Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Which Class B has the most comfortable bed?

I know all about Advanced RV's extraordinary beds. But for those of us not in the market for ARV ($$$), whose bed is the most comfortable? Is there a comparo test out there somewhere?

We're really attracted by the new Hymer Aktiv, but from a glance the bed looks a bit flimsy (in fact I have that reaction about all of the separated twin beds out there). But my eyes may be deceiving me. We're in our 60's and intend to do a LOT of traveling with our future B, and the bed quality is a factor I don't read much about in companies' literature.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

alot of people end up buying a mattress topper.

for us bed size was the prime- ours is 72" wide and 72" on the pass side and 75" on the driver's side.

we sleep fore and aft, I don;t like the middle of the night climb over.

we looked at motorized sofa beds ( little storage space underneath) and found them uncomfortable- same with anything which had triangular cushions to tetris into place.

we ended up with a model where the sofa bolsters fill area over the center aisle and that makes the bed.

our 2006 PW Lexor TD works well for us.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

I have not tried the Hymer Aktiv bed,
but from a distance, it seems to be the most comfortable bed.

Because it is a dedicated bed, it is a proper mattress. In addition, it has plastic "lifters" that act as box springs.

All the other combo beds are compromises; sofa beds are not comfortable to sit in, and not comfortable to sleep in.

YMMV
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Aktiv may have the most comfortable bed but it probably is in a tie with the Travato 59G for the least comfortable seats. Those front bench seats with the upright backs are the worst seats I have ever sat in. I couldn't sit on them for more than 5 minutes.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We did research on our bed components, ended up with a 7" thick mattress composed of high density foam and latex with wool padding and breathable covering. We camp in warmer areas a lot so latex was our material of choice. Avoid materials that do not breath like vinyl or leather covers as it makes for a less comfortable night sleep in warm environments. An upholstery shop can make you replacements. We made our own. You can order latex or any type of foam from the Foam factory.com and cut it with a electric carving knife.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

My wife and I tested out a few Class B beds at Hershey. We agree that the Hymer and the Travatos had the most comfortable. Probably because (1) they are real mattresses, not a seat/couch folded down or a foam cushion and (2) Froli system on the Travato may help, too.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Travato 59-G Owner here.
Rear bed is WONDERFUL! Both Wife and I agree, its more comfortable, and we sleep better on it, than any bed in the house(s) (and of course, that might have something to do with all the hiking, biking, and outdoor activities we do before using it).

I agree about the dinette seats with Jrobe, they do not feel comfortable to me (6'3" 225 lbs), BUT, I will say, our 11 and 16 year old girls have spent hours and hours belted in there and never complained, they even claim it is comfortable... (and they usually don't like sitting so close to each other )

Now, the dinette jigsaw bed may not be quite the same quality; neither of the girls have stellar claims about it (I've never used it), and I have read on other forums some who use the bed regularly, use it with a topper..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

You can purchase the Froli system aftermarket it improve the comfort of any RV bed with a solid support underneath.

Froli Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC
nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #9
Gold Member

These are incredibly useful messages. Thanks so much to all. If you have experiences with particularly bad RV beds that would be great to know as well.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Foam firm enough for seating tends to make a bed that's too firm (for us).
Foam soft enough for a bed tends to make a too soft a seat.

Mixing densities can work out. 4" of medium to soft foam - you know, the cheap stuff in RV's - topped with 3" memory foam works for us in this cooler climate. That's what we have in the van - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post14768 - and liked it enough to duplicate it in the travel trailer.

It makes for a soft bed. It's too soft for seating but sitting at the dinette is fairly short duration compared to all night in bed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #11
Platinum Member

The best RV bed? A platform queen size lengthwise bed with memory foam and a Froli spring system. Our set-up is almost as comfortable as our bed at home!
A permanent full-size bed was the top priority when we purchased our coach.

I installed a Froli system for having better ventilation in hot weather, and gained extra comfort.

A promo photo from the Safari Condo web site
Ram - ProMaster FLEX

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Gold Member

Judging from what folks have written thus far, the 2017.5 Winnebago Era 70A and Travato K might have the best beds among commercially produced currently (Georges, your Safari Condo doesn't count). You can raise up the head of the bed, the Froli system ensures comfort, and the full time bed eliminates hassles.

Or am I missing something? Surprised by the lack of support for the PW beds, as their memory foam is highly publicized by them.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Judging from what folks have written thus far, the 2017.5 Winnebago Era 70A and Travato K might have the best beds among commercially produced currently (Georges, your Safari Condo doesn't count)... !... You can raise up the head of the bed, the Froli system ensures comfort, and the full time bed eliminates hassles.

Or am I missing something? Surprised by the lack of support for the PW beds, as their memory foam is highly publicized by them.
Unfortunately, a sofa bed is usually less confortable than a permanent one for obvious reason. Although considered a B+, I should say that the PW Excel TS that we rented in Colorado a few years ago had an incredibly confortable bed due to the extra thick memory foam. It was a huge, almost king size bed.

If you are dreaming of a Safari Condo permanent platform bed you can have a look inside the XL-Flex models and all the Safari Condo RVs in this well made virtual visit of their showroom: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Saf...593736!6m1!1e1

The PW Excel we rented in 2011, which was a turning point in our camping experience, convincing us that we should start a campervan life soon!

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Asking what's the best bed is a bit like asking what's the best color. So much of it is individual preference.

The old-style longitudinal jack-knife couches in our 2007 Airstream Interstate are quite possible our single favorite feature of the van. We use them as-is, with no topper or other props. When the weather is very warm or humid, I do add sheets, but much of the time we just use our Rumpls and sleeping bags with them. It's hard for me to imagine how they could be any more comfortable - I love them.

They were made by Atwood and I'm not sure what, if any, present-day Class Bs have them as an option. If my husband and I were building our own Class B today, we'd make every effort to install these same units.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The old-style longitudinal jack-knife couches in our 2007 Airstream Interstate are quite possible our single favorite feature of the van. We use them as-is, with no topper or other props. When the weather is very warm or humid, I do add sheets, but much of the time we just use our Rumpls and sleeping bags with them. It's hard for me to imagine how they could be any more comfortable - I love them. [/img]
Interesting. We had those beds in our previous 2004 Interstate. We liked them well enough (and they certainly are easy to set up). However, our current GWV Legend has a trifold sofa/bed. We find it MUCH more comfortable. The reason is that with the Interstate, your body is parallel to the joints in the bed, whereas with the trifold, you are perpendicular to them. We find the latter much more comfortable, since there is no tendency to fall into the joints.

I guess you are right about this being a matter of taste.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote