Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 AM   #1

Question What Should I Do? Keep RoadTrek?

When I purchased my 2003 RoadTrek 190 Versatile 3500 Dodge Ram I thought great! It's only got 65k miles on it. The week after I bought it, the engine light went on; 3 valves were misfiring. I had to put a new engine in, which I was certainly not anticipating spending another $12k on the vehicle after purchasing for $25k. The dealership told me that the low mileage was a negative and that the vehicle was not used enough to keep the engine running in good condition.
So, now that I've got close to $40k invested in this van, and it's 1-1/2 years later, and while I have used it quite a bit, (I've put 13k miles on it) I've been showing it to sell.
HERE'S THE QUESTION: I can't get my money back selling it - I've been asking $28k and while many have seen it, nobody wants to buy it at that price. What should I do?
I'd rather have a less complicated van I can live in like (take a lower price on the RT) and buy a new Ford Transit Connect. Or, should I just keep the RT and modify it?
pzilavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You've got an RT with only 13K on the engine. If you can live with the amenities and layout, I'd say keep it.

If you go into a newer one you'll certainly have a lower bank balance!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #3

Default What Should I Do?

Thanks obgraham. Have you ever heard of removing the black water tank? I really don't like living with a sewer - bad feng shui! I'd rather have a composting toilet, or just use camping facilities, or just doing #2 the old-fashioned way with a bucket. Since I winterized last winter I've never used the toi - I just use a chamber pot for #1. I know - deep subject matter but really, I don't like doing the dumping and don't like living above a sewer. -p
Old 07-19-2016, 02:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

So you would rather live with poo inside instead of below in a sewer. How long do you think it takes to compost? Do you wonder why you have to depend on electricity and a fan 24/7 to eliminate odor? Do you third world deposit your toilet paper in a waste basket? What about the pee bucket? You really want to handle that frequently? Do you know what it takes to maintain a composting toilet? Do you really believe that last tank filling poop is compost?

I would rather live above a sewer I can empty without ever seeing or handling its contents.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #5
Platinum Member

PZILAVY - Two observations, with respect:
1. If you can't decide between keeping and replacing, how do you expect anyone else to decide for you, not knowing anything about you or your finances?
2. If you don't like handling the sewage consider selling the unit, don't replace it, and take vacations in motels.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Don't remove it, just don't use it. You can remove the toilet and store it somewhere. Cap off the tank after it's all drained and put a cassette or composting toilet in the potty. Keep the original toilet around so you can put it back when you go to sell it.

As for the vehicle, you won't recover the cost of the engine in the resale. I'd just keep it and temporarily modify it.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Don't we pretty much all live over a sewer?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Don't remove it, just don't use it. You can remove the toilet and store it somewhere. Cap off the tank after it's all drained and put a cassette or composting toilet in the potty. Keep the original toilet around so you can put it back when you go to sell it.

As for the vehicle, you won't recover the cost of the engine in the resale. I'd just keep it and temporarily modify it.
My thoughts exactly

Or just leave it as it is - Millions of RV's out there have waste tanks. Lots of happy campers cruisin' around.

It's probably a $15K hit if you sell now. You're going to take the hit regardless at some point. If you get use of and enjoyment from the unit that helps offset the "cost".
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I also am having trouble figuring out what you want. There is an awful lot of difference between a Transit Connect and a Roadtrek. The Connect is very small and would barely be long enough to even sleep in the back of. Of course it will be 6000# lighter so better mileage, though

I know it is already water over the dam, but having a $12K bill to fix a misfire on 3 "valves" (I assume really cylinder misfires), seems extraordinarily high for a low mileage engine, even if it has been sitting a lot. The Dodge engines aren't overly sophisticated, and by most accounts very durable. Misfires are usually due to electronic issues in the ignition or fuel system, or low compression on the cylinder, which can be fixed without doing a complete engine replacement. Even if the engine was toast, the junk yards are full of engines that would fit, with reasonable miles on them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilavy View Post
I'd rather have a less complicated van I can live in like (take a lower price on the RT) and buy a new Ford Transit Connect. Or, should I just keep the RT and modify it?
Anything new is certainly going to be more complicated. If you look at newer class B motor homes the interior amenities really aren't that much different than yours so you'll just be trading for higher repair bills and monthly payments.

What kind of modifications are you thinking of other than the toilet?
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 AM   #11

What kind of modifications are you thinking of other than the toilet?[/QUOTE]

Well, I am realizing I should just keep this van even though it is more than I need. I do love this van don't get me wrong. But a 3500 is a beast. There are 3 sizes of Transit Connects, and you can order tall ones and there is that Nissan 1500 that is also very conversion-able. But I digress. I'll just take the hit of having a beast, luckily gas is still sort of cheap, and get my money's worth out of it by using it. Thank you for reinforcing the fact I'll never get my money out of it.

3 of the valves or the cylinders (?) had some kind of "leak down" so that's why it needed a completely new engine. I could quote the paperwork. I will do that tomorrow.

Modification #1: Install a pump system for drinking water so I can just have a 5-gallon container with clean drinking water stored in place of the rear passenger seat, and have it empty into the sink.
#2: Also in place of rear passenger seat and the legroom in front of that seat build cabinets including a pull out cabinet for hanging files; and a desk area that could be on a hinge so you could have it up or down.
#3: The toilet area to the right of the toi is completely open - it's got a hanger rack but I wouldn't want to hang clothes right next to the toi. So, build in drawers there for storage.
#4: Solar panels
#5: suggestions anyone?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 AM   #12

I'm very grateful to be part of this Forum. Thank you everyone.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #13
Platinum Member

If you are not aware of the Cheap RV Living website you might want to take a look over there as a supplement to this forum. You might find useful info there for your changes since it is less oriented toward traditional Class B vans and more oriented toward owners modifying bare cargo vans as needed to meet owners desires. Just my take on where you might find some useful info...

Cheap RV Living.com-Home
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilavy View Post
Thank you for reinforcing the fact I'll never get my money out of it.
On the contrary I definitely think you will get your money out of it by keeping it. You are not going to find a Class B with a new engine for the amount of money you have invested. Be happy and enjoy.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdanielson View Post
On the contrary I definitely think you will get your money out of it by keeping it. You are not going to find a Class B with a new engine for the amount of money you have invested. Be happy and enjoy.
Agree, keep it and enjoy.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote