Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Why voltstart?

So I have seen multiple threads about voltsart and it's cost of approx. $1800. Why so expensive? Am I missing something here?

MSRP of Volstart is $1859 CAD

Viper G4806V remote starter is $199 CAD and probably another $200 to install which gives you a remote starter with a low battery start feature called Smart Start (note they have more than one thing they call Smart Start).

I think the only difference here would be that the Viper runs the vehicle on a timer where they Voltstart shuts off when the voltage threshold is reached. But for many of us, the biggest enemy is a dead start battery.

From the manual

Smart Start operation
Smart Start uses the settings for Timer Start in addition to temperature
and battery level to automatically start the engine. Activation
begins the countdown timer. When the timer expires the vehicle
interior temperature and battery level is checked and, if the Temperature
is above 100F, below 0F, or the battery level is below
10.5v, the engine will start. When the Remote start runtime
expires the engine shuts off, and the countdown timer restarts.
Smart Start is exited after the final start.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

I would prefer a SOC-Start to Volt-Start any day.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Auto-start is not new.

People have been using them on boats for a long time.

Any marine-upfitter can help you install one to start your generator, or whatever.

For people with Arduino or Raspberry Pi experience, you can program the auto-start to trigger on a range of parameters -- including temperature, SOC, or time...
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Viper G4806V remote starter is $199 CAD and probably another $200 to install which gives you a remote starter with a low battery start feature called Smart Start (note they have more than one thing they call Smart Start).
Are you sure that the Viper unit can remote start a Sprinter? When I explored this space in 2014, the only way to remote start a modern Sprinter involved a very expensive 3rd party CanBus interface.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Are you sure that the Viper unit can remote start a Sprinter? When I explored this space in 2014, the only way to remote start a modern Sprinter involved a very expensive 3rd party CanBus interface.
This was the only one available at one time, maybe others now...

https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...arter-sks906c/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Auto-start is not new.

People have been using them on boats for a long time.

Any marine-upfitter can help you install one to start your generator, or whatever.
And also in the trucking industry as well. But those systems are typically expensive. I'm just trying to point out lower cost alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
For people with Arduino or Raspberry Pi experience, you can program the auto-start to trigger on a range of parameters -- including temperature, SOC, or time...
That is the way to go, if you have the skill or know someone who does. Probably the lowest cost of all options.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Onan and Magnum Energy both have generator controllers which will fire up the genset at a certain SoC level. For the engine, I know there are other systems which interface to start up and run the vehicle's engine. On Fords, there is a programming guide which even shows you how to clap a "virtual PATS key" ring around the RFID antenna so the auto start system can work.

Here is an example of what I rummaged up, in addition to what Viper offers.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Pleasure-Way's solution

PW has recently been touting their automatic generator start functionality. Using their touch-screen interface, you can get the Onan generator to start when batteries reach a certain level, or if indoor temps rise enough that you'd want to run the A/C. Have a look at some of their recent Youtube videos. It seems pretty straight forward.

Not suggesting it's better or worse than Voltstart, just that there are other options.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Winnebago is coming out with the Travato GL and KL models that have what will be called the Volta Start that will do an automatic start, at a more affordable price then Roadtrek.

We have a Roadtrek CS Adventurous, with 470 watts of solar and the Volt Start. We met family for lunch, and after, we came back to the Roadtrek and sat in the parking lot for 6 hours visiting with the Volt start going and the a/c at 74 degrees and had a wonderful visit. The engine started up and charged the lithium batteries when it got low, and then shut the engine off. It was in the 90's outside and it was pretty cool not to have to listen to the generator.

We also travel with pets, so now we can go out to eat or go sightseeing and know that our pets are in the comfort of the a/c. We live in Florida.
Carolp495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolp495 View Post
Winnebago is coming out with the Travato GL and KL models that have what will be called the Volta Start that will do an automatic start, at a more affordable price then Roadtrek.

We have a Roadtrek CS Adventurous, with 470 watts of solar and the Volt Start. We met family for lunch, and after, we came back to the Roadtrek and sat in the parking lot for 6 hours visiting with the Volt start going and the a/c at 74 degrees and had a wonderful visit. The engine started up and charged the lithium batteries when it got low, and then shut the engine off. It was in the 90's outside and it was pretty cool not to have to listen to the generator.

We also travel with pets, so now we can go out to eat or go sightseeing and know that our pets are in the comfort of the a/c. We live in Florida.
As a fail safe, many people with VoltStart also use a remote temperature sensor that alerts you to your mobile phone if the temperature gets above a set temperature. They do require cell coverage and have a monthly fee in some cases but they will let you know if the VoltStart has not worked as expected or if it reaches the limit of the allowed restarts which is something you might expect at some time.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
As a fail safe, many people with VoltStart also use a remote temperature sensor that alerts you to your mobile phone if the temperature gets above a set temperature. They do require cell coverage and have a monthly fee in some cases but they will let you know if the VoltStart has not worked as expected or if it reaches the limit of the allowed restarts which is something you might expect at some time.
I installed a Viper 5706V (probably supplanted by a newer model by now) in our rig. It reports the van temperature directly to its fob--no cell service or fees involved. They advertise "up to 1 mile" range. That is an exaggeration, but not a great one. Certainly good enough for a dinner stop or shopping.

It does not alarm at a temperature set point (you have to remember to look at the fob once in awhile). But if you wanted that, you could easily add a simple thermostat to one of the alarm inputs.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote