder if anyone has ever used this battery and their opinion on this battery, is it a good house battery, any likes or dislikes, any opinion's between AGM and Gel battery.

I need to replace my house battery for my 2002 Dodge RoadTrek, thinking of installing 2 house batteries, was to do last year, have to do now.

Also, any recommendations for a chassis battery, my original 7 1/2 year old battery has to be replaced, I have a 2002-Dodge-2002-RoadTrek-190 POP

Ron,
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: West Marine SeaVolt Dual-Purpose AGM Battery

For what it is worth, I am partial to Walmart for vehicle batteries. Mostly because it puts every Walmart store available forr exchange or other warranty need down the line. I use Walmart's deep cycle Group 27 as a house battery. For your use, you likely would need two of them, rated at 100 amp hour. Two in paralell.

The only real feature of the AGMs that I can see is their lack of outgassing in charge. Cost difference isn't worth it to me. I just made sure the house battery is well vented.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: West Marine SeaVolt Dual-Purpose AGM Battery

I just had two (2) Sears DieHard Marine Deep Cycle/RV Batteries, Group Size 24M, Model 27494 batteries installed at my local Sears, cost $69.99 each, specs are as follows: CCA: 500 - AH: 80 - RC: 135.

We don't do any dry camping, do use the refrigerator when traveling as I don't care to use propane when driving.

For what I use it for these batteries are good enough for me, the battery storage box which is underneath the floor holds only 2 of the group 24 batteries. The storage box is well vented.

I am satisfied.

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote