Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default when buying how many miles on unit are too many

I am thinking about looking at a 232 double slide coach house platinum ... it has 105K miles ... should I be afraid ... also can anyone recommend a good inspector in the tampa area .... since I know nothing about engines etc. I really like the floor plan and the fact that it has a full bath no wet bath and a dedicated bed and when the slides are in the bed, bath, kitchen etc is all usable... so honest opinion ... please ...
Flgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Not sure if this will help. Good luck!

https://nrvia.org/locate/
Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
Bronze Member

thank you ... just dropped a note to a level 2 guy to see what he charges and what he inspects ...
Old 12-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Silver Member

Default when buying how many miles on unit are too many

I’ve had a lot of older vehicles.
100k is not a lot on a modern vehicle or motor these days.

Especially if you know the history:
If privately owned and you have reasonable assurance it was maintained regularly.

If it was commercially owned and had a life of many different drivers then it can be risky.

People just don’t care as much for leased, rentals, or corporate owned vehicles as well as their own.

I usually consider most private vehicles under 150k miles should have another 40k - 50k of life with only regular maintenance items needed (brakes, tires, maybe an alternator, etc).

After 200k bigger repairs are looming like transmissions , universal joints, etc.

A lot will depend on the maintenance and ownership it had!
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That model is actually a class C RV, and has two slides, so totally different than the age rules that apply to the more normally discussed class b vans here.

In general, class C construction isn't as robust as a full steel van even if the van has an add on high roof. Slides are notoriously trouble prone sometimes.

I think a very detailed and thorough inspection would be in order, and be prepared for some things to go wrong down the road. Be particularly aware for any signs of water intrusion, as that can make a class C money pit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

I worry less about mileage than I do about rust and overall coach construction. IMO the chassis will outlast a wood/sticks build coach compared to a steel constructed converted van where the coach could outlast the chassis. If the coach is constructed well and will last, even if you need to put in a new engine or transmission on a high mileage vehicle you could be way ahead money wise.

I bought a 2000 Roadtrek 190P with 56K miles on it, no rust, and paid <$20K. I was looking at my budget of $60K-$80K for newer Roadtreks. But I liked the layout of the older Roadtreks over the newer ones. So I justified that if I am saving $40K to $60K, and getting the layout I prefer, I can easily spend whatever I need to bring the van up to snuff and still save a ton of money.

So far I put about $4k into it for new refrig, water heater, converter, custom table, and cosmetic and minor updates. I banked $10K for new engine and transmission should it ever need it. I'm still $20K-$40K ahead. It has 94K miles on it and has only needed brakes, shocks, tires, water pump, and lower ball joints. Runs like a champ and has taken me from the tip of North America (Nova Scotia) to the lower tip (Key West), and west of the Mississippi without ever leaving me stranded for failing to start. I maintain it well, and do regular preventive maintenance. Couldn't be happier with my decision.
Reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was told many years ago by an RV salesman that it was very difficult to sell a unit with over 60k miles. That number may have increased a bit in the present day, maybe to 100k but what it means is you will get a big price break if you accept the higher mileage.

The previous post explained the benefits very well.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Not sure what chassis you have, but my 06 roadtrek 210 now has almost 140,000 miles on it and good as new. It has the chevy 6.0 liter engine. I would drive it anywhere. It has been well maintained, and that does make a difference (try to get all svc records for the vehicle). Good luck.
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default It's about condition

Miles don't matter, condition does. With regular maintenance, a vehicle can go several hundred thousands miles. There are even vehicles with over a million miles on them; they are usually semi-trucks, but some passenger cars have gone over a million miles (like a Mercedes 170 in Germany, on its third engine).

Obviously, chassis rust is the enemy. Anything else can be fixed. Engines, transmissions and suspension can be replaced, Just say away from anything that hasn't been maintained, or you'll end up with someone's laundry list of things they never took care of.

And price your offer accordingly.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 AM   #10
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

We bought a 1995 Explore 230 with a Dodge 3500 body. It only had 23,000 miles on it when we purchased it 10 years ago. Because it sat so much we had to replace quite a bit of parts. Such as tires, ball joints, both batteries, water heater and all fluids. The Onan generator even though only had ran under 100 hours had many problems. We are still ahead of game money wise. My point is good mileage but sat for a long time.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Just wanted to thank all for the input ... have not bought anything yet ... going to tampa show in Jan. wanted to wish all a HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR ..
Old 12-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Have a 2004 Pleasure Way..had about 85,000 miles, now has almost 114,000..like other posters, I have had some work done: tires, suspension, steering, etc..but I love it, and feel I have gotten a lot for my $$..it was in good shape, and still is..hope to have it a long time!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I am not sure if they do inspections but folks "swear" by them but they are in Gainseville. Think it is like 90 miles from us....maybe a bit more.

https://sunshinestatervs.com/

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote