Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The problem I've had with them is that their information baud rate is way too low, and they tend to promote both gender and socioeconomic class stereotypes during the course of being paid endorsers. They both love to hear themselves talk, and the more they can stretch and hype thin content until it screams, the better. And it isn't even their content - it's just recycled general knowledge.

There is, of course, no law that says that every paid endorser ought to approach the gig with a new paradigm in mind - the Wendlands been very successful doing what they do, exactly how they do it. But it does rub me the wrong way that they are more hat than cattle without having the grace to admit it up front.
Yes, you've picked up on the Mike's "journalism" background. Mike spent his career doing the puff peices on local news broadcasts. You know the stuff - car dealership openings, ribbon cutting ceremonies, the christmas parades downtown. You know the stuff. Always positive, never critical. He's taken that to youtube and facebook. More of the same shtick.

My problem with it, besides the info being so dumbed down it's useless to all but the most naive noobs, is the glossing over of real problems because he was getting a check. Did he ever criticize Roadtrek for all the Ecotrek & Voltrek systems that were basically inoperative? Did he ever disclose all the problems Roadtrek was having because they lied about thier tank sizes that were actually installed (much smaller than advertised)? Any product he "reviews" is the greatest thing ever, even though it has obvious limited usefulness or is downright shoddy. I've never seen him vet ANY product - he'll shill for anything that will cut him a check.

Granted, lots of personalities on youtube and facebook have commercial supporters. But most approach it with alot more honesty. Many reviews are unpaid and done as an honest service to their followers. Disclosure comes with it and is made. Pointing out the faults or shortcomings of a product and how it compares to competing products is all part of an honest review - paid or not.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #52
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I'm not understanding this discussion at all. These people are, and long have been, PAID SPOKESPERSONS for a particular brand. This has always been perfectly obvious to me. They are not neutral journalists and I don't see where they have ever pretended to be. Expecting "credibility" from them is kind of like expecting neutral advice about chicken from Colonel Sanders.

No?
"This has always been perfectly obvious to me." avanti, you failed to ask yourself a question. The question was, I wonder how many folks will buy into this Wendland 'stuff'? If you had, I'll bet you would have estimated well.

Maybe all this is pretty simple, 'Buyer Beware'. Some folks will buy into, well you name it. Heck, I sure would like to cite some stuff folks have bought in to in just this century, but the best stuff will result in you throwing me off the forum.

Bud

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
... Many reviews are unpaid and done as an honest service to their followers. ....
^^ Nicely written, your whole post.

Comment on this part - it frustrates me that peoples' default assumption is that any given poster is shilling similarly - that's part of the impression that people like the Wendlands have left in other peoples' minds.

I intentionally run a non-monetized blog - any Google Ad Sense ROI cannot possibly offset the reputational damage to me that would be associated with monetization. But there are two downsides to my approach:

(1) People simply don't believe me when I'm talking about lithium systems or Lagun tables or Vitrifrigo fridges or whatever, even when I explicitly use the term "non-monetized commentary".

(2) Google strongly drives legitimate web traffic away from my site because they aren't making any money off me - not one dime; in fact, I'm costing them money because they're hosting me via their dinosaur freeware.

So here I am trying to present unbiased commentary (for what little it's worth), and not only is that not celebrated, it's heavily penalized. But hey - nobody said it was a perfect world.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, you've picked up on the Mike's "journalism" background. Mike spent his career doing the puff peices on local news broadcasts. You know the stuff - car dealership openings, ribbon cutting ceremonies, the christmas parades downtown. You know the stuff. Always positive, never critical. He's taken that to youtube and facebook. More of the same shtick.

My problem with it, besides the info being so dumbed down it's useless to all but the most naive noobs, is the glossing over of real problems because he was getting a check. Did he ever criticize Roadtrek for all the Ecotrek & Voltrek systems that were basically inoperative? Did he ever disclose all the problems Roadtrek was having because they lied about thier tank sizes that were actually installed (much smaller than advertised)? Any product he "reviews" is the greatest thing ever, even though it has obvious limited usefulness or is downright shoddy. I've never seen him vet ANY product - he'll shill for anything that will cut him a check.

Granted, lots of personalities on youtube and facebook have commercial supporters. But most approach it with alot more honesty. Many reviews are unpaid and done as an honest service to their followers. Disclosure comes with it and is made. Pointing out the faults or shortcomings of a product and how it compares to competing products is all part of an honest review - paid or not.
I lived in the Detroit area for 33 years and Mike did have a career in journalism including as an investigative reporter for WDIV before he went on to other things, here is a reference to one of his stories...

https://books.google.com/books?id=mf...videos&f=false

Clearly no longer in hard news, does still do not very technical pieces for local TV stations as PC Mike technology reporter...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Default Wedlund on Winter Camping

I am trying to figure out why anyone is criticizing Wedlund for what he doesn't report. He has always focused on their own experience, not some in depth report. He has done a number of pieces on using his class b in winter. They were, as always, focused on the positives. But he didn't fail to report the negatives.

His visit to the Beargrease dog sled race in northern Minnesota is an example. He talks about how well the webasto heater worked, with just a small space heater up front to supplement it. And while he doesn't dwell on it, he mentions that his sprinter didn't start and had to be towed in and warmed up to get it started. (We are talking -20'sF temperatures). So while it was definitely a promo for camping in extreme cold, he didn't ignore the problems.

That is exactly what I would expect from him. There are no sources of information without their biases. Some are just more obvious than others. Wedlund's were pretty obvious and explicit.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
I am trying to figure out why anyone is criticizing Wedlund for what he doesn't report. He has always focused on their own experience, not some in depth report. He has done a number of pieces on using his class b in winter. They were, as always, focused on the positives. But he didn't fail to report the negatives.

His visit to the Beargrease dog sled race in northern Minnesota is an example. He talks about how well the webasto heater worked, with just a small space heater up front to supplement it. And while he doesn't dwell on it, he mentions that his sprinter didn't start and had to be towed in and warmed up to get it started. (We are talking -20'sF temperatures). So while it was definitely a promo for camping in extreme cold, he didn't ignore the problems.

That is exactly what I would expect from him. There are no sources of information without their biases. Some are just more obvious than others. Wedlund's were pretty obvious and explicit.
Probably because when you tout that you have journalist credentials, and as Greg referenced, have some bonafides in your past, then the bar is higher for you, and the expectations of your audience are higher. If you want to be a hack, then that's fine, but don't make claims that you aren't.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

What wincrasher said...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #58
Platinum Member

I would think some of the displeasure with how Wendlund handled the conflict of interest thing could be from the early days of his website and facebook pages. He was a very hardcore Roadtrek support/defender back then, doing a lot the kicking off of anyone who questioned or complained about anything Roadtrek did or said, and preaching the company line. That period of time was when the very incorrect claims were being made about the original AGM etreks and Roadtrek was pushing back very aggressively against anyone and everyone who questioned them.

Over time he has mellowed a bit, but I don't know if it is because he saw the end of his Roadtrek deal coming, or because it was the right thing to do, but at least now he is much transparent than he was in the beginning.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #59

Quote:
SWEET!

Although I like "Vegan Dinner Party" better as a channel name...
Wincrasher, I keep trying to read your blog. I get the following:

"Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from Wincrasher's Travels (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID"

Any ideas?
snapperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #60
Platinum Member

The Tech Guy in Action

What journalistic credentials and bonafides does one have to have to be a journalist covering technology?

How long has he been PC Mike?

I am amazed at his deep knowledge of all things tech /s.

1000 YouTube Subscribers Thus Far

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote