Old 05-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #1

Default Why no insulation in Roadtrek

I've noticed that my CS Adventurous appears to have no insulation whatsoever, which results in a tin can oven on hot, sunny days. This, of course, demands running the AC all day, which goes against the idea of a boondockable Class B.

Do other Class B's insulate? If not, why not? That seems like the best way to reduce AC usage.

ProseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProseMan View Post
I've noticed that my CS Adventurous appears to have no insulation whatsoever, which results in a tin can oven on hot, sunny days. This, of course, demands running the AC all day, which goes against the idea of a boondockable Class B.

Do other Class B's insulate? If not, why not? That seems like the best way to reduce AC usage.
What exterior color is your coach?

cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
What exterior color is your coach?
Charcoal Grey. That obviously exacerbates the problem. All the more reason to insulate!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Charcoal Grey. That obviously exacerbates the problem. All the more reason to insulate!
Some builders like ARV emphasize their insulation component, but with all the single pane spacious windows typically found in a class B, I wonder if the insulation in the rest of the body will have much of a positive impact toward interior temperature regulation.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Some builders like ARV emphasize their insulation component, but with all the single pane spacious windows typically found in a class B, I wonder if the insulation in the rest of the body will have much of a positive impact toward interior temperature regulation.
From my personal experience, yes. It's true a lot of heat comes in through the windows, but I can tell you that the walls and cabinets heat up to an amazing degree, from the heat coming through the wall. I'm considering dropping the cabinets and wall covering and insulating myself, but it will be a tedious process. I've already covered the bare metal on the roof with reflectex and that made a big difference.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
From my personal experience, yes. It's true a lot of heat comes in through the windows, but I can tell you that the walls and cabinets heat up to an amazing degree, from the heat coming through the wall. I'm considering dropping the cabinets and wall covering and insulating myself, but it will be a tedious process. I've already covered the bare metal on the roof with reflectex and that made a big difference.
Agree. Our rig came fairly well-insulated, and I added more. Makes a huge difference. Well-fitted pleated shades actually do a pretty good job at insulating windows during the night, since they trap still air. And, of course, you can always supplement them with homemade Reflectex sheets.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Agree. Our rig came fairly well-insulated, and I added more. Makes a huge difference. Well-fitted pleated shades actually do a pretty good job at insulating windows during the night, since they trap still air. And, of course, you can always supplement them with homemade Reflectex sheets.
I've also considered tinting the glass with the ceramic infra-red block, to stop the heat before it enters the glass. What rig do you have that is insulated?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
What rig do you have that is insulated?
2014 Great West Vans Legend, sadly no longer in business. They did a good job everywhere, except that they failed to insulate inside the door cavities and a few of the smaller enclosed areas. The doors make a huge difference, especially the large rear doors. Fortunately, fixing it is just a matter of popping off the inside panels and adding the insulation. Quick and easy.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
I've also considered tinting the glass with the ceramic infra-red block, to stop the heat before it enters the glass. What rig do you have that is insulated?
I added good ceramic window tinting to my Subaru and it did a fantastic job at reducing heat. I didn't get the dark stuff, it worked great at reducing heat and didn't make night driving a problem. I got a chance to test drive a Subaru without tinting a few months later and I thought I was a bug under a magnifying glass. All future vehicles will have window tinting.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
I added good ceramic window tinting to my Subaru and it did a fantastic job at reducing heat. I didn't get the dark stuff, it worked great at reducing heat and didn't make night driving a problem. I got a chance to test drive a Subaru without tinting a few months later and I thought I was a bug under a magnifying glass. All future vehicles will have window tinting.
There's no problem with tinting installed by the manufacturer but before adding tinting to any vehicle windows on your own, you do well to review the DMV regulations regarding tinting in the state in which the vehicle is registered.

There generally are no constraints for tinting in the rearward portion of a vehicle but for the driver and passenger area some venues limit the tinting level for the protection of traffic officers. While it's selectively enforced that doesn't eliminate the possibility that your tinting results in your turn in the barrel for dealing with an equipment cite that requires striping the tinting for correction. Just one more reason for being polite if not pleasant during a traffic stop.