Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default cwbrown

Yeah, I grew up in Wisconsin so I know what you mean. A lot's in the soil. In northern AZ it IS tall pines, meadows, alpine areas. There's a lot of sking in the White Mountains in the winter. Doesn't look that different from Iron Mt. in Michigan. Last 4 days up there have been heavy rains. We're in the monsoon season. Month from now we head up to Glacier. About as far north as you can get in the western USA. Never been there. Another adventure. Cheers.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #22
Rok
Platinum Member

Well, yesterday I just finished my most ambitious trip in our 2013 Great West Legend SE. 2200 miles from Seattle to Indianapolis....and then another 2200 miles back. I did this one solo--my first solo trip. My wife did fly out half way through the trip and met me in Indianapolis for a conference.

The heat was awful, a number of things on the van broke down, and I spent most of the nights in hotels or motels for one reason or another--not being able to find campgrounds was one. We normally travel during the off season, and can usually find places to stay.

I'll post this on a separate thread with individual questions for the experts. I have a lot of rebuilding of the van to do. But the heat causes a lot of problems and can totally eliminate the pleasure of travel, and in the case of my trip, it almost turned traveling into a nightmare scenario.

I am a little shell shocked from the experience--to the point of re-evaluating RV camping. I'm not going to give it up, but I'm certainly re-evaluating the purpose of having the Class B.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok View Post
Well, yesterday I just finished my most ambitious trip in our 2013 Great West Legend SE. 2200 miles from Seattle to Indianapolis....and then another 2200 miles back. I did this one solo--my first solo trip. ...

The heat was awful, a number of things on the van broke down, and I spent most of the nights in hotels or motels for one reason or another...

... the heat causes a lot of problems and can totally eliminate the pleasure of travel, and in the case of my trip, it almost turned traveling into a nightmare scenario.

I am a little shell shocked from the experience--to the point of re-evaluating RV camping. I'm not going to give it up, but I'm certainly re-evaluating the purpose of having the Class B.
Dude, I drive each summer from incinerator hell itself, aka Houston Texas, to far northeastern Nova Scotia.

The trip, with the distance being almost 3,000 miles and the nightmarish congestion in the New York - Boston corridor, takes me five days to do safely as a solo driver.

Depending on the prevailing frontal boundaries, 95 degree temperatures can follow me as far north as Portland Maine.

OH HELL YES, this annual trip of mine - and yours which you described here - can become life-changing nightmares if not managed properly.

But it can also be very do-able without high stress if done properly. I've got an older Sprinter than yours, without some of the NCV3 creature comforts, and this is still possible.

So by all means, if you'd like to talk specifics on that kind of venture - questions, points of debate - fire away. I'm not the only one here who can speak directly from experience on those challenges.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Oh no, l see that there is another reason we need to stay away from camping when it is so hot:

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...vard-study.htm
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Yepper- RVers are killing the fun in the summer by overcrowding the campgrounds. I long for the good ol days before affluence and everyone having an RV. Back before YouTube and forums like this giving away all the best locations to camp and take pictures!
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:13 AM   #26
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Dude, I drive each summer from incinerator hell itself, aka Houston Texas, to far northeastern Nova Scotia.

The trip, with the distance being almost 3,000 miles and the nightmarish congestion in the New York - Boston corridor, takes me five days to do safely as a solo driver.

Depending on the prevailing frontal boundaries, 95 degree temperatures can follow me as far north as Portland Maine.

OH HELL YES, this annual trip of mine - and yours which you described here - can become life-changing nightmares if not managed properly.

But it can also be very do-able without high stress if done properly. I've got an older Sprinter than yours, without some of the NCV3 creature comforts, and this is still possible.

So by all means, if you'd like to talk specifics on that kind of venture - questions, points of debate - fire away. I'm not the only one here who can speak directly from experience on those challenges.
Interblog: I don't know if there is a debate to be had here. 600 miles a day is still a good clip. It seems to me a lot of the stuff is a matter of personal taste. The last two years we made trips in 2016 to San Diego from Seattle over the July 4th weekend, and again in 2017 from Seattle to Downtown Los Angeles over the Labor Day weekend. So, we have done the summer thing before. But I was not solo, and we had reservations in advance. This trip there was thing after thing that went wrong and being solo I had to handle all of it--plus the stress of the heat, etc., etc. So maybe I'm whining a bit, but I really don't like crowds.

One year we went to Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies, and the number of people there was amazing--tons and tons of people. Ditto for a trip to the Grand Canyon and also for another trip to Zion. Even Death Valley has a gazillion people--it was more like a mall than a wilderness area.

We prefer off season stuff where we can decide at the last minute where we are going. Again, I think it is a matter of taste. We're not crowd type people.

Maybe you like crowds and heat, but we don't. So the stress for me is pre-built into that situation.
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote