Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What are you doing?

What are you doing?

Where are you?

Let us know

:P
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: What are you doing?

I'll start (my own question)

You know when retired people say they are so busy....?

That's us. It's Wednesday, right?
This week:
Cleaned the house.
Went to Shediac, looking at houses for sale........
We bottled beer - 3 batches so about 195 bottles - enough 'til next year. Canadian Light, Real Ale, and Canadian Pilsner.
Made a new mailbox stand. New post 4 feet into the ground and a "clever" swivel mount to thwart the passing of the winter snowplow..............
Quote:
Oh you gotta see it, it’s genius!
New van stove cover/tray http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=2218
New gutters on house....
Watering the fruit trees....

The camper van is just sitting there
Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Well, I'm sitting at work, monitoring the guys who work under me and waiting for the night to end. If we're lucky, our shift ends at 1:00am but we usually don't get out until 2 or 3am. At least the weather is really nice, clear and cool. We're working outside so it makes things a little nicer than a couple days ago when it was in the 30'sC.

We're currently looking at getting a boat we've been looking at. It's a 21ft Cuddy day cruiser boat. Just waiting for the current owner to get some things fixed on it so I can take it for a test drive. If I get the boat, I hope to travel the Trent Severn Waterway from one end to the other. It's 385km one way with 45 locks to go through and takes us from basically Lake Ontario up to Georgian Bay. There is a small catch to the trip though. I've applied for a new job and if I get it, I won't be able to take the trip for a couple years.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Could you retire out East? We did. Well -semi-retired (from the west coast). Years earlier than I ever thought possible. You can get a great house in NB for $160,000.

You have to be able to handle the brutal, excruciatingly cold winters though..............

March heat wave..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shediac in March.JPG (133.7 KB, 661 views)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Gold Member

Let's see today planted 3 pots with flowers, vacuummed, did 3 loads of laundry, stopped at the cemetery to make sure flowers where watered, stopped at Walgreens to pick up prescription, went out for supper with some other retired ex coworkers. Now home surfing the net. Live retired is good.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Slowly getting the B ready for our long trip to Alaska and wondering what we will forget to bring along this time. On our last trip I forgot to bring my dop kit. Now I have a duplicate.

Topped off all the fluids including the battery, oil, windshield washer, radiator and DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid).
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Could you retire out East? We did. Well -semi-retired (from the west coast). Years earlier than I ever thought possible. You can get a great house in NB for $160,000.

You have to be able to handle the brutal, excruciatingly cold winters though..............

March heat wave..........
Lived in Nova Scotia for 10 years and my arthritis didn't like the weather. As far as cold goes, I lived in Winnipeg for 10 years.

We're happy where we are now. Have a full acre of lot and a 4 bedroom house and the mortgage is almost paid off. We have a place at the end of the road the kids can go fishing, lake Ontario is a hop-skip and a jump away and all the neighbors are great.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Sitting here reading posts with my tongue hanging out in pure envy. Just retired in Jan 12 and have our new van on order, should be in production now and then shipped off to Sportsmobile in IN. Should be ready sometime in Sept. Can't wait to get on the road and maybe even do a little fishing in between camp stops. There's a whole lot out there waiting for us, and we're ready to see it.

later
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Bronze Member

This morning I had a home visit from a nurse interviewing me for a long-term care policy I'm considering buying. My blood pressure, which is always spot on, was extremely high, like 164/110, even though she took it several times. A couple of hours after she was gone it was down to 114/74. I had not realized how much white coat anxiety, which I was not even aware of having, could influence blood pressure.

We go grocery shopping an hour away once per week and usually take an ice chest to keep frozen food cold on the trip back. Last week it occurred to us to take the B instead of the car, giving us much more room for frozen and refrigerated stuff. Only downside: we have to remember to turn the fridge on several hours before we start out trip.
VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Sitting here waiting for our Rockford RT dealer to call and tell us that he has sent the replacement glass for one of our 3 skylights that was shot out with a BB gun (or rock?) It had to be sent from Canada!
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Packing.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Packing.
What R U packing & where Are You Going?

We hope to go to Utah next weekend - should start packing soon...
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Packing to move house farther west, end of July.
Not as far as I might have originally planned, just to the southwestern edge of the province.
On the shores of Lake Huron. Blue Water country.

Not sure yet, but I expect this year will be largely spent at home. Maybe the odd overnight
or weekender foray across the border into Michigan to shop. Still have to decide whether a
trailer or a small C is the answer to our travel situation, or whether we can travel with 2 cats
in the Roadtrek.

Have fun in Utah. Bryce? Zion? Capitol Reef? Farther north?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Wow, I sure killed this thread in a hurry, didn't I? Sorry folks.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
Gold Member

Continuing the thread...
Hoping to head out Wed. for somewhere....hoping by then our storms predicted will be over.
Had 5 inches of rain yesterday, plus lots of thunder and lightning.
Love trips with no destination, just get in and flip a coin which way to head.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Took advantage of the great weather today and went bicycling.

This evening I'll try to fix a small hole in my Fantastic Fan screen. I used the camper van to bring home some fruit trees and a branch poked through my fan screen....... I did fit 6 fruit trees in there, 2 peach, 2 pear and two apple. Lucky I didn't cause more damage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (164.7 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 019.JPG (167.5 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 027.JPG (161.4 KB, 306 views)
Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

This is off topic for the forum but I'm in the process of buying a boat (21ft Cuddy Day Cruiser Boat). Once I get it, drive it a bit, a friend and I are planning on taking the Trent Severn Waterway from one end to the other through Ontario. The waterway is 385km long and takes a good week to travel. There's 45 locks to go through which should be interesting. Considering most of the Trent Severn is over 100 years old, it should be a great adventure.

I'm just waiting for the seller of the boat to bring it by here so I can buy it off of him. I think he's having second thoughts about selling but we're hoping he'll honor the deal we made. My kids are looking forward to it too so we can go out into Lake Ontario so they can go swimming, tubing and maybe water skiing. Have to see how bad this will be on fuel before we start doing too much. It has a 4.3L V-6 engine over 200hp.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Wow, I sure killed this thread in a hurry, didn't I? Sorry folks.
I've been AFKB (again). Still trying to sort out our summer travel plans - it is summer in Arizona!! Mid to high 90s In Prescott area. And well over 100 in Phoenix - we just got back - 90+ feels pretty good... It is a DRY heat - near Zero Humidity!
Not sure about going to m.c. races in Utah this weekend (Hot & Dusty in St. George area). Might just go to Williams & Grand Canyon N.P instead - way cooler there. Also been setting-up the R/T to tow our Jeep Wrangler behind when we camp near Williams. I NEED to explore sections of the Great Western Trail in No. Ariz & into So. Utah! "Obsessions Die Hard!" That's what I been doin'...
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #19
Platinum Member

i tore apart a home gym today in 90F heat with a humidex over 100F.
the gym was inside, so that was almost bearable in the AC, but loading it into the truck bed was nasty.
markopolo: i think i would have preferred your day to mine.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
This is off topic for the forum but I'm in the process of buying a boat (21ft Cuddy Day Cruiser Boat). Once I get it, drive it a bit, a friend and I are planning on taking the Trent Severn Waterway from one end to the other through Ontario. The waterway is 385km long and takes a good week to travel. There's 45 locks to go through which should be interesting. Considering most of the Trent Severn is over 100 years old, it should be a great adventure.

I'm just waiting for the seller of the boat to bring it by here so I can buy it off of him. I think he's having second thoughts about selling but we're hoping he'll honor the deal we made. My kids are looking forward to it too so we can go out into Lake Ontario so they can go swimming, tubing and maybe water skiing. Have to see how bad this will be on fuel before we start doing too much. It has a 4.3L V-6 engine over 200hp.
my BIL had a mid-80s Wellcraft back in the early 90s, with twin Mercruisers. They were either 350s or
450s, I can't recall. He used to say he got 2 gallons to the mile. Your purchase probably has the Volvo 6?
Might not be too bad on gas. Check out prop options for fuel savings. Also, if it has power planing, that
can help, when used as directed.
The TS waterway is nice, as I recall.
We used to do a fishing weekend around Bobcaygeon when we were teens, and it was on it, I believe? Peterborough too, I think? Now those are lift locks!!