Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #1

Default Which is Best Class B Camper Van? Make or Model

Being new to RV's, I can see that Roadtreks seem to be the most popular in sales, but I'd love to hear from folks who can either speak to their experiences with their own Class B Camper Van, and even better, if they can compare between makes (Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, Forest River, Sportsmobile, etc).

Sorry I'm not too savvy, so feel free to clarify. If someone could help me post a list of options to vote from, that'd be great!

Thanks for voting.

EDIT: Also, I guess I'm asking mainly about used Class B's, but I'm also open to newer models. And does anyone think the VWs are comparable in quality, reliability of Roadtreks? Thanks

Great sites:
https://www.rveducation101.com
https://www.cheaprvliving.com
https://www.greenrvliving.com
(go green folks! water bottles??)
https://tinyurl.com/6ky2sgx (compost toilet)
https://www.rv-dreams.com
(full-timing)
gspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Which is Best Class B Camper Van? Make or Model

Best is the B that lets you travel a often as you want
Best could be the best dealer in your area.
Best could be the best price.
Best could be the longest bed or most headroom if you are tall.
Best would be the B that is easiest to park if it is your daily driver.

In general, B manufacturers all build a very good product. The quality will be much better than what you would find in a low end Class C.

Over time, more people will post reviews here:
Class B Camper Van Reviews

Roadtrek owner support has always impressed me. Their owner manuals are available for download (dating back to 1987), brochures are available for download (dating back to 197. Those details resonate with me. The decision to do it and the extra effort it took.

Best is too hard for me to pick though.............
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Don't get too fixated on a converter. Most all Class B converters produce quality products. The differences are in the design layouts and details, and that comes down to a personal need and desire. I've bought from two different converters based, at the time, the one that had the most features and layout I was seeking. I did narrow down my searches to Sprinters for many reasons and then I narrowed down the converters to a basic layout I preferred. Then I started looking at the details with imagineering and actual walkthroughs in all of them I liked. You really have to do your homework. What others prefer may not be to your liking at all. So you can't depend on that. Ask more the why and not the which.

My first B was more difficult and not so difficult at the same time. Difficult in that I was a novice starting from scratch in knowledge and experience. Not so difficult because opportunity struck like lightning in that my most researched desires and a fantastic deal came together in one. In hindsight (2006) I still think I made the best decision. It was a Pleasure-Way Plateau.

My second B was much easier. After 5 years of extensive travel covering over 60,000 miles I had a lot of knowledge and was really looking to improve on the details to take me another 5 years down the road. As it turned out, the Great West Van Legend pretty much answered every little desire I had to improve on my first B and much more than any of the others.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
g1g
Platinum Member

I'm no pro to make a comparison but in my opinion there are two main factors. The first one is the vehicle, Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. How can you say what is best there. I believe all three can make a good or bad product and the best is one that won't break down and give you years of reliability. From there the second factor is all the appliances. I believe most all use basicly the same brands, for the most part, so again reliability isn't a factor as far as the manufacturer of the B goes. All that is left for choice on the manufacturer is as stated in previous post what works for you as far as floor layout, dealer and the deal. If you plan on having it serviced the individual dealer can make that a good or bad experiance just like the vehicle make and their dealer network.
Although I bought used, I knew what I definetly wanted as far as appliances etc, and also what I would like then searched for the best deal. Since I didn't buy localy I didn't consider dealer service.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

The best class B van, is the one that works for you.
You'll know which one it is, when you find it.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #6

What I have learned since getting involved with RVs in the past two years is that there are certain loaded questions that one can ask - and they always start with "What is the best...". This is like asking, "What is better, chocolate or vanilla?" And the answers that you will get about RVs is just as varied as what you will get about ice cream. The best Class B is the Class B that appeals most to you.

We decided upon Roadtrek. We also looked at Pleasureway. Why didn't we look at any of the others? Simply, there are no dealers that sell them that we could get to. And some are sold at the factory only - and those factories are across the country from us. Why did we pick Roadtrek over Pleasureway - the PW model that appealed to me was too large to fit on my driveway (PW Excel). Roadtrek offered us everything that we were looking for, fit on the driveway, and we could get to the dealer - which is 200 miles away - but that is how dealerships for both RT and PW are - scattered around the country. We bought new and not used because we wanted specific options that required ordering new.

There are positives and negatives about each of the companies - and if you read through all of the various forums you will find a lot of opinions. And again - there are PW lovers, and RT lovers, and so on. And everyone is partial to their own. Plus you will encounter the Class B lovers vs the B+ lovers vs the C lovers.

My advice is go to an RV show - spend some time in each one. See what you like and don't like. Even if you are buying used you will then know what you want and what to avoid. After that test drive - and if you can, rent one and spend a couple of nights in one. No matter what someone else says is wonderful, you may find is not for you.

Also be aware that other than the vehicle chassis/engine (Ford, Chevy, Sprinter, etc.), RV warranty service is not like car warranty service. RV Dealers have no obligation to service an RV under warranty that they did not sell - even if they sell that manufacturer's RV. If you buy a RT at dealer A, dealer B service will not do warranty work for you. And this goes for PW, and the rest.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #7

I agree with other posts that the "best" one is the one that works for you. We rented two different classes before buying. It came down to gas mileage, cost of rig, placement of appliances, ease of parking, and a few other options. But once it is yours and you take a few trips, like a house, it becomes yours, the rig is your home. It is not a temporary hotel room or an extra bedroom in a friends house as you travel through an area, but YOUR home. Good luck and whatever you choose, embrace the joy of travel.
hoof5012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #8

Thank you so much folks for the awesome posts and info/feedback, each one unique in its own way. I really appreciate it!

I knew when putting it out there that the question is difficult, BUT you each gave me GREAT insights into how to begin approaching my search for the right Class B RV (btw, I'm not sure what Class B+ is. Tried to do a quick Google search, but no definitions, and I can't search this site while I'm typing this post...), helpful asides, the fact it is 'home', and just encouraging words (search and it will come). *grin*

I wrote a lengthy post here http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...5&t=1851#p8799 about what I'm generally looking for in an RV. It's in the Roadtrek poll because as far as used and affordable and overall reliable/well-designed goes, Roadtreks and the occasional VW Eurovans seem to be only thing available in Ontario, Canada.

As for going to an RV Show, Robert1776, I think you're right. I was too impatient at first (summer's here, gotta get an RV now!) and conversely feeling overwhelmed, that I didn't think waiting for a show would help me. But I think you're probably right - it's the best way to see and compare things to see what works. Gotta wait till the fall, though, here in Toronto, Canada. *sigh*

And thank you for the dealer servicing tip/insight. I just assumed I could go anywhere and get the work done, if necessary - esp with Roadtrek.

Thanks markopolo for noting RT's online brochure and manual thing, plus pointing out the Review link. Good to know, and you're right, it says a lot about RT's commitment to customers.

Interestingly, I was looking at an '87 Roadtrek, which seemed quite well-designed and obviously rugged, having survived the years. Only thing is, I don't believe it had a shower, and I'm not sure if there was a toilet (I have to check the ad again). If it's in good condition and not requiring any serious repair, it'd be a good starter RV for me, I think. Esp cost-wise. But who knows, such an old rig could turn into a nightmare, too.

I also did wonder about the different car makes. I'm not too savvy, to be honest, esp as it relates to large vehicles. All I know is, I want excellent fuel economy and overall reliability. I saw one RV ad recently that said 28 mpg - wow! Can't remember which one, off the top. May post later...

Has anyone heard anything at all about http://www.New-West.com and their Class B RV's? I forgot to mention them in the list. They are also Canadian-made and seem quite good - I like the pop-up top sleeper idea. But no one out there is talking about this Class B RV company at all. Nada. Their videos do leave one wishing for more info. Roadtrek's product video is so detailed and helpful.

Like I mentioned in my other post, RT's small fridge size is such a sticking point for me. I really think I need a 4 cu ft fridge. Ack! Otherwise, RT is so complete in many ways. But as Davydd and others mentioned, sometimes an overall complete package comes along at the right price or with the right things thrown in that you just have to Go For It!

Like I've come across one-off deals where the RV had solar panels, or another had self-contained battery back-up, so you could survive a week or two solely on that battery and then it recharges when you drive. Another one had an Add-A-Room thrown in. Little things like that are quite appealing/handy, tho' I'm def. no techie, so I don't know if what I'm saying makes much sense in practical terms. I have to rely solely on the experience/feedback of the seller to tell me why that's a good thing or not.

Anyway, thank you all again - REALLY APPRECIATE IT! Happy travels everyone!!

And way to go Davydd. I can't even imagine racking up that much experience, but I love your verve!

Great sites:
(full-timing)
Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

it looks like new west and safari condo are similiar I think you can only get them in canada.

I have been searching for a b and have decided on a pleasure way excel. however because this enlarged model has had some handling issues in past I would only buy a 2011 or newer that has the latest pleasure way handling installs. I think you get most for shortest length. If you seacrh b's in rv.net you will learn about prior years handling issues.
(side generator/tire under rear/bathroom in this model) are great plusses in my book. as for refigerator you can get bigger ones sportsmobile
gerry
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

The Winnebago Rialta was/is made on a VW chassis I think, and it's supposed to get some very good gas mileage
with it's V6 engine, I've seen 24 mpg or higher estimates.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #11

Hi again,

I'm really appreciating people's inputs, as I continue my search for *the One*.

@gerrym51, I am also looking at Pleasureway, it's 1998 Dodge, and everywhere I look there seem to be "handling issues", which is very disconcerting.

Also, I'm noticing a distinct pattern among used B's, here in Ontario, Canada, at least...

Roadtrek is by far more popular and, hence, more available. This would probably make a difference in getting repairs, I'm thinking.

Also, the difference in mileage used on RoadTrek vs. Pleasureway is HUGE! Most Roadtrek's in the year range of vehicles I can just barely afford (ie, 1987 to 2003) have at least 100K upwards to 200K. Whereas the Pleasureways all seem to have UNDER 100K. You'd think this would be a selling point, BUT with the handling issues and I read one woman's account of her fears in driving her PW, it makes me think that people simply don't drive the van as much.

The Roadtreks, in spite of some potential floorplan/layout improvement areas, seem to be a much-loved, much-driven vehicle.

Speaking of which, I think it's disappointing that RoadTrek staff don't read up about people's comments and consider offering an alternative layout, like Pleasureway's with the galley on the passenger side, and other adjustments. Has anyone ever written to RoadTrek with their feedback? Maybe I will...

If anyone has any thoughts on 1998 Pleasureway, I'd LOVE to hear from you!

Thanks!

@mike - You're right in pointing out similarity in Safari Condo and New-West. I was quite smitten with these, as I love the pop-up tops, BUT I'm also thinking of full-timing, so not sure if pop-up is a good idea in harsh Canadiain winter. Also the New-West vans don't have toilets (Safari offers portable toilets).

Not having a toilet is perhaps not a drawback, as I'd prefer to use a composting toilet anyway (and really wish the RV builders/companies would offer an option to swap out the built-in flush toilets for independently bought composting toilets.). But they should design an area in the van to be used for 'potty time'.

Re: Sportsmobile, I was told it's not possible to own one in Canada.

Great sites:
(full-timing)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #12

hmmm - back to the chassis decision - ours is on a 1993 Ford E-250 (350 is a gas guggler...) - we had many class c's on dodge - our problem w. an older Ford (we don't know what we did!!!), the ecc computer brain burned a hole, and the vehicle will not function without the brain - if we had been in the states replacement might have been easier, but we had shipped ours to Europe, so I had to bring the old computer back with us - bought one online while we were still in Europe (guaranteed match w. vin #!!! $385) - paid for DHL delivery - did not work - next we contacted our mechanic who said that he could supple us w. the unit ($500 + DHL delivery) - did not work - so we brought the old computer back with us and went to a rebuilder place, paid $400 for another one, brought it back to Europe w. us - did not work - finally we found the right one and finally we are back "on the road again" - got a reimbursement for all the mismatches except from 'our mechanic' - needless to say we have a new mechanic
rado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #13

I have an 03 Road Trek Popular, it is a Chevrolet engine and frame with a V8 motor. I bought it used two years ago, it had 99,000 miles on it. I have always done just about all my work on vehicles (I am a retired Police Captain and am 72 years young). I changed all of my fluids before taking a trip, I use Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil, I swear by it. I changed the rear end oil, 80/90 wt. Mobil one synthetic, I drained and replaced the coolant and then most of the transmission fluid. I drove it from NY to Florida for my first trip, it ran flawlessly! I averaged 16 MPG gasoline, regular 89 octane. I love that I can drive anywhere a car can go and park there as well! Rides smooth and love that I have everything I need in this unit.
Astro driver 042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro driver 042 View Post
I have an 03 Road Trek Popular, it is a Chevrolet engine and frame with a V8 motor. I bought it used two years ago, it had 99,000 miles on it. I have always done just about all my work on vehicles (I am a retired Police Captain and am 72 years young). I changed all of my fluids before taking a trip, I use Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic oil, I swear by it. I changed the rear end oil, 80/90 wt. Mobil one synthetic, I drained and replaced the coolant and then most of the transmission fluid. I drove it from NY to Florida for my first trip, it ran flawlessly! I averaged 16 MPG gasoline, regular 89 octane. I love that I can drive anywhere a car can go and park there as well! Rides smooth and love that I have everything I need in this unit.
I suggest you change your brake fluid and power steering fluid as well. You may want to look up how to do a complete transmission fluid and filter change, as that is much better than a partial change.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
Platinum Member

The two most important decisions for me would be:

(1) Chassis. The four main current/recent platforms- Express, Promaster, Transit, and Sprinter- are very distinct. Going back a little further, the old Econoline and Dodges also have fans. If you don’t enjoy driving it, or if maintenance and reliability turn into a burden, you will end up hating it.

(2) Bed(s). If you don’t get a good night’s sleep, you’ll end up dumping it. Lots of variables: transverse or longways, together or separate, Permanent or convertible, width, length, firmness...

After that, consider what appliances you need and how they will be fueled or powered: propane, 12V, 110V, diesel, or some combination. Solar and/or generator? Hookups or off-grid? Temperate climates or all-season?

Last, consider what you need in terms of personal hygiene, ranging from a porta-potty to a fully enclosed wet bath.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I bought a used Pleaureway on a gas chev 3500 chassis- I work on my own stuff and have other chevys, so common parts, tools, manuals- my van can be fixed anywhere by anyone with parts from napa.

a diesel or make with less distribution may require specialized techs, diagnostic tools and waits for parts.

The PleasureWay was the largest bed I could find ( Front/Rear sleeper) and best use of space for us.
only 2 seats. a 3 or 4 seater may have alot of cabinetry hung which feels crowded to me.

I have all solid maple cabinets, easily snugged with a screwdriver to controls squeaks/rattles

a B is very high cost per cu ft space, but wins on mpg ( 15/16 mpg for us) ease of parking and ease of driving.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Wow, dig this over eight year old brought to the surface.

I'll touch on the refrigerator issue. A lot(most?) class B's have pretty small fridge under a counter. One way to alleviate that and have more fridge is to go with a "marine" type 12 volt compressor fridge, they are larger on the inside. The (low)amp hours per day usage will have to be planned for. Folks that have installed them pretty much will not go back to a propane fridge.

Another something about the fridge size, The older Roadtrek 200 Versatile doe have the 4 cubic feet propane fridge in it. It's mounted in a wall so the bending over is also much less of an issue. I have this Roadtrek model and appreciated the fridge and also the extra storage that it provides as well as the one piece fiberglass shell. This model is only available on a Chevy chassis. Mine is still running well at 204k miles and we're (hopefully) departing on a three month and approx 10k mile trip after Memorial Day.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:58 PM   #18
Platinum Member

One of the things we appreciate most about our 2007 RT 210 Popular is the abundance of storage both inside and outside. As to the refrigerator, we love the 5 cubic foot frig that is three way powered. It is really nice to have a B you can boondock in for an extended period of time and have all the storage and refrig space two people need for a week or more.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:24 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Regarding compressor fridges. My '2012 Airstream Avenue has a 3.1cf Nova Cool that draws 41 watts (3.154 amps) when running. And it seems to run a lot, even on cold night. Or at least it cycles often judging by the sound (which is barely audible).

With two 75AH lead acid batteries working at optimal performance and no inverter, we could easily boon dock overnight (6pm to 9am) using lights, 12v TV with built in disk player, and MaxxFan or Furnace overnight and never be below 60-70% battery capacity.

However, with no solar, two days were not doeable. And once the batteries started getting a little weaker, we'd be at 50% overnight under the above scenario.

In full disclosure, I worked very hard (using advice on this and another forum) to eliminate parasitic electrical drains. Eventually, I upgraded to 200Ah of Renogy lithium batteries, 3000W Inverter/Charger, DC to DC charger, and Battery Monitor for about $2700 self-installed. It increased our usable capacity by nearly 2.5 times and we can run the Microwave without being plugged in.

An expensive way to zap a frozen burrito.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The two most important decisions for me would be:

(1) Chassis. The four main current/recent platforms- Express, Promaster, Transit, and Sprinter- are very distinct. Going back a little further, the old Econoline and Dodges also have fans. If you don’t enjoy driving it, or if maintenance and reliability turn into a burden, you will end up hating it.
I think the chassis are distinct, but in terms of experience with reliability and maintenance there is as wide a variance for the same model as there is between models. Its pretty unpredictable, as you can see by the mixed experiences here for almost any model. In general, the importance of the driveability depends on how much you are traveling. The other issue is how the chassis effects the overall design.

Quote:

(2) Bed(s). If you don’t get a good night’s sleep, you’ll end up dumping it. Lots of variables: transverse or longways, together or separate, Permanent or convertible, width, length, firmness...
If your comparison point is a nice hotel bed, then almost any class B bed is going to fall short. If your comparison point is sleeping on the ground in a tent, almost any class B is likely to be an improvement. Personally I am in the second category. Do consider how easy it will be to get in and out of bed at night.

Quote:
After that, consider what appliances you need and how they will be fueled or powered: propane, 12V, 110V, diesel, or some combination. Solar and/or generator? Hookups or off-grid? Temperate climates or all-season?

Last, consider what you need in terms of personal hygiene, ranging from a porta-potty to a fully enclosed wet bath.
You should also consider windows and views. We have found that when traveling we are sitting inside more than we expected when the weather is bad. Being able to get up and move around and have a view is important for us. Some of the smaller class b's appear to be more cave like, better for watching TV or reading a book than for still experiencing nature.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote