Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Default What is it called?

I just finished installing the upgrade kit for my Magnetek converter which went very smoothly and easy instructions. Got tired of my house battery 'boiling'! I have an new battery but now I don't have 12 v. power from the battery going into the converter.

I found on the wall of the compartment that the converter unit sits are three small electrical connectors with two red wires attached to each. The middle one has the positive wire from the battery going in and another wire out to the converter unit. No power on the outgoing wire so the contacts/switch(?) in the connecter must be shot. I can jump the two wire stubs and get power to the converter and house. Could you tell me what that electrical unit is called so I can replace it. I think I can make out the words "short stop" on it.

A 1993 Pleasure Way by the way.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If it looks like this:

Then it's a Circuit Breaker.

Bussmann Auto, Manual & Modified Reset Circuit Breakers
Series 120 SHORTSTOP
SPECIFICATIONS
Single Pole Thermal Type Breakers
Ratings: 8A to 50A; 12 VDC
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

Yup - that's what it looks like so that's what it would be...and my circuit is definitely broken. Thanks for the help. Just couldn't put a word to the part.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Your new converter's output might be higher that the old one. That cable will most probably be 12v in to the converter and also charging voltage out (and amperage) to the battery.

It's best to match the circuit breaker amp rating to your wiring specs. You could put a 50 amp breaker on 6 gauge cable for example.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #5

The key word on the photo caption that you sent was "reset". Found a little reset button on the breaker, clicked it and all is working well. I think in my initial dis-assembly I neglected to disconnect the engine battery. Got I bit of a spark to remind me The new battery was a little discharged and is now charging via shore power so I'm keeping an eye on it with my meter.