Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Which B for a wanna B?

My wife & I want to get a B for a number of reasons, but the stumbling block seems to be the sleeping arrangements. I am over 6 ft and any bed of that length take up too much interior space. We are looking for a unit in which we can sleep cross-wise so to speak. This would save so much space, also the bed has to be a fixture, "ain't sleeping on top of no table" (as they say). A bathroom is the further most thing from the top of our list. Something under 26 ft is preferred.

We have looked at several makers, but just haven't found the right one yet so any and all help would really be appreciated. Oh yeah, price is a consideration.
Really don't want to go to a C!

thanks

garmp & marmp
Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #2
Gold Member

Default Re: Which B for a wanna B?

I would check out the Sportsmobile website.... http://www.sportsmobile.com/ They have used ones listed that might meet your needs.
Plus would give you an idea of differnt layouts.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

garmp - Roadtrek and Pleasure-Way make wide body Class B's. I've seen lot's of 10 yr old Leisure Travel wide body B's out there also. I'm not sure of the width of the bed though.

ennajean's suggestion to check out Sportsmobile's site is a good idea particularly if you'll be heading off the beaten path to go fishing and need the ground clearance. A custom Sportsmobile might be within your budget particularly as you have previously mentioned that a bathroom and the water tanks etc. are not that important to you. That way you'd have a newer vehicle for reliability fitted out with only want you need.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #4

garmp,

I have a 1999 RoadTrek 190 Versatile, which doesn't have the biggest bed in the world.
However, since there is just the two of us, I found it quite comfortable to put a sleeping bag in the lowered section of the floor (we don't use the inside shower) and sleep there.

Good luck

Steve
Old 01-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hey garmp,
I just looked through the Roadtrek brochure from 2002 (my model year) and the size of the King bed is listed as 76" by 74" in the 190 Popular model (my van). The problem with it for you would be it does require a "tabletop" insert to allow the King to be made. It's a 30 second install to place the section of table and a second extension panel to the mix to complete the bed base. We mostly leave it made up while we're on the road, as there's just the 2 of us. Maybe a B+ like a Trail Lite might do the job for you?

Mike.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivka
garmp,

I have a 1999 RoadTrek 190 Versatile, which doesn't have the biggest bed in the world.
However, since there is just the two of us, I found it quite comfortable to put a sleeping bag in the lowered section of the floor (we don't use the inside shower) and sleep there.

Good luck

Steve
I've tried that too Steve - but in doing so, access to and from the "facility" during the night is a major inconvenience for all involved.

I have constructed a pvc frame that fits in place over the #3 & #4 seats (East to West when the Van heads North..), then, atop that, a sturdy air mattress fits nicely and works well with a sleeping bag. It doesn't block the John and the side doors can still be used should an emergency arise.

It wouldn't work well for over 6 footers however, but it's a better option than the Roadtrek offered forward sleeping thingies - in my opinion.

So, my conclusion is that a 190 V doesn't have an adequate sleeping space for an over 6 footer.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

First thing I question is there enough room to sleep sidways? It would have to be a wide body because my other van isn't that wide. Again I would check out Sportsmobile as mentioned above. I like how they give you the option to build it like you want. I think they can custom make some things like a larger bed too.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
Gold Member

Our Sportsmobile was built with one side of the bed/dinette longer for my husband who is over 6 feet. We have the beds one on each side length wise in the back portion of the van. Front portion has the frig, microwave, closet and pantry. I will say our sleeping arrangement works great as we each have a single bed and don't have to crawl over one another if we have to get up during the night.
Wish it would warm up abit so we could take DABEE for a ride and maybe head for a campground for the night.