Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default What Choices Are There For No-Propane Class B's?

Greetings to all -- early post from a newbie.

My wife and I are considering a Class B on the Sprinter platform. We've been to Hershey and also toured Willoughby, OH's ARV facility.

We think we want a unit on the Sprinter platform that has no propane, Lithium-ion and solar. We would also like space in the rear for 2 bicycles.

Are Advanced RV and Roadtrek our only choices or do other manufacturers meet these specs? I love ARV's philosophy and quality but doubt we can afford their products.

I believe that Pleasure-Way has L-I, but keeps propane instead of going all-diesel electric.

Have I missed other manufacturers? Thanks so much in advance for your help.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi,

any reason for no-propane?

just wondering.

we use propane for our stove, hot water heater- sometimes furnace. It works well and is inexpensive.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Gold Member

Mike,

We think we'd like to keep it simple. We just don't see why we need two fuels (diesel and propane) when one should do. Also we think the no-propane option increases boondocking ability.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Mike,

We think we'd like to keep it simple. We just don't see why we need two fuels (diesel and propane) when one should do. Also we think the no-propane option increases boondocking ability.

How big is your diesel tank?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think having propane increases boondocking ability but boondocking means different things to different folks. A rig that is mostly on the move (touring) should do fine without propane if designed right. If you mostly camp & might want to stay in one place for a week (off grid) then propane is very useful. Otherwise the house battery capacity of the rig needs to substantially increase when fewer or no items run on propane. Solar is awesome but sometimes a campsite in the shade is preferable.

It's hard to beat propane as a heat source for:
1. Absorption fridge
2. Heat
3. Hot water
4. Cooking
5. It can also be used to run a generator.

Diesel can be used for:
1. Heat
2. Hot water
3. Generator (traditional or alternator)

The same might be said for gasoline.

I'm not aware of an B van set up to use diesel or gasoline directly as a direct heat source for cooking.

Typically, water tank & waste tank sizes are the primary limiting factors on how long you can stay in a place without moving a Class B unit.

To answer your question - another unit would be the Regency Concept One - New 2017 Regency Concept One - would be all electric. It has a diesel generator.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mike,

We are going for no propane as well, but I have found that its actually more complicated and may limit your options because not everyone builds without propane (e.g. PW is old school but RT can do either setup). However, if you are looking at ARV they can build what you want.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We would be fine with gas/diesel heat and hot water, and we don't use the cooktop at all, so those would all be fine without propane.

Our problem would be with losing the big tank for the propane grill, which we use almost every day at least once. We just can't imagine "camping" and cooking either indoors, or outdoors on a cord, with an induction cooktop. The little bottles are such an environmental downside and a PITA to carry all the time.

Our current setup uses propane for heat and hot water, plus the grill. The Frig is electric only.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Cooking in as a confined space as small as a class B has its challenges but can be engineered out. A induction cooktop with a small pressure cooker works great. The moisture is confined, minimal power usage and no carbon dioxide and water vapor you would get from using propane. We also have an electric instant hot water heater we use to make pasta in a sealed container. Pre heating using the microwave also shortens time in the pan.
After owning a quality 12v compressor fridge, there is no comparison with a propane fridge, the compressor fridge works flawlessly, without leveling, faster cooling with minimal power consumption. Just turn it on,no worries about relighting or switching. Our little propane outdoor grill works fine with the small propane containers and packs away nicely though we don't use it as much.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
We think we want a unit on the Sprinter platform that has no propane, Lithium-ion and solar. We would also like space in the rear for 2 bicycles.

Are Advanced RV and Roadtrek our only choices or do other manufacturers meet these specs?
For custom Class B's Sportsmobile also builds no-propane Sprinters with diesel appliances and Lithium battery packs. Diesel cooktops are available but have drawbacks - slow cooking response and extra heat output inside the coach. Induction cooktops are more popular for non-propane upfits now that high capacity battery packs and secondary engine generators are available.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

We could easily get by without the cooktop of any kind in the van, as we never really use it, and we have Fold-n-Go two burner propane cookstove. With a wye hose we had made, we can run the stove and grill at the same time if we want.

We also use the microwave quite a bit, both on shore power and batteries.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
For custom Class B's Sportsmobile also builds no-propane Sprinters with diesel appliances and Lithium battery packs. Diesel cooktops are available but have drawbacks - slow cooking response and extra heat output inside the coach. Induction cooktops are more popular for non-propane upfits now that high capacity battery packs and secondary engine generators are available.
The Fit RV couple recently did a YouTube test of induction versus propane cooktop. The induction cooktop boiled water WAY faster and without the heat buildup of the propane cooktop.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I can attest to that test, I'm impressed with the speed of our cooking, also with the performance of the new inverter microwaves out on the market now.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We are without propane with our Advanced RV. We use our portable induction cooktop mostly outdoors and find an electric cord is a lot easier than hooking up a propane hose. Inside, stored away we have clean countertops. The counter ends up a catch all for everything and that is more important to us than having something permanent in the way for about a half hour use.

To go propane free you have to utilize your diesel fuel for heat and hot water. I don't see many, if any, gasoline equivalents on the market. You would also need a compressor refrigerator which I think is a big plus over absorption refrigerators. The induction cooking frees one up from the last propane need. There are diesel cooktops but I have not seen them marketed for Bs.

Most Class Bs converters with diesel power still offered Onan propane generators rather than diesel. For a time the available diesel generators just didn't fit well if at all. They had made a change that caused the fit conflict. I guess they can now especially with 4 x 4s. Quite frankly the second under hood alternator is a much better solution. I would not be surprised to see the idea of an Onan second combustible engine generator losing favor.

The real key to all this are the lithium ion batteries since they can take faster charging from those second alternators. Thus, you can have much larger amp hour battery banks that charge up much faster with no float time. With a high watt inverter you can then run all your appliances (induction cooktop, microwave, coffee maker, air conditioning, etc.) 24/7 with need for shore power. All your 110 outlets work 24/7. So you have complete transparency in how you camp whether it be a Walmart parking lot or a campground with shore power. Until you have had that experience you may not appreciate what that no compromise freedom it gives you.

Eliminate an Onan generator and a propane tank full of propane you also eliminate a lot of weight. Weight conservation is precious.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I can attest to that test, I'm impressed with the speed of our cooking, also with the performance of the new inverter microwaves out on the market now.
I agree, induction cooking is faster, cleaner and simpler than using propane. It is even more precise in setting cooking temperature. It does require an adequate size inverter and battery power when off grid. On shore power it is a no brainer.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Diesel cooktops are used but they have a slow heat up and cool down and add a lot of heat into the van. But I have seen videos of people cooking directly on the surface of the Webasto cooktop which I guess could reduce the amount of pans to clean. Due to the heat released they can be a good source of backup heating if the diesel furnace fails.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

I can see many technology change-of-guard happening.

If propane is falling out of favor,
and if you don't want to go with induction,
there is butane cooker to consider.
The cartridges are inexpensive.
But the empty cartridges can be environmental disasters.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
Gold Member

We just visited the Hershey show yesterday. The bad news is that my wife and I just find the Roadtrek layout (with the sink/cooking area on the driver's side) unacceptable for a couple of reasons (inside felt too claustrophobic; the person doing the cooking is not facing the camping area if at a campground; etc.). Also, we've pretty much resigned ourselves to not being able to afford an Advanced RV -- even the used ones are around 200K.

We looked at, and really liked, the Pleasure-Way Plateau FL, and we also surprisingly liked the Roadtrek Zion and even the Hymer Aktiv. All have Lithium Ion batteries and the right (for us) cabin configuration, but none are propane free like the ARV and E-trek.

If you all have further thoughts I would love to hear them!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
We looked at, and really liked, the Pleasure-Way Plateau FL, and we also surprisingly liked the Roadtrek Zion and even the Hymer Aktiv. All have Lithium Ion batteries and the right (for us) cabin configuration, but none are propane free like the ARV and E-trek.

Talk to RT (Zion or Aktiv) about no propane tank/stove and use a portable induction burner (if you have the adequate batteries, etc. ) Doesn't cost anything to ask. They just might customize it for you (for a price)
Old 09-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think I read somewhere that Pleasure Way is going to do an all electric version using an under hood generator, diesel heat, large inverter and Li batteries. Can't seem to find the source (or maybe I just dreamt that)...
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #20
Platinum Member

The issue on the gasoline Promasters is going to be getting heat and hot water without propane...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote