Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default when its cold out, my propane system stops working

Hi, my question is regarding my 97 roadtrek 190, my propane system begins to stop working whenever the outside temps get near freezing, this means no stove, and most importantly no furnace. I have been told to put a hot wet towel over the regulator and the tank valve, this does work for a while but then it stops working again after a short while, I would really like to do some winter camping, but without a furnace, its fairly impossible, I have a very basic understanding about the propane being a liquid, and freezing temps affect it, but how do the rest of you keep your systems going , regardless of the outside temps, this one baffles me, is there a way to set up a 12v tank warmer?, please let me know if you have any suggestions, thank you,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Replace your regulator. Cheap and easy experiment that has a fair chance of success. There is no reason your system shouldn't work at low temperatures.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Like Avanti says - replacing the regulator could be an easy and inexpensive fix. I've used the propane system with temperature outside down to 14F no problems in a Class C.

Adjusting the pressure could be another option. There are a couple of links in this post - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post26102 - that explain how to do a gas pressure test using a DIY U tube manometer.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

While you are at it, might consider adding an Extend-A-Stay Deluxe to your propane system with the replaced regulator. This allows for one to use a barbecue propane cylinder for additional gas, as well as use the onboard propane system for a grille.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

thanks for your replies, I will try and replace the regulator and see if that helps, I was checking online, and see there are 2 main manufacturers, camco and Fairview, by any chance is one better than the other, or are they pretty much the same??, thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I can't really help with the brands. The regulator brand on my van is Marshall.

An exact or very close replacement of what you have would be easiest. That way it will fit with no fuss. The one on my van is not directly mounted to the tank which makes for less choices for replacement. I still haven't changed it because everything works since adjusting the regulator pressure - I basically forgot about it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks, I called my local rv shop, and they have one in stock, ill let you know how I do after replacing it,,,,,,
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I went to my local rv shop and purchased a new lp regulator, it was the Marshal brand, I had a chance today to replace the old one with this new one, and after checking to make sure there were no leaks, I went inside my roadtrek, and everything works perfectly again, the stove , fridge, and the very important furnace. So I think it was the old regulator that kept seizing up whenever it got really cold outside.. thanks again for all your help,,,,take care,,,,