Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default Wheel torque and Lug nut covers?

Ok I am confused - far from the first time!

Our new PW Plateau FL came with Alcoa alum. wheels (Steel for the inner duallies).

I want to use TPMS screw-on sensors on all wheels and so I bought the
Borg DL1SPAL metal valve stem kit to use on the back wheels.

The kit gives you a long solid metal valve stem for the inner steel wheels and a reverse curve metal stem for the outer rim to orient the tire valve stem in the normal outward facing position for ease of access.

There are also large rubber stabilisers that fit in the outer wheel hand-hole to better secure the long inner valve stem as it comes through the outer wheel. No doubt a good thing when adding the TPMS sensor on the end.

I have spoken with a local tire shop and they are prepared to install the metal stems for me and I will soon take the van in.

Even though I won't be doing this work myself I wanted to become better acquainted with the Alcoa wheel setup before taking the van to the tire shop, but am finding it not too easy.

(1) Wheel torque?

I wanted to know the correct wheel torque for the alum/steel wheel combination used on the duallies to ensure the tire shop uses the right setting.

PW cannot tell me, and just refer me to MB.

The Mercedes owners manual for the 2018 3500 Sprinter is not very helpful.

All is says is steel wheels - 177 lb-ft. alloy wheels-133 lb ft.

But what torque to use for the combination of one steel /one aluminum wheel?
I am guessing it would also be 133 lb-ft but would like to confirm that.

I have emailed MB & also Alcoa and hopefully will get a reply from someone! Anyone here already checked that out?

(2) Lug nuts or bolt? decorative caps?

I can't really tell from the MB Sprinter manual if my dual rear wheels use bolts or nuts. The manual seems to describe both situations! I guess it doesn't really matter! From info I have seen elsewhere on line, I think it uses nuts.

In any case I'm pretty sure they have decorative chrome covers or caps on the nuts or bolt heads!

I'm guessing the tire shop needs to remove these covers before attempting to loosen the wheels - or is it normal to just leave the covers in place and use an appropriate sized socket? I wouldn't think so, as I expect that would damage the covers.

If the covers need to be removed, can they just be wiggled/pulled off with channel locks having protected jaws to minimise damage, or is a special tool needed?

Likely the tire shop knows exactly what to do and I am worrying about nothing - but who knows!?

When I take the van to them, I would like to go armed with some knowledge - just in case the guy assigned to do the work is about to mess things up on my nice new van!

Appreciate any advice! .................... Brian.
__________________

<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 250
Default

How about contacting Alcoa? I just checked out their web site and it has an area for contacting customer support.

https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/...ca/en/home.asp
__________________

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
How about contacting Alcoa? I just checked out their web site and it has an area for contacting customer support.

https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/...ca/en/home.asp
Yes, I emailed both Mercedes Benz Canada and Alcoa.

Alcoa replied today and suggested that for the trear combination of a steel and an aluminum wheel, to just use the figure that Mercedes state in the 3500 Sprinter owners manual for alloy wheels - namely 133 lb-ft.

Unless I get a reply from Mercedes saying something different I guess that is what I will be doing!

I'm still wondering about how one deals with nut covers - just pull em off with padded channel locks, or use a socket that fits over them and leave them in place. I assume they are an Alcoa component. No mention of them in teh Mercedes manual that I saw.


Thx ......... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: MI
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Yes, I emailed both Mercedes Benz Canada and Alcoa.

Alcoa replied today and suggested that for the trear combination of a steel and an aluminum wheel, to just use the figure that Mercedes state in the 3500 Sprinter owners manual for alloy wheels - namely 133 lb-ft.

Unless I get a reply from Mercedes saying something different I guess that is what I will be doing!

I'm still wondering about how one deals with nut covers - just pull em off with padded channel locks, or use a socket that fits over them and leave them in place. I assume they are an Alcoa component. No mention of them in teh Mercedes manual that I saw.


Thx ......... Brian.
When I had nut covers by Alcoa on a class A coach there was a special set of pliers with soft plastic coating on the clamping end for pulling the covers. I would remove the covers before taking a wrench to the nuts since my covers were either very thin metal or plastic that would get damaged by wrenching on them.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaak1993 View Post
When I had nut covers by Alcoa on a class A coach there was a special set of pliers with soft plastic coating on the clamping end for pulling the covers. I would remove the covers before taking a wrench to the nuts since my covers were either very thin metal or plastic that would get damaged by wrenching on them.
Thanks Jaak. I will take a look in the Mercedes tool kit to see if maybe PW received those pliers with the wheels and put the tool in there. If not maybe I can order them from Alcoa.

I'm sure you are right - trying to use a socket with them in place would likely not be a good idea!

My airstream trailer came with lug nuts that had some sort on non-removable chromed covers - they were quite a pain, did not work well, came loose, jammed in the socket etc.

Eventually I changed the wheels for larger ones in order to use Michelin light truck tires instead of trouble-prone trailer tires, and when i did that I nought new solid chrome plated lug nuts - problem solved!

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 921
Default

Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels have lug nuts.

These or something similar is what you need to remove covers on lug nuts.
https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-3060.../dp/B000GPGOIQ
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 38
Default

I found this instruction. https://buytruckwheels.com/pages/whe...specifications
If me, I would torque the inner wheel using the steel wheel specs, then the outer using aluminum spec.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
I found this instruction. https://buytruckwheels.com/pages/whe...specifications
If me, I would torque the inner wheel using the steel wheel specs, then the outer using aluminum spec.
Well, I have never owned a vehicle with dual wheels before - and likely won't be taking wheels off myself, just want to ensure the garage/tow truck uses the proper torque, and it was my understanding that there are through bolts that pass through both wheels and the lug nuts sandwich the the inner and outer wheels together - that way it is not possible to torque the steel wheel to one value and the aluminum wheel to another.

This was why I was unsure as to what torque to use - although my gut feeling was to use the lower value rated for alloy wheels.

So far I have had no reply from an email to Mercedes Canada, but the indication I have from Alcoa (and others on the forum) says the same - use the torque value
for alloy.

Thx ....... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sprinter 3500 with dual rear wheels have lug nuts.

These or something similar is what you need to remove covers on lug nuts.
https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-3060.../dp/B000GPGOIQ
Thx Boxster,

I did get a reply from Alcoa and they told the me same thing as to the type of tool to use.

I have not had this type of lug nut cover before and am concerned that if I have the van in a garage or get assisted by a tow truck, the mechanic might just put a larger socket right over the covers and b*gger them up, so I was thinking maybe to but the correct tool and carry it with me!

Alcoa tells me this can happen!

What do you thinK? Not necessary to do that?

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
I found this instruction. https://buytruckwheels.com/pages/whe...specifications
If me, I would torque the inner wheel using the steel wheel specs, then the outer using aluminum spec.
Well, I have never owned a vehicle with dual wheels before - and likely won't be taking wheels off myself, just want to ensure the garage/tow truck uses the proper torque, and it was my understanding that there are through bolts that pass through both wheels and the lug nuts sandwich the the inner and outer wheels together - that way it is not possible to torque the steel wheel to one value and the aluminum wheel to another.

This was why I was unsure as to what torque to use - although my gut feeling was to use the lower value rated for alloy wheels.

So far I have had no reply from an email to Mercedes Canada, but the indication I have from Alcoa (and others on the forum) says the same - use the torque value
for alloy.

Thx ....... Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
I found this instruction. https://buytruckwheels.com/pages/whe...specifications
If me, I would torque the inner wheel using the steel wheel specs, then the outer using aluminum spec.

This is the wrong information for Sprinters and only applies to heavy truck wheels. The wheels on a Sprinter 3500 dually are hub piloted, but only use a single set of lug nuts to hold both the inner and outer wheels to the rear hub.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:26 AM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thx Boxster,



I did get a reply from Alcoa and they told the me same thing as to the type of tool to use.



I have not had this type of lug nut cover before and am concerned that if I have the van in a garage or get assisted by a tow truck, the mechanic might just put a larger socket right over the covers and b*gger them up, so I was thinking maybe to but the correct tool and carry it with me!



Alcoa tells me this can happen!



What do you thinK? Not necessary to do that?



Brian.
There is a better adjustable tool at this link.
https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-10.../dp/B000XPUT0S

The first link I posted only works well on large truck wheels.


I carry one with my tire changing tools. I also remove the covers on those rare occasions when I take my van in to have the tires serviced.
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
There is a better adjustable tool at this link.
https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-10.../dp/B000XPUT0S

The first link I posted only works well on large truck wheels.


I carry one with my tire changing tools. I also remove the covers on those rare occasions when I take my van in to have the tires serviced.
Thanks,

Those look good, although the one and only review on Amazon doesn't give them a vey good review. Have you used them much? work ok?

They don't seem to have them on Amazon.ca but I will either order from Amazon.com or maybe make up my own! I have welding equipt and lots of old pairs of channel-locks! Could either dip the jaws in that plasticising stuff or just pad them with a few layers of duct tape!

I want them for the same reason you have them - I don't have 100% faith that every garage or tire repair truck guy will deal will always deal with removing the lug nut covers properly !

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Thanks,

Those look good, although the one and only review on Amazon doesn't give them a vey good review. Have you used them much? work ok?

They don't seem to have them on Amazon.ca but I will either order from Amazon.com or maybe make up my own! I have welding equipt and lots of old pairs of channel-locks! Could either dip the jaws in that plasticising stuff or just pad them with a few layers of duct tape!

I want them for the same reason you have them - I don't have 100% faith that every garage or tire repair truck guy will deal will always deal with removing the lug nut covers properly !

Brian.
They work fine - not that I use them very often. The first pair I bought were not adjustable and made for big truck lug nut covers - they didn't work well.

You could make your own or look for a cheaper price like this place.
Adjustable Lug Nut Cover Installation and Removal Tool - PartsSystems
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
They work fine - not that I use them very often. The first pair I bought were not adjustable and made for big truck lug nut covers - they didn't work well.

You could make your own or look for a cheaper price like this place.
Adjustable Lug Nut Cover Installation and Removal Tool - PartsSystems
Haha, sure couldn't beat that price!

Even the $18 price is very good, but sometimes us poor Northern cousins get dinged with stupid customs broker charges and such!

And Donald - much as I agree with some (..just some..) of what he says, seems to be making things tougher rather than smoother between our countries!

Mind you, I'm not sure "Trudeau the younger" is helping much either!

A pox on both their houses!

(Not that I am very wise about "Things politic!")

One way or another I will buy or make a set of said "Lug nut cover pliers!" and hopefully never need them!


Thanks ............. Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 AM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Haha, sure couldn't beat that price!

Even the $18 price is very good, but sometimes us poor Northern cousins get dinged with stupid customs broker charges and such!

And Donald - much as I agree with some (..just some..) of what he says, seems to be making things tougher rather than smoother between our countries!

Mind you, I'm not sure "Trudeau the younger" is helping much either!

A pox on both their houses!

(Not that I am very wise about "Things politic!")

One way or another I will buy or make a set of said "Lug nut cover pliers!" and hopefully never need them!


Thanks ............. Brian

Ordered a set of those pliers today after I went to the tire shop that will install my metal valves stems and learned that they had no such tool! A bit surprising!

I think once I get the tool I will take the lug nut covers off myself before taking the van in for the stems! I'm sure I can take more time to do it than teh garage would! It will be handy to keep the pliers in the van too in case I need them on the road! Pity the wheels didn't just have chromed lug nuts in the first place!

Thanks again for the link to the pliers!

Brian.
__________________

<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×