Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #21
Platinum Member

there is no direct correlation between miles and use.

I've had mine for 2 years and plan on selling it in 5 more years. I have set plans and trips over the next 5 years.

after 7 years i expect to have less than 60,000 miles on it
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swenson View Post
Well Bud...I don't watch may adds of that type, but you could be right.

All I am saying is that, in our case, we experienced just a lot of crowded RV parks and even State Parks this summer. In my case, being put in a slot in an RV park is just not my idea of getting away from it all. And then...I thought we could do some boondocking..but my partner ( I found out ) does not like to do that. So for me, I just feel trapped and am thinking of selling and taking a gigantic hit in $. Yes, we did do some trailering for a year before getting the Class B unit we have...must have had my eyes closed.
We camp for many years, started with camper vans, went through bigger ones, and now back to B. It is rare for us to be packed like sardines in small private campgrounds. I remember recently we did not make reservations and tried a small campground, I think it was around Lincoln City OR directly on the coast, got a place, drove in to check, and drove out. There would be no room for a table while being packed like sardines.

State and National parks, national forests, sometimes county campgrounds’ campsites tend to be bigger. I remember back in seventies I called my wife from work on Friday and made a decision to go to Yosemite, no reservation, plenty of campsites to choose, those days are over. But in public campgrounds you can still find nice campsites.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #23
Site Team

What George says. Plenty of options between commercial campgrounds (which we NEVER use) and boondocking. Just takes a bit of orientation to learn about them. Note especially Corps of Engineers campgrounds. They are plentiful, spacious, well-equpped, and often underused. Another great option is county campgrounds. Less common, but there are some real gems.

Get a few of the "find a campground" apps and start exploring.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I might also speculate that some people don't keep their B's because they are intimidated by driving a van. I drove a crew cab pick-em-up for a couple of decades, but if you are coming from a small car, it can be hard to figure out how to park, when to turn, etc.

Some folks find out after the fact that their HOA won't let them park their rig at home. That's got to be darned inconvenient.

Plus, the hard part (for us, anyway) is the complicated nature of RV rigs these days. We are fairly new and every time we go out it seems we have to re-learn how to make the furnace or the A/C work.

And then some things are just needlessly complicated: for example, if the battery DISconnect switch is ON, shouldn't that mean the battery is DISconnected? ...I'm just saying that if ON means the battery is connected, why don't they call the damn thing a battery CONNECT switch??? Is this some kind of reverse-IQ test?

Thank goodness we don't have one of the fancy RoadTrek systems.

Today I've spent the better part of a day watching you-tube videos of how to winterize. Yes, I have the manual, and no, it doesn't describe things well enough. grrr.

And we still haven't dumped after the last trip because the rest stop that was closest to home and used to allow dumping, doesn't anymore. The only local place we found wants...wait for it...$50 to dump!!!

So I can see why some folks throw in the towel.

That said, we didn't buy it as an investment, and the learning curve is pretty steep, but I still think it's totally worth it.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #25
Silver Member

People sell for a myriad of reasons. I bought my Airstream Interstate used. The original owner bought it to take a single cross country trip. That was his sole intention and obviously he was not concerned about depreciation. The second owners enjoyed it for a few years here locally before deciding to retire to South America. They too were into adventure and not focused on depreciation. I am the third owner, someday I too will move on. The satisfaction of use is way more than the future value when we sell. My Class B suits us perfectly. Your experience may differ.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #26
Bronze Member

We just started looking for a used Class B. Just where is this glut of used camper vans?
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:16 AM   #27
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebTN View Post
We just started looking for a used Class B. Just where is this glut of used camper vans?
RVTrader.com
RVT.com
Craigslist.com
ebay
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post

And we still haven't dumped after the last trip because the rest stop that was closest to home and used to allow dumping, doesn't anymore. The only local place we found wants...wait for it...$50 to dump!!!

A portable macerator pump could be your solution in these situations. I have one and used to use it to dump our goodies at home if we missed a dump station, directly to a main waste water drain access hole, most often in the driveway or in vicinity. Mine last one was located in the center towards garage in the concrete. Or use the house toilette if you can reach it with the hose. If you are on your own septic system that is even better, just don’t dump formaldehyde if you like your neighbors.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-18555-...70_&dpSrc=srch

FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Xylem 18555000A - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
Old 11-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I was going to post about the reasons for selling a while back but never got around to it. I did save some comments by private sellers on RV Trader for 2015, 2016, 2017 used Class B's:

- protective plastic still on
- lavatory unused
- stove unused
- used for the trips we bought it for
- used once
- owner passed away before using
- must sell due to health
- took 3-4 small trips and then got sick & passed
- stove, microwave, refrigerator and shower have never been used
- time for us to hang up the keys and settle down
- convinced my parents to purchase this van
- slept in a total of six nights
- never used for camping
- used for two family road trips

With hindsight being 20/20 ....... Some folks wallets would be much better off if they had found some other enjoyable activity to keep them occupied until the urge to buy an expensive unit had subsided.

Note that I typed some folks - for some others a brand new or nearly brand new campervan purchase works out well.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post

- used once
- owner passed away before using
- must sell due to health
- took 3-4 small trips and then got sick & passed
- convinced my parents to purchase this van

... Some folks wallets would be much better off if they had found some other enjoyable activity to keep them occupied until the urge to buy an expensive unit had subsided.
Based on that list, I'd say some folks were in denial when they bought the van. I looked at statements like that and decided to take the stretch now even though I'm still working. We just go as much as we can. I didn't want to wait to buy it until after I was too old to enjoy it. And I wanted to buy new because I didn't want to spend what precious time we have left working on it.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #31
Platinum Member

We started camping 40 years ago, my wife never did prior, I was a tent camper. We needed a new vehicle, a fellow worker suggested to look at the VW Westfalia, in light of the growing family I look at it first, then both, we like it.

It was the option for VW passenger bus, it was VW option priced at the car dealer which was not an RV dealer, I don’t remember the exact price penalty for the pop-top roof Westfalia, likely about 15% but the total was $7K.

We liked it enough to repeat the purchase a few years later. Did not have to break our wallet, it was a 15% risk over a passenger van or none if compared to Volvo. Those days are gone with high manufacturing costs, must to have Li technology, sinful LPG, and RV dealer profits. I often drive by Fun RV in Tualatin and am amazed how this business can survive with this level of inventory, someone is paying for it.

Just imagine, a young family of four are in need of a larger vehicle, station wagons are gone, yes ubiquitous SUVs are here, but how about a small van, like a Metris, with a (or about) 15% option for Marco Polo directly from Mercedes, can history repeat itself. I hope.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
I might also speculate that some people don't keep their B's because they are intimidated by driving a van. I drove a crew cab pick-em-up for a couple of decades, but if you are coming from a small car, it can be hard to figure out how to park, when to turn, etc.

Some folks find out after the fact that their HOA won't let them park their rig at home. That's got to be darned inconvenient.

Plus, the hard part (for us, anyway) is the complicated nature of RV rigs these days. We are fairly new and every time we go out it seems we have to re-learn how to make the furnace or the A/C work.

And then some things are just needlessly complicated: for example, if the battery DISconnect switch is ON, shouldn't that mean the battery is DISconnected? ...I'm just saying that if ON means the battery is connected, why don't they call the damn thing a battery CONNECT switch??? Is this some kind of reverse-IQ test?

Thank goodness we don't have one of the fancy RoadTrek systems.

Today I've spent the better part of a day watching you-tube videos of how to winterize. Yes, I have the manual, and no, it doesn't describe things well enough. grrr.

So I can see why some folks throw in the towel.

That said, we didn't buy it as an investment, and the learning curve is pretty steep, but I still think it's totally worth it.
The last line of your post is how I've always viewed it. And, I think it's universally applicable to "motorhoming". No matter what size or shape, or whether you choose to tour, or destination camp. It's totally worth it.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Forgot the dumping part of my response.
Find a Flying J truck stop. Most of then have dump stations for $10, or less if you have one of their RV loyalty cards. There are still a few in California as far as I know. Ripon, for one, unless it's gone.
Nope, still there.
https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
RVTrader.com
RVT.com
Craigslist.com
ebay
Thanks for the suggestions. Other than RVT which I didn't know about I have been checking those places. I may have to expand how far I will go or how much I pay.

Was hoping for under $50K and and within 300 miles. I also need to keep it 20' or shorter and 9' high or under to fit in my storage area. I don't want a so called B+, I want a standard van width class B.

Not looking for supper fancy and not afraid of an older model as long as it has been taken care of.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Other than RVT which I didn't know about I have been checking those places. I may have to expand how far I will go or how much I pay.

Was hoping for under $50K and and within 300 miles. I also need to keep it 20' or shorter and 9' high or under to fit in my storage area. I don't want a so called B+, I want a standard van width class B.

Not looking for supper fancy and not afraid of an older model as long as it has been taken care of.
Another option is Sprinter forum - https://sprinter-source.com/forum/. it is a very active site.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:47 PM   #36
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:

If you're looking to keep the van height under 9' don't count out a regular roof sprinter. I have a low roof 4x4 with a maxxfan and it is around 8'6" tall. I was planning to do a pop_top but after camping and traveling I find the low roof to be high enough, but I'm 5'9" and my wife is shorter. Don't be afraid to have a van shop convert a regular van either. We used van specialties out of Tualatin Oregon.
Good luck.
Jon
Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #37

How much interior height do you have on that low roof 4x4?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #38
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
How much interior height do you have on that low roof 4x4?
64 inches

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
If you're looking to keep the van height under 9' don't count out a regular roof sprinter. I have a low roof 4x4 with a maxxfan and it is around 8'6" tall. I was planning to do a pop_top but after camping and traveling I find the low roof to be high enough, but I'm 5'9" and my wife is shorter. Don't be afraid to have a van shop convert a regular van either. We used van specialties out of Tualatin Oregon.
Good luck.
Jon
Thanks I didn't know about the regular roof Sprinter. All I had checked must have been the high tops because they were close to 10' tall. I actually like the pop top option. Our first real camper was a 1965 Ford Van with a pop top. It had been gutted when I got it and I built a very simple camper inside. Used it for years. Less than 7' tall.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:50 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
I'm doing my research into Sprinter, Transit, Promaster, etc., class B RVs and I wonder what moves people to sell? I see a lot of used Class B RVs--Winnebago, Pleasure-Way, Airstream, for example, with much less than 20,000 miles, and many are even less than 10,000 miles. Which makes me think that people find them inadequate and are moving on to some other RV. Or maybe they are just done RVing.

What are your thoughts? What is your experience?? Thanks!
I am sure you are appreciating all of the comments folks are willing to share with you. Right?