Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I think gas cost him $800 for the trip and he went to Starbucks every three days.

Great to hear from you Jardiner. You've sure been traveling a lot. I'm jealous

Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Hi marcopolo,
You got it correct, it cost me a total close to 800$ for all my gas expenses. Going to Starbucks every 3 days was costly in terms of gas since there are a lot of traffic lights on highway 17 and 17 Bus between Huntington and downtown Myrtle Beach. Urban traveling on a loaded RT 200 is expensive. I seriously think I will buy a Broadband card to connect directly to the net wherever I go, the overall cost would be lower. Don't forget what I mentioned : it cost me an additional 200$ on cell phone expenses for calls friends and family placed to talk to me during those two months!

As for moving around, things will be slow this summer, my wife only has 2 weeks of vacation left and will keep them for this Xmas. If she retires, it's going to be a completely different ball game.

The cost of traveling is directly related to the lifestyle you maintain. For example, in Mexico, we moved a lot East, West and South of Guadalajara. We rented a car instead of traveling by bus (some 3000 Km at 0,68$ a liter). The car rental cost some 1300$ Can. (full insurance coverage, 0$ deductible, unlimited mileage) = cost+. Instead of going to hotels, we rented small apartments and I cooked the meals = cost-. On location expenses for 3 weeks cost some 2400$ Can. including gas, gifts for the kids etc.

There is a possibility for They call me Dave to save money by staying on public lands (free) and state parks in the West which are less expensive than those in the East.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #13

Jard, In another 2-3 years, Im going to be going up the southeast coastline starting in Savannah, GA going up to at least Boston area. Have you gone this route at all , and, can u tell me any major things to do/see along the way ? Also, ill be detouring along the Outer Banks of N.C. thru Kittyhawk, so, if you have any tips and info regarding the Outer Banks...id sure appreciate it. Thanks , Dave.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
Bronze Member

Hi They call me Dave,
Can't help you a lot since I haven't been further South than Charleston, SC. However, one thing I know about Boston is that moving in the city with a class B is something you must avoid. Imagine going on a series of one way cow trails where you can't park. And this is just the beginning. Take a second mortgage on your house if you want to have enough $ to park! What we do is leave our RT at one the parkings in a town and get to Boston by using the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority train (MBTA). For example, if you're coming from the South, you could take the Providence/Stoughton Line along I-95 (the map at this link gives you the names of the towns and cities having a terminal and free parking).

If you have any specific questions on some areas starting from Charleston, I try my best to help.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #15

Thanks for the tip on Boston. Have you been to Hilton Head, S.C. ?? How is that for one or two overnighters ? And... have you done the Outer Banks of N.C. ? Is it worth going there ? Thanks, DAVE