Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Default what to use as a jack ?

hi all.

Comming down from Mt lemon monday( 9,157 ft according to the sticker we got) we get to the first stop sign at the bottom and noticed a loud rattling noise as we pulled away..

first though was i had dropped a tail pipe. sounded just like we were dragging tin cans.. we pulled over and quick look showed nothing dragging, just then GF sees smoke comming from the pass side front wheel well. quite a bit of white smoke.

that went from a Hmmm moment to a OH **** real quick. i grabbed the extinguisher and dove under the front end but no fire just white smoke pouring out of the wheel.

brakes and lines seemed fine..could even touch caliper. back to HMMMMM.

i popped the hub cap off and found the problem.
the dust cap had popped off and was rattling around in the hub cap...looks like i smoked the front bearing.

as we sit there wondering about towing options vs changing bearing on side of road at 4pm i see there is still grease in and on the spindle and bearing..no chunks i can see and wheel doesnt rock just that the hub is about 8 million degrees.

anyway...i pull out the 8 ton bottle jack that came with the rig when we bought it, to jack tire up and see how bad bearing really is and of course it doesnt work.( see i got to the thread title

in the end we waited an hour then took the back roads slow and easy the 30 miles home. the old girl got us home.

so what is everyone using on there older rigs for a jack?. is an 8ton bottle overkill? 2 ton floor jack not enough? im around 7000lbs last time i went over a scale. havent done a front/ back yet.

all 4 wheels are getting new bearings this weekend... they are probably stock 20 yrs+ now.

thanks.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have the jack that came with the van. It stays in the van.

At home I have an 8 ton bottle jack and a 2.5 ton floor jack.

There's some info on the second page of this topic: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...amps-2474.html - about ANSI ratings for axle / jack stands that might be useful to you.

I also use ramps if not doing anything to the wheels or steering linkages.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

there is a sticker on the inside of the back door that shows a bottle jack and where to place it but not what size it is ...the original is loooong gone.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Bottle jacks are small, and easy to transport. Floor jacks are easier to use but take up more space.

I would suggest a bottle jack for inside the van and floor jack for at home. Also for at home make sure you have some quality steel jack stands or ramps. No plastic ramps!
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I carry the OE (scissor) crap jack, a good HD scissor jack that has a reduction gear and a 3 ton rated electric scissor jack in my 2005 RT 210 Pop.
Jacking the front is straight forward. The rear, due to the tanks mounted underneath in the way of any normal jacking points leaves only the rear spring pack ahead of, or behind the rear wheel as a jack point. My after market scissor jacks work.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I use Good Sam Emergency Roadside Service as my jack!
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I bought a 5 ton double ram bottle jack that I keep in the van. It goes from 8.9 to 19.7 inches, which I hope will be enough lift if I need it.

William
2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote