View Poll Results: Which is your favourite Roadtrek, or which one do you think is best overall?
210 Popular (Chevrolet Express) 6 27.27%
SS Ideal (Sprinter Van) 0 0%
SS Agile (Sprinter Van) 3 13.64%
RS Adventurous (Sprinter Van) 1 4.55%
210 Simplicity (Chevrolet Express) 0 0%
190 Popular (Chevrolet Express 3500) 7 31.82%
190 Simplicity (Chevrolet Express 3500) 1 4.55%
170 Versatile (Chevrolet Express 2500) 0 0%
Any others I missed? 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 364
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

If you have inspected the cabinets, you are probably correct; but I was almost certain that most of the structure (other than doors) are made of particle board.

We have a closet mounted in place of one of the passenger seats. The front panel, where the doors mount, is thin plywood.

I will check the other panels, and take photos. I will be verrrrry happy to confirm the use of plywood. I will even go back into this thread and ad "edit notes", so I don't make RT look bad.
__________________

__________________
Brian
2009 Roadtrek 190V, 5" lift - Build Thread
2004 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Posts: 3,209
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspark
I did think some models had Maple cabinetry, and I'm not sure if they meant solid wood, and if it's only in specific vans as upgrades.
Cosmetic. As long as it looks real, don't worry too much about it. Few people will know it's veneer, and fewer will care.
My concern is not about the looks. Even the Pleasure-Way plywood cabinets have veneers over the plywood. My concern is the strength and durability.

Paved roads are not smooth, and dirt roads can be very abusive, especially with the corrugations & washboards. These rough bumps and vibrations will eventually destroy the particle-board structures in our RT. I will probably have to start adding reinforcement to some of the structure.

If good paved roads are the limit of the travels, then I think Mike is correct. Only cosmetic, no worries.
I know Roadtrek offers a 4X4 optional configuration, however I'd bet they have the same cabinetry as those
which were only designed to go "off road" at campsites in National/State Parks and commercial campgrounds.
I think I've read that the quality of the cabinetry has really waned as the model years have gone by, and that's
really a shame.
I have no idea what mine are made of under the veneer, but in 140,000kms of driving on just about everything
but a rocky river bed (although our recent trip to Gaspe had some very river bed-like construction zones) I haven't
seen any deterioration of the structural integrity of the cabinets. I'm sure the body has suffered some fairly decent
torque from some of the things we've encountered, but the cabinets still seem sound. We do try to avoid roadways
that beat up the van, but you can't always avoid the bad stuff, no matter how hard you try.
Actually I learned a lesson from Quebec last month. Check road conditions before you leave.
__________________

__________________
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2018 Navion 24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Posts: 3,209
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
We have a closet mounted in place of one of the passenger seats. The front panel, where the doors mount, is thin plywood
I think if there's just 2 of you, the 4th seat is often redundant, and the armoire/commode in it's place is a better use of
the space. I just wish Mobilife in KW still made custom cabinets, as I was interested in eventually replacing our 3rd
seat with a short cupboard of some sort, as we rarely have a passenger on board. I've looked at Lowes and Home Depot
for something that would work, and that I could retrofit in place of the seat and seat back, without having to buy a
carpentry shop's worth of tools.
The search sort of continues.
__________________
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2018 Navion 24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 364
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

I have to edit the information I have previously posted. It looked like many of the panels in the RT cabinets were made particle board. I did a much closer inspection, and found all panels to be made from a light duty plywood, with a plastic vainer.

I am happy to see all the plywood. The plastic vainer does not bother me, as it protects the plywood from moisture and abrasions.

The plywood is a very light-duty material, and still needs some reinforcement, if these rigs will be traveling on rough roads.

So, this is my official retraction of the "Particle Board" accusation. Roadtrek was on the right track all along. It just took me a while to catch up.

Carry on.
__________________
Brian
2009 Roadtrek 190V, 5" lift - Build Thread
2004 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,271
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I have to edit the information I have previously posted. It looked like many of the panels in the RT cabinets were made particle board. I did a much closer inspection, and found all panels to be made from a light duty plywood, with a plastic vainer.

I am happy to see all the plywood. The plastic vainer does not bother me, as it protects the plywood from moisture and abrasions.

The plywood is a very light-duty material, and still needs some reinforcement, if these rigs will be traveling on rough roads.

So, this is my official retraction of the "Particle Board" accusation. Roadtrek was on the right track all along. It just took me a while to catch up.

Carry on.
I am sure that what Roadtrek, and the other manufacturers, use for lightweight plywood is not the really good stuff that the marine builders use, but the good stuff is available. You usually can even find a marina/boat repair place that will sell partial sheets. It is really expensive, but very good stuff. Here is a link to what most consider the best of the lightweight marine materials.

http://alliedveneer.com/marine_plywo...d-p-16133.html
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 364
Default Re: Which is best Roadtrek all around? Or favourite

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
I am sure that what Roadtrek, and the other manufacturers, use for lightweight plywood is not the really good stuff that the marine builders use, but the good stuff is available. You usually can even find a marina/boat repair place that will sell partial sheets. It is really expensive, but very good stuff. Here is a link to what most consider the best of the lightweight marine materials.

http://alliedveneer.com/marine_plywo...d-p-16133.html
That does sound like good plywood. at 1/2", our RT is only 3 or 5 ply, and that marine stuff is 9 ply.

I would pay extra for that option.
__________________

__________________
Brian
2009 Roadtrek 190V, 5" lift - Build Thread
2004 Toyota 4Runner
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.