Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Question Where to post for rollup cabinet door?

Hi all,

New member here, and have a question about my 1998 Road trek 190. The TV cabinet rollup door is broken, and I have removed it. It was broken when I bought the RV, so don't know what's missing on the bottom for stops. The bottom wood piece is broken out of the guides and there are several slats missing with fabric showing but it still slides up (carefully).

Before attempting wood/glue/fabric repair on the old fabric, and cutting thin replacement wood slats was wondering... Where can I find a replacement door if that's possible, or at least post in the right area where someone would have some suggestions for repair or replacement?

(also called thin flat wood Tambour cabinet door)

Thank you,
V/R
Bill
Bill_Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis View Post
Hi all,

New member here, and have a question about my 1998 Road trek 190. The TV cabinet rollup door is broken, and I have removed it. It was broken when I bought the RV, so don't know what's missing on the bottom for stops. The bottom wood piece is broken out of the guides and there are several slats missing with fabric showing but it still slides up (carefully).

Before attempting wood/glue/fabric repair on the old fabric, and cutting thin replacement wood slats was wondering... Where can I find a replacement door if that's possible, or at least post in the right area where someone would have some suggestions for repair or replacement?

Thank you,
V/R
Bill
Welcome to forum Bill!

My guess is you've got a plan and are handy enough to fix it yourself. More likely than finding a replacement. But this is a great forum and you never know. Some members have removed items from their van and may be glad to sell you what you need.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi Bill, I have a 97 Roadtrek with the same door that you are describing, it was broken on mine also, I called everywhere and was unable to find a replacement, so I ended up redoing it myself, it was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, I found it easiest just to remove the whole sliding door from the cabinet, and repaired it on my worktable, I believe to remove it, there are 2 screws holding on the bottom piece of wood that acts as a stopper, once that is removed, the whole door slides out, once out just measure the pieces your missing and recut them , if you have a table saw, or a friend that can do it for you, Im hoping that you still have all the fabric there still, I just used a good quality carpenters glue and reattatched the small slats, youll notice there are slots on each side of the cabinet that act as guides for the wooden runners to go up and down smoothly, mine were broken so I just measured and built my own according to the width of the cabinet, but just enough so they stay in the track but don't bind as the door goes up and down,the colour was easy to match with some regular wood stain, and then I did a light coat of verathane just to give a bit of shine as the rest of the door does..If you need help to do this please let me know, I can go outr and take pictures for you, on how to dissasemble and reassemble,,hope this helps a bit,,,please let me know if you have any other questions,,,, thanks,,,,Joe,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just noticed on another post here that Bozerbust is selling his cabinets after doing a remodel, check with him to see if has the tambour door your searching for, hope this helps,,,,take care,,,,Joe
Old 06-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

Default replacement door

My sliding door was damaged by owner (me) this winter. I was in a hurry to get something out, it was freezing cold, the sliders were stuck and kept getting more jammed up as I tried everything to open them. I have been thinking it over in my head for several months and have finally decided to replace the slider with a normaly hinged door. Just got tired of the jams. You can get doors at a woodworkers supply or even some of the big box shops (ask in milwork dept.). The best fit and closest look to original would be a cabinet makers shop.
I am thinking of making that cabinet a little narrower and mounting the Tv father foward between it and the shower. If I do I will post picks.
rjlarsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Joe,
Since you've worked on your Tambour door, I wonder if you might have a suggestion for me. I have a 98 190P. The door is in fine shape and worked fine until after I had the air conditioner replaced. The mechanic that replaced the air conditioner wasn't sure how to do it at first, and I know they took apart the storage cabinets on either side of the air conditioner to some extent. My problem now is that the door still raises but not all the way. It stops about 1 1/2 inches above the top shelf so you can see the shelf but can't access it. It just feels like there's something blocking it from going the rest of the way up. I've been wondering if the back of the cabinet might be slightly out of place so that it's more narrow, and that's what is stopping the door from raising the rest of the way. The cabinet and the fabric on the wall all look okay. I haven't tried taking the cabinet apart yet. Do you think this sounds like a possibility or do you think it's something else? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Google "tambour door". You'll find plenty of pre-made options that you can trim to fit. I don't for a second believe Roadtrek made these in-house.

Bill
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
Bronze Member

The fellow who made and serviced those tambour doors for Foretravel, a coach famous for them, died a number of years ago. That was when they discontinued them in their coaches.
He may have made them for the entire industry. That would explain the difficulty in finding a repair facility.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Hi Bill, I removed the TV roller cabinet and the cabinet next to the shower for more living space. The TV roller cabinet is available but shipping it would be spendy. I'm not sure if the roller cover is removable. If it is, and nobody has an interest in the entire cabinet, then I could remove it and send it to you.
Bozeorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Bill, The cover is removable. It requires removal of the TV shelf/drawer assembly and then removal of the small trim piece for the cubby to the left of the TV shelf (small metal right angle bracket held with 4 screws. Once these pieces are off the entire roller cover slides down and out. Hope this helps.
Bozeorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
Joe,
Since you've worked on your Tambour door, I wonder if you might have a suggestion for me. I have a 98 190P. The door is in fine shape and worked fine until after I had the air conditioner replaced. The mechanic that replaced the air conditioner wasn't sure how to do it at first, and I know they took apart the storage cabinets on either side of the air conditioner to some extent. My problem now is that the door still raises but not all the way. It stops about 1 1/2 inches above the top shelf so you can see the shelf but can't access it. It just feels like there's something blocking it from going the rest of the way up. I've been wondering if the back of the cabinet might be slightly out of place so that it's more narrow, and that's what is stopping the door from raising the rest of the way. The cabinet and the fabric on the wall all look okay. I haven't tried taking the cabinet apart yet. Do you think this sounds like a possibility or do you think it's something else? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Pam
If you have something on the top shelf and it is pushed too far to the back, the sliding door will hit the object and stop. I have my manuals there and I often have to move them forward to fully lower the door.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Hi Pam, check the rear of the cabinet, you can easily see the tambour door as it recedes in the rear of the cabinet, you can follow it all the way down till it gets stuck, I’m hoping there is just something blocking the path of the door, if not , the mechanic possibly reassembled the door in a way that jams up the rear of the cabinet, either too tight or blocking the path of the door, hope this helps,,,
Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
otr
Gold Member

Default Roll top door replacement

When I bought my 2000 RT 190 I did not realize the TV shelf needed to be latched, it crashed out, but only really damaged the rolltop slightly, but as we have no need for the TV, sliding shelf, etc I decided to replace the door with a hinged one, made the lower shelf fixed, but did the shelf in a way which allowed the sliding kitchen work shelf below to continue to slide out.
Here is a link to photos of my refit which included adding good fixed shelves next to the toilet, a door on the rolltop and a cabinet behind the driver

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEjKTqQ
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Hi Pam, check the rear of the cabinet, you can easily see the tambour door as it recedes in the rear of the cabinet, you can follow it all the way down till it gets stuck, I’m hoping there is just something blocking the path of the door, if not , the mechanic possibly reassembled the door in a way that jams up the rear of the cabinet, either too tight or blocking the path of the door, hope this helps,,,
Unfortunately, the door is only about an inch or so above the top shelf, and I have a Rubbermaid container on the shelf, so it's difficult to see much inside the cabinet. I originally assumed the door was catching on something on the shelf, but when I looked in with a flashlight, I had the impression that the door is going up into something (a ceiling to the cabinet?). So, I should just be seeing the door and it doesn't go into anything at the top of the cabinet?

If I removed the door by taking the piece off of the bottom, is it difficult to get the door back in? Does it connect to something? Maybe it would be easier for me to remove the door and take the stuff off of the top shelf and see if that is the problem? Thanks!

Pam
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the door is only about an inch or so above the top shelf, and I have a Rubbermaid container on the shelf, so it's difficult to see much inside the cabinet. I originally assumed the door was catching on something on the shelf, but when I looked in with a flashlight, I had the impression that the door is going up into something (a ceiling to the cabinet?). So, I should just be seeing the door and it doesn't go into anything at the top of the cabinet?

If I removed the door by taking the piece off of the bottom, is it difficult to get the door back in? Does it connect to something? Maybe it would be easier for me to remove the door and take the stuff off of the top shelf and see if that is the problem? Thanks!

Pam
Or use an Endoscope to See, inexpensive.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Think I can talk my doctor's office into bringing their scope out to the RT? LOL!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Think I can talk my doctor's office into bringing their scope out to the RT? LOL!
Hey Pam, with your Endoscope you won't need any doctor's office. And you'll be able to see in that top portion of the cabinets, inexpensive too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #18

In my 2000 Roadtrek 200P, after pulling out the cabinet yesterday, I had to disconnect the AC plug, DC plug, Antennae connections and the thermostat.
I had 7 screws on the right (inside the overhead bin)
9 screws on the left side (all in cabinet, none in shower)
and the two button covered trim screws below have to be removed
rjlarsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Pam, with your Endoscope you won't need any doctor's office. And you'll be able to see in that top portion of the cabinets, inexpensive too.

Bud
Well, I didn't know you could buy endoscopes so easily. I just checked on Amazon. Can get some around $20-$35 to use with a smart phone or tablet. I'd have to buy a smart phone, so that would increase the price a bit. Or for $67 or higher, I could get one that comes with its own camera. Seems a lot to spend for just a one time use. Maybe I'll see if I can just stick my camera inside and take a photo.

Pam
Old 06-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #20
otr
Gold Member

Quote:
the door is in a slotted track which goes up and along the top of the inside of the cabinet and then down the back part way ( as far as it needs to fully open)
to remove the rolltop door remove the shelves on the bottom and you will see that the track gos all the way down. Part of my motivation replacing the door was to gain about 3/4 inch of depth and also if was damaged.
otr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet problems, repair parts, roadtrek, tv cabinet rollup door