Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #241
Platinum Member

Teck! This one is for you! Then have VanCompass design a lift for the dual rear wheel set-up for 2" extra ground clearance.

Seriously, I do understand the inflated pricing on Class B's. They're all the rage! Thank the #vanlife movement on Instagram. I was really lucky to get mine at such a low price. The seller did not know they were selling like hot potatoes. One of the sprinters I was checking out had a virtual line up of over 30 people when it would come out of storage. Crazy!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #242
Platinum Member

Default If I Already Had a Van

[QUOTE=Mat Mobile;71332]Teck! This one is for you! Then have VanCompass design a lift for the dual rear wheel set-up for 2" extra ground clearance.

QUOTE]

If we already had a rear wheel drive van a lift would be a viable option. If we got a new one I'd opt for 4X4 Sprinter which includes a 4" lift.

I'd love it if these VanCompass guys would figure out how to lift a Promaster 2" without making it tippy or drive crappy.

There is some serious sales volume there for whoever figures that one out.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #243
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I'd love it if these VanCompass guys would figure out how to lift a Promaster 2" without making it tippy or drive crappy.

There is some serious sales volume there for whoever figures that one out.
Well, they already have a 1.5" front lift for the Promaster. And I'm sure you could put a 1" block in the back. It would have a little rake but nothing unbearable.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #244
Platinum Member

Default Been Looking for This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Well, they already have a 1.5" front lift for the Promaster. And I'm sure you could put a 1" block in the back. It would have a little rake but nothing unbearable.
Very cool. I have been looking for something like this - I will investigate.

I am going to have SumoSprings installed in the rear which lifts the coach about one inch in the rear.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #245
Platinum Member

Quote:

I am going to have SumoSprings installed in the rear which lifts the coach about one inch in the rear.
And Vancompass could probably do the installation of the SumoSprings at their location.

Anyways... You got me day dreaming about camper vans... Again!

So Aluminess has got you covered on roof racks:

There, I've said my peace. Now back to work Mat!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #246
Platinum Member

Default Big News From VanCompass

Quote:

Thanks to Mat Mobile, I called the guys at VanCompass a bit ago and they shared with me some very helpful and cool news about lifting a Promaster.

Their new lift pieces work with the front struts to lift the front of the van about 1.5". Cost is $300. The labor costs to have them installed would cost more than the parts.

VanCompass is also working on something to lift the rear of the Promaster - very, very cool news. It will work in conjunction with the leaf springs and they expect the price to be about the same as the front parts. What's cool is that they also told me that the rear lift they are developing WILL work with or without SumoSprings.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:39 AM   #247
Platinum Member

A few of my thoughts:

I'm one of those that has an order in for a new Travato 59GL. My out the door price was $102k. There is nothing on the market that can touch it in functionality for that money. The lithium system is second only to what ARV is now doing. That capability comes at a price - around $21k. What you get is a 10kw-h battery back, a big inverter, solar with mppt controller, an autostart sytem, and a 2nd alternator that charges at 48 volts. You get an 8 year warranty on the battery. All charging is controlled by SOC, not voltage. It employs high-idle on the 2nd alternator.

I have my doubts about retrofit kits. Key to making the system work is employing the thermal protection, which requires accommodations with the van's heating system and installing new ducting. You'd have to price in whatever measures you'd employ on top of the price of the kit.

My plans for this van are to install more aggressive tires (KO2's) and sumos to lift it 1". Coupled with FWD, I think there are very few places I want to go that would be an issue. I really can't imagine living with a 4x4 Sprinter that is so tall and all the downsides that go with that - climb to get in, sidewind effect, vehicle height, etc.

If you got a regular Travato, you'd be at around $75-80k depending on options. That is still a terrific value in the new market, putting in above the entry level vans (with appalling build quality) like Sunlight & Carado and below the more premiums like Zion, Aktiv, Lexor. Of course you are far below price of any of the Sprinters, or Transits and even Roadtrek's Chevy's which have climbed to ridiculous $ levels considering how ancient their design is.

Everyone has to balance their wants and needs with their budget. To me, the power capabilities and independence are worth the cost. Having a system that is professionally engineered and backed by a good warranty is also worth something in the equation as well. Frankly, I didn't want to be tinkering with a DIY lithium system and setting up a second alternator - or dealing with a generator again. I want something ready to go in July, not start building something and maybe it's done and shaken out by the end of the year.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:57 AM   #248
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
A few of my thoughts:

I'm one of those that has an order in for a new Travato 59GL.
Congrats on your ordered GL wincrasher.

We just ordered today a "regular" 59K today. That said, I am very impressed with how Winnebago has tackled the Lithium issue. They frankly seem to be doing it right - well though out, tested and warranted.

We could have afforded the K but since we have never had an RV of any sorts it seemed too extravagant for a first RV.

We live out west where the humidity is not an issue so I don't foresee many nights where we will be running the AC and during the day we'll be out of the van. We're more of an "open up all the windows" kind of people at night.

I'll turn on the generator for a few minutes when/if I need to use the microwave.

I ordered our "K" with dealer installed SumoSprings. I also wanted to switch immediately to T/A K02 tires but I was not going to get any credit for the stock tires so I think I will wear out the stock/factory tires first and then switch over. At that future point, most likely, I will also get the rims powered coated.

I think i got every option on our K except for the painted bumpers (which I am not a fan of) and the shiny cabinets which look nice but seem like finger print magnets and it seems weird to me that the doors are shinny but the frame of the cabinets are matt finish - probably something that only bothered me.

It will be anxious waiting 12 weeks for our new "toy". We are really looking forward to using the heck out of it once in arrives.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #249
Platinum Member

Quote:
We just ordered today a "regular" 59K today.
Congrats on your purchase teck13!

Thanks for letting us brainstorm with you! I look forward to see what you do to your RV and the adventures you will take with it!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #250
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think i got every option on our K except for the painted bumpers (which I am not a fan of) and the shiny cabinets which look nice but seem like finger print magnets and it seems weird to me that the doors are shinny but the frame of the cabinets are matt finish - probably something that only bothered me.

It will be anxious waiting 12 weeks for our new "toy". We are really looking forward to using the heck out of it once in arrives.
I also took a pass on the painted bumpers and the shiny cabinetry. Had both before and disappointed with the quality on each. WGO does really poorly painting those parts. If you get the granite color (like I did), then you don't notice the unpainted bumper covers at all and gives it a more rugged look in my view.

I also got almost every option - I went with the roof and bike racks, acrylic windows and the leather front seats and the new front window shades. My build is due in early July (I hope).
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #251
Platinum Member

We expect our K to be delivered early August. I ordered granite too (Mecca interior) and I agree the regular bumpers look more rugged and probably absorb a bump without finish damage better. I also opted for dual pane windows, leather, bike and roof racks, tank heaters, front blinds, rear screen, Delux fan. Dealer is installing SumoSprings in the rear. They’ll look like twins but yours will have beautiful lithium.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #252
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I also took a pass on the painted bumpers and the shiny cabinetry. Had both before and disappointed with the quality on each. WGO does really poorly painting those parts. If you get the granite color (like I did), then you don't notice the unpainted bumper covers at all and gives it a more rugged look in my view.
If you don't really like the grey plastic bumpers, you can consider having them and the rockers sprayed with line-X (or even a couple of years down the road).
I did that to mine as I expect to go down a lot of gravel roads. Plus I feel it gives it a less "RV" look... but that's subjective and debatable.

Still... From this:

To this:

You can go for black, or have it color matched or go for a complimentary color like silver. The black cost me 1,000$ Canadian but another colour would cost more.

Anyways... just a suggestion.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #253
Bronze Member

Hey Mat. Is there a post/thread on your Roadtrek lift? That thing is nice!
EsotericSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 AM   #254
Platinum Member

Quote:

We just ordered today a "regular" 59K today. ...
We could have afforded the K but since we have never had an RV of any sorts it seemed too extravagant for a first RV.

We live out west where the humidity is not an issue so I don't foresee many nights where we will be running the AC and during the day we'll be out of the van. We're more of an "open up all the windows" kind of people at night.

I'll turn on the generator for a few minutes when/if I need to use the microwave.

I ordered our "K" with dealer installed SumoSprings. I also wanted to switch immediately to T/A K02 tires but I was not going to get any credit for the stock tires so I think I will wear out the stock/factory tires first and then switch over. At that future point, most likely, I will also get the rims powered coated.
For What it's worth, Excellent Choices! and Congratulations!
I think you'll be really happy and "using the heck out of it" as you said.

We are in N.W.Arkansas where it DOES get humid, but still, we have very few hours on the air conditioning. The Maxx air Fan, window ventilation, and huge screen doors work very well in the Travato. We travelled a month last year in July from Utah to the Canadian Rockies and never needed A/C.. Never plugged in actually; and never got the batteries lower than 60% - and that's with only 100 watts of solar. I believe most people will find the non-lithium system plenty adequate if they are not needing battery operated air conditioning.

As far as the microwave goes; I am genny free, so I hooked up a cheap inverter to the chassis battery for the rare time we need the microwave for a couple minutes. Works great, whole system cost less than $200 and an afternoons worth of work (and ofcourse you dont even need to do that with your onboard generator).

I had the same plans, and did the same thing with the tires. That also worked well, and made me appreciate the KO2's even more, after running on the oem highway tires for awhile (which are fine tires on pavement).

Best of luck to you! Hope you love it as well as we do ours!
Join the Travato Owners and Wannabes facebook page if you haven't already.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #255
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericSnowman View Post
Hey Mat. Is there a post/thread on your Roadtrek lift? That thing is nice!
Thanks! In my signature but skip to post #35 for the lift.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What I would like to see is a "roughed in" van that came with windows, ceiling vent, a pre-installed bathroom and a few other hard-to-DIY things. I think a lot of people would buy such a unit and finish it out themselves.
That's a great idea!

Then you could put what you want in it and make it your own.
BretMundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #257
Silver Member

We were four months in Mexico in our 2002 Roadtrek 190 Excel. The ropes (speed bumps in San Cristobal de las Casas and Palenque scraped at walking speed (fiberglass damage in San Cristobal) so amoying attention to 2” lifters.

That said, we met one other US RVer in Yucatan and only one in San Miguel de Allende . The Europeans were about evenly divided amongst VW bus derivatives, German made adaptations on Honda pickups, and varied expedition level vehicles on UNIMIOG, MAN, Mercedes and similar large 4 x 4s. Most were their way down to or returning from Argentina or Uruaguay.
Teed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, agile, grand canyon, revel, travato