Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
Bronze Member

When traveling I take my laptop and hope for a wi-fi hot spot at a campground. I did learn on a recent trip that I needed a better wireless card. I had been using the one in my Dell computer (4 years old). I bought a newer, stronger card and my connecitons at home and at campgrounds has greatly improved (went from a G to a G Plus).

I have considered getting rid of cable Internet at home and just having an aircard with AT&T or Verizon, but that would be more expensive each month than my current cable Internet.

Also, I have an Apple iPhone that costs me $20 a month for unlimited Internet access which allows me to surf the web and have email. It operates on AT&T's network. Anywhere there is cell phone service, I have Internet access. The screen is wonderful and the speed is not much slower than my cable Internet. The $20 is in addition to my regular cell phone bill - it is some of the best money I spend on communication.

The reason I would like to have an aircard is so I could update my blog with text and photos along the way when traveling - I boondock a lot so I'm not in a campground very often.