Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #101
Platinum Member

As an owner of 2 Roadtreks... the first an original Ecotrek model with solar and underhood generator... that NEVER worked causing me to switch back to AGMs which worked perfectly... I think I have earned the right to an opinion on this new technology. The underhood generator required two re-programmings, but seemed to be working fine for the last year before I traded it in on my current Zion.

Since I spend a quite a bit of time on Facebook, there are still lots of issues with the tech in these rigs. We have a member here who has located significant inverter issues on the Aktiv and likely the rest of us. We have daily reports of inverter deaths... and battery deaths... and too many gremlin type wiring issues. What percentage of rigs on the road with the systems have issues? Who knows... 10%? less? more?

Back to the UHG... it hangs down beside the passenger front wheel with a cover. It has caused lots of issues with coolant leaks... such that most of us check almost daily. There have been blown engines... at least 2 that I know of... leading to a nightmare for the owners of finger pointing between EHGNA and FCA to get replacement engines. (because you will also find coolant loss issues on the commercial Promaster board)

My UHG? It is currently disconnected after it overcharged and boiled my brand new 2nd battery. It is under recall as are all installations for most of 2018 because it has a regulator issue (not sure if it is a Nations issue or a EHGNA issue) This all happened the day before I was heading south in early October. Rather than deal with it at La Mesa, I am waiting until I get back to my dealer in MN to get it replaced. If my warranty disappears between now and the spring, I may just pull the dang thing... not as crucial now that my little dog has gone to the great beyond.

So... my opinion rather agrees with the Wendland's. I still don't think these systems are ready for prime time. Certainly not for the average non-techy RV owner. There are those that are happy to spend significant time tinkering and re-wiring and troubleshooting... and adding a few more screens on the wall with numbers and percentages of charge and amp hours left. But for most of us, we just want to load up the van - hit the battery connect button... and head for the beach or woods or desert or lake or warm weather... and relax.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #102
Bud
Platinum Member

"So... my opinion rather agrees with the Wendland's. I still don't think these systems are ready for prime time."

Mumkin, you do mean roadtrek, right? You're not including Pure 3 with ARV and the lastest Winnebago Pure 3's, and Zantrex whatever it is called.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"So... my opinion rather agrees with the Wendland's. I still don't think these systems are ready for prime time."

Mumkin, you do mean roadtrek, right? You're not including Pure 3 with ARV and the lastest Winnebago Pure 3's, and Zantrex whatever it is called.
My view is that the Volta Pure3 system is the closest one to be ready for prime time in the RV market. It is a completely integrated system provided by a company with actual experience in automotive electronics and is simple enough to operate for the average RV buyer. There are marine systems from Victron, Mastervolt, etc. that are similar but not really ideal for packaging in a vehicle. The price point needs to come down in order to make it a product for a larger RV market. LTV will likely come on board at some point when the price is right and the reliability and usability is proven in the marketplace. LTV is at the conservative end of the technology spectrum and RT made the mistake of going to the other end of the spectrum without the expertise to handle it.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Greg - do you have an idea what they do cost? I wonder if one of the outfitters has converted a RT from EcoTrek to them? I haven't had an issue with mine but always try and plan for my "what-if".

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Greg - do you have an idea what they do cost? I wonder if one of the outfitters has converted a RT from EcoTrek to them? I haven't had an issue with mine but always try and plan for my "what-if".
No, I don’t but they show retrofit kits on their website so they can probably quote a price if those are actually available now...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #106
Platinum Member

I have reached out to one of their upfitters that they recommended when I inquired. I will post what I learn. I am not guessing this will be cheap but figuring "what would I do" if the day comes.....sell, add AGM, try and buy new EcoTreks or get an upfitter to semi tear my van down and install Volta if this ends up being proven as "the way to go".

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I have reached out to one of their upfitters that they recommended when I inquired. I will post what I learn. I am not guessing this will be cheap but figuring "what would I do" if the day comes.....sell, add AGM, try and buy new EcoTreks or get an upfitter to semi tear my van down and install Volta if this ends up being proven as "the way to go".

Have you checked with Xantrex? They seem to have an turnkey solution. Maybe you should be an Xantrex Ambassador This may turn out to be a big customer base (Roadtrek retrofits) for them in the future and you can get the installation for free.

Video Link: Similar Setup to Roadtrek?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #108
Platinum Member

lol...maybe...again, I plan way too much for things that might never be.......this being said I will look at their set-up. :>

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 02-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #109
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Have you checked with Xantrex? They seem to have an turnkey solution. Maybe you should be an Xantrex Ambassador This may turn out to be a big customer base (Roadtrek retrofits) for them in the future and you can get the installation for free.

Video Link: Similar Setup to Roadtrek?
I would assess the Xantrex system to be below the Volta system for quality and reliability based on the component manufactuers, Magnum is generally considered to be a better choice than Xantrex and Volta uses Magnum as the source for some of their components. Nothing may be wrong with it but it should be priced lower than the Volta based on the components used...
Old 02-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrierTude View Post
Which is why I can't see LTV hanging their hat on him. I think he has a very specific and limited demographic appeal (to a demographic that is going to dwindle soon)...
The latest RV Lifestyle podcast has an interview with the Ryan and Mike Elias, who lead Leisure Travel Vans in Winkler, Manitoba.

https://rvlifestyle.com/rv-podcast-e...-foolproof-rv/

Their stated demographic...
==========================
Mike Elias: But yeah, we're selling to retired couples.

Ryan Elias: And semi retired.

Mike Elias: And yeah, semi retired, and retired and even working. We're slowly seeing a shift younger, which is awesome.

Ryan Elias: So typically 65 plus is our demographic, but there are certain months on our survey returns that we get from our owners that have purchased Leisure Travel Vans that we do see you know 55 to 65 being the top category.
==========================
Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #111
Bronze Member

Yes, Mumkin, I believe pointed out that the younger tech savvy boondocking VanLifers were the ones evaluating Roadtrek and EHNA and that older people who just wanted a bombproof RV and mostly went to RV Parks were customers of LTV.

If that's so, I think Mike is probably a very good fit as Brand Ambassador. I know he styles himself some sort of tech guru, but, as someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I find that notion laughable. He's like the grandpa who makes his grandkids roll their eyes because he's just learned how to take a selfie and thinks he's a tech genius.

But seriously, both he and Jennifer I think are a good fit for LTV. I think the stated customer base will eat up their "hacks" and s'mores recipes. As for his new "Lifestyle ALL RVS WELCOME" Facebook page, I don't know. It would seem impossible to have one site that appeals to all types of RVers in all kinds of models. I suspect the older demographic in the old skool rigs will gravitate toward his site -- especially those who tootle around the Midwest to Florida route. (I've never seen Mike venture out into some really wild Western territories. And he doesn't seem like a serious hiker, which most Western campers seem to be). Also maybe a good chunk of LTV owners and wannabees. That may be enough to keep his subscription rates up.

His "voluntary" stepdown from Roadtrek (and does anyone really believe Mike had a choice in the matter), and his adoption by LTV may be good for everyone all around. His RVing grandpa persona is better suited to the LTV demographic. And since LTVs are old skool, he won't have to pretend he understands the technology and shut down and censor anyone who is experiencing real world issues with bleeding edge systems. So LTV users, unlike Roadtrek users were, won't be misled and gaslit by his shenanigans.

The typical LTV user will probably like Jen telling them what Tupperware to use and find Mike charming as he fumbles his way through a video ("Gee, Jen, why is the scroll not working on this video thingy".)

So, you have to be happy that the stars are aligning in this case.
TerrierTude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Quote:
But seriously, both he and Jennifer I think are a good fit for LTV
I think it's time to be brutally honest. LTV should be crafting it's marketing toward the present and future and not the past.

The Wendlands are part of a declining demographic and they remind me of Pleasantville (the movie) and not in a good way. LTV better get their AX!@$ in gear and get with the program or they will wind up like Cadillac.

The Wendlands' shtick feels terribly dated and as others have said better than I, PC Mike is no tech guy in 2019 (maybe 1980).

While LTV appears to have demand, their formula has not changed much for over a decade. No 4-season capability, No Alde heat/water, No multi-pane windows, multiplex wiring?, no advanced battery technology

Almost everything described above is no longer 'out there RV high tech design' but current design.

LTV should have been courting the Russos and not the Wendlands as Ambassadors to advise them on what is next for those who want a modern Class B / B+. Their next generation Class B+ on the new Sprinter platforms needs to change the formula and adapt to current industry best standards and not just soft close cabinet doors and trick seating arrangements

LTV is being short-sighted.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think it's time to be brutally honest. LTV should be crafting it's marketing toward the present and future and not the past.

The Wendlands are part of a declining demographic and they remind me of Pleasantville (the movie) and not in a good way. LTV better get their AX!@$ in gear and get with the program or they will wind up like Cadillac.

The Wendlands' shtick feels terribly dated and as others have said better than I, PC Mike is no tech guy in 2019 (maybe 1980).

While LTV appears to have demand, their formula has not changed much for over a decade. No 4-season capability, No Alde heat/water, No multi-pane windows, multiplex wiring?, no advanced battery technology

Almost everything described above is no longer 'out there RV high tech design' but current design.

LTV should have been courting the Russos and not the Wendlands as Ambassadors to advise them on what is next for those who want a modern Class B / B+. Their next generation Class B+ on the new Sprinter platforms needs to change the formula and adapt to current industry best standards and not just soft close cabinet doors and trick seating arrangements

LTV is being short-sighted.
LTV already has brand ambassadors for the younger set...

https://leisurevans.com/wonder-explores-canada/
Old 02-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #114
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
LTV already has brand ambassadors for the younger set...

https://leisurevans.com/wonder-explores-canada/
Glad they left their Winnebago Class A and took on an LTV. When the Russos join them we will have two smart couples who will be simpatico and share common interests.

Thanks for sharing....

I'm in my 50s and know they will get us where we need to go in RVing... The others, not so much.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #115
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I may be out in left field here but I seem to remember them or him being with Winnebago for a short while. Maybe with the Revel when it first showed?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #116
Bronze Member

I'm still surprised they don't reach out to Robin at Creativity RV. She's one of the most engaging RV YouTubers out there with really good, well presented content. She's fulltiming in an LTV.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Glad they left their Winnebago Class A and took on an LTV. When the Russos join them we will have two smart couples who will be simpatico and share common interests.

Thanks for sharing....

I'm in my 50s and know they will get us where we need to go in RVing... The others, not so much.
I knew I had seen them before.....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #118
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I knew I had seen them before.....
They have a YouTube Channel and have hosted events (workshops) to redefine what a modern RV needs to be

https://www.youtube.com/user/heathpadgett/videos

They hosted an excellent session with the Winnebago Class B product manager and he incorporated many of the suggestions into their products and the concept of a Revel was discussed before it as approved for production.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #119
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm still surprised they don't reach out to Robin at Creativity RV. She's one of the most engaging RV YouTubers out there with really good, well presented content. She's fulltiming in an LTV.
I agree 100% - She would infuse a lot of great ideas into their next gen Class B+. She boondocks a lot and I bet she would make the product more useful and relevant.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #120
Bronze Member

Welp! The Wendlands are now official Brand Ambassadors.

https://leisurevans.com/blog/

What I found amusing in the attached Press Release was the boast that he "Brings 500,000 fans with him".

By my count, he has:

Just under 20,000 followers on the Lifestyle Facebook group

63000 or so subscribers on the YouTube channel

About 6000 on Twitter

Am I missing something? ARe there hundreds of thousands subscribing to his podcast. I couldn't find figures for that.

Sounds like Leisure Travel Vans has a Brand Ambassador program that is mainly a referral program with $150 awarded for every referral that results in a sale. So expect the RV Lifestyle Facebook Group to suddenly be a heavy handed ongoing ad for LTVs.