Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #1

Default Which Class B?

I have been looking at Road Treks. I just went to a show and I wanted to compare RT's with other brands but only RT showed up. I am interested in the 190 Popular. It's just 2 of us and the dog (small).

Some of you have other brands...what is the difference...what model on what other brand might compare? Are there any features that the other brands have that I might be missing?

--peace--
stu
sschwartzos2bbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Stu.

Current Class B manufacturers are listed here:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Try and see a few more and test drive them. You certainly have lots of choices now.

The first Class B that caught my eye was a Roadtrek. I ended up buying a Roadtrek. My budget only allowed for a used van.

I've been thinking about running a poll on the forum. Something like Class B Forum members picks. We can break down Class B RVs into categories.

1. Pop tops like GTRV Westy, Safari Condo and Pleasure-Way Traverse.

2. Gas powered Full sized normal width vans with high roofs like the Roadtrek 190 series, Pleasure-Way Lexor, Safari Condo (hard top), Sportsmobile and Great West.

3. Gas powered Full sized wide vans with high roofs like the Roadtrek 210 series, Pleasure-Way Excel and Great West Classic Supreme with a slide-out.

4. Diesel powered Dodge Sprinter based models from Roadtrek, Pleasure-Way, Great West Van, Gulf Stream Coach, Leisure Travel, Airstream, Xplorer Motor Homes and GTRV

Sportsmobile builds custom vans so they fit in almost all the categories noted above.

Right away you can start to eliminate some based on vehicle type preferences.

If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles you probably should consider a Class B RV based on a Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter. Maybe 22 mpg for the Sprinter vs 14 mpg for gas powered Class B's. Sprinters cost more though.

I like Sprinters and would have a tough time choosing between them. I just quickly looked at a local dealers online inventory and once again confirmed that Sprinters are out of my reach.

I also like the space in the wide body vans but, I prefer a normal width van because I drive on a lot of narrow roads.

The wider B's and Sprinter B's have enclosed bathrooms.

If you haven't already, check out RV.net forum here:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... rum/21.cfm

and the Roadtrek Yahoo Group (you have to join)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek/

and the Pleasure-way owners forum
http://pwowners.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Sit back, read through some of the posts, have fun.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Welcome to the forum Stu.

Current Class B manufacturers are listed here:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Try and see a few more and test drive them. You certainly have lots of choices now.

The first Class B that caught my eye was a Roadtrek. I ended up buying a Roadtrek. My budget only allowed for a used van.

I've been thinking about running a poll on the forum. Something like Class B Forum members picks. We can break down Class B RVs into categories.

1. Pop tops like GTRV Westy, Safari Condo and Pleasure-Way Traverse.

2. Gas powered Full sized normal width vans with high roofs like the Roadtrek 190 series, Pleasure-Way Lexor, Safari Condo (hard top), Sportsmobile and Great West.

3. Gas powered Full sized wide vans with high roofs like the Roadtrek 210 series, Pleasure-Way Excel and Great West Classic Supreme with a slide-out.

4. Diesel powered Dodge Sprinter based models from Roadtrek, Pleasure-Way, Great West Van, Gulf Stream Coach, Leisure Travel, Airstream, Xplorer Motor Homes and GTRV

Sportsmobile builds custom vans so they fit in almost all the categories noted above.

Right away you can start to eliminate some based on vehicle type preferences.

If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles you probably should consider a Class B RV based on a Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter. Maybe 22 mpg for the Sprinter vs 14 mpg for gas powered Class B's. Sprinters cost more though.

I like Sprinters and would have a tough time choosing between them. I just quickly looked at a local dealers online inventory and once again confirmed that Sprinters are out of my reach.

I also like the space in the wide body vans but, I prefer a normal width van because I drive on a lot of narrow roads.

The wider B's and Sprinter B's have enclosed bathrooms.

If you haven't already, check out RV.net forum here:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... rum/21.cfm

and the Roadtrek Yahoo Group (you have to join)
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek/

and the Pleasure-way owners forum
http://pwowners.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

Sit back, read through some of the posts, have fun.
I've been reading most of the posts. Most of the sprinter-based vans are
really too big for us. Although the extra width on a Ford body would be
good, we won't really use the bath/shower too much, although we will use
the outdoor shower and will probably add a modification to make a private
outdoor shower similar to what someone on this forum has already done.

Unfortunately most of the nearby dealers only have the sprinters or are roadtrek dealers so I can't see/drive the others. We will also probably buy a used one as well.

I guess I am looking for some compelling reasons to go beyond Road Treks.

--peace--
stu
Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

One thing I've noticed about Roadtrek is that they support their older vans.

Owner manuals dating back to 1987
http://www.roadtrek.com/manuals.asp

Brochures dating back to 1978
http://www.roadtrek.com/brochures.asp

Recently someone asked for and received the wiring schematics for a 1998 model.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Stu, we're in the same boat as you. Looking, haven't seen any other brand other than RT up close. Will have to buy used most likely, (wifes decision, ).
RT's will be more prevalent in the used marketplace. You will also notice some big swings in used RT prices. Some folks think theirs are made of gold, but looking around and being willing to travel a bit to look at the candidates will make the choice easier.
Our big hurdle right now is we'll have to give up our small pickup to buy one, and the RT will have to be our 2nd car rather than a travel only option. Not to mention the $$$.
So good luck in your search!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If you are looking at a later model 190P here are a few things to note. They may or may not be important to you.

Roadtreks come with an inverter. (might have started in 2004)

They have an interior freshwater holding tank which gives winter capability.

My '04 came with a locking differential and external transmission cooler which allows for 8100 lbs towing capacity.

This post:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29

notes that on Roadtreks from May 2003 or newer the water system can operated in moderate sub-freezing temperatures as low as -10 degrees C. (14 degrees Fahrenheit) (follow the instructions in your manual)

I'm not trying to promote one brand over another - it's just that some of these features aren't obvious on the dealer lot.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
If you are looking at a later model 190P here are a few things to note. They may or may not be important to you.

Roadtreks come with an inverter. (might have started in 2004)

They have an interior freshwater holding tank which gives winter capability.

My '04 came with a locking differential and external transmission cooler which allows for 8100 lbs towing capacity.

This post:

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29

notes that on Roadtreks from May 2003 or newer the water system can operated in moderate sub-freezing temperatures as low as -10 degrees C. (14 degrees Fahrenheit) (follow the instructions in your manual)

I'm not trying to promote one brand over another - it's just that some of
these features aren't obvious on the dealer lot.

That is good to know. I may not need that particular feature but it is something that makes them different. I certainly think I could use an inverter, though. I thought they all had them.

One thing I heard is that some of the vans with A/C require you to plug in before you can use them. RT seems to work off the generator and the gas tank.

--peace--
stu
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that Pleasure ways come with a converter/charger rather than an inverter.
If I'm wrong, sorry about that. PW folks, please don't flame me......

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:42 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Re: Inverters/Chargers and Converter/Chargers

I don't know which is better.

An Inverter/Charger is convenient. It is an all in one unit that charges your battery but also gives you 110 volt power when not plugged in for DVD players etc. They usually have high quality 3 stage chargers. They are expensive though.

Cheap converters ruin a battery quickly by overcharging it.

I think PW uses a good converter and adds a Charge Wizard which, by all reports, is a very good unit. It is 'smart' like the 3 stage chargers in inverter units.

I think that if you run a lot of 12 volt items while plugged in to shore power a converter might be best because it will power those 12 volt items instead of charging a battery that is powering those items.

Am I making any sense
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #10

The unit in the PW Excel as of a few months ago.

eBay link
canuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #11
g1g
Platinum Member

The first B that I saw was a Sportsmobile but then I also found out about Roadtrek. I started making a list of
things I wanted
things I would like
things I could possibly like
things I didn't want or didn't matter

Sportsmobile has whatever floorplan you want and RT is fairly standard.

Many of the things ie: base vehicle, refrigerator, toilet etc.. are the same from one to the other. I don't know if cabinents are different brands or one better than the other.

After I made the list I compared brands and when one said how they had something different I made note of it where it should be on my list. Once I found the unit that had my want list I would price it out and just compared prices. I would adjust my list and try to weigh the differance in price for a particular accessory I also checked into other brands as I found out about them.
After all that I ended up buying a used Saratoga because new ones were to expensive and I couldn't pass up the deal on the used one
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #12

Default which one

I chose a Coach house because I liked the bath (not in the middle of the asile)