Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Will the price of fuel affect your plans?
Yes, I'll cut back on distance or number of trips. 16 27.12%
No, The price of fuel won't make me change my RV usage. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Will the price of fuel affect your plans?

Will the price of fuel affect your plans?

g1g's post on this subject makes for an interesting poll.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default hasn't so far

so doubt that it will.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Sold the Class A and bought a Class B - get 21 mpg (diesel). I'll cut back somewhere in our budget so we can continue to travel.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

So far it has not affected our travel plans. We've made two trips totalling about 4,500 miles. Highest we paid for diesel was $4.959 per gal. in Indianapolis. Lowest was $4.039 in early May in Minnetonka, MN. We are seeing mostly about $4.699 right now.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

We have a E250 Ford Van with a Sportmobile top and self converted that gets 18 mpg . We are going to Alaska . We know that the price of gas probably won't get any better next year so we will go now on our adventure and next year cut back some .
RS 38-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Gold Member

So far it hasnt affected our travel plans. We are cutting down on running into town whenever we need something. Trying to cut back on local running around vs. travel/camping plans.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We are still going to travel, but I'm sure glad we have our B, rather than a big old gas guzzling A or a 5th wheel! Then the fuel prices really would cut into our plans.

At home we are trying to cut down on trips to town (12+ miles each way) and trying to do several errands on each trip. In addition, we're pretty much trying to drive the speed limit- even if it does piss off the guy behind us. I amazed at how many people in the big Escalades and 4WD pickup trucks are still speeding down the road at 15 or more MPH over the speed limit....

We will still go to Moab this fall, and we'll still travel to see our grandkids though. Those trips are worth just about any price!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo

We will still go to Moab this fall, and we'll still travel to see our grandkids though. Those trips are worth just about any price!
Agree 100% with this statement.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
g1g
Platinum Member

It is hard to say how it affects me as I just got my B a year ago and since work two jobs I don't have much time to get out right now. I will be carefull on how I plan my trips now and also plan on boondocking some nights to save $$$.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

The grandkid aspect is important. Last year we made three trips to northern Virginia (Washington DC) on account of daughter and granddaughter. Two of the trips were by B and one by flying. The two trips by B were cheaper than the one by flying.

This year we combined our first Virginia trip with the RV.net B rally that got us half way there and the Indy 500 race on the return. All in all, so far this year we have put on 4,500 miles, spent about $800 in fuel, maybe $200 in camping fees. But we have been to see our granddaughter, two B rallies, my annual high school reunion and a major auto race, and, ahem, 11 pork tenderloin sandwich opportunities in 5 states. We've camped in 6 different states. I figure during that time away from home we probably would have expended $200 worth in gas for local travel. Food and other necessities are probably a wash. So the whole experience over 3-1/2 weeks out was maybe a net $800. That's cheap for what we got. We can no longer fly to Washington DC for that.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #11
g1g
Platinum Member

I think I spotted something very good in that last post. How did you make the pork tenderloin sandwiches? I think I'm getting hungry.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches all came from restaurants as reported here...

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=893

and

http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=894

But I have made them at camp. I did so for the 2006 Mini Minni Rally here...

Old 06-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Gold Member

I believe David middle name is Pork Tenderloin.
Trust me his pictures and write ups are well worth reading.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Cost Of Fuel Effect Your Plans?

NO. Not at all. Fuel = FREEDOM to enjoy an R.V. Lifestyle. Save for it if you have to but money spent on gas is necessary to have the additional pleasures of the beautiful ocean or mountain views, the smell of the campfire and the new wonders you experience visiting new territory. Just think of how you feel when you experience these things. Can you put a price on them? Vacations and even long weekends will require planning,calculation of mileage and the best fuel prices along the way. Pay more attention to tune ups, tire inflation and reduced weight for better fuel consumption.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #15

Default Re: Will the price of fuel affect your plans?

We just purchased our B, a 2011 PW Plateau.......knowing full well that fuel prices are going up.

We decided to go Diesel for this very reason. Right now it runs more than Gasoline, and it may always, but it also gets better mileage by a higher percent than its cost...

I beg forgiveness from gasoline powered vehicle owners, not trying to start a feud, this was just choice that we made.

Let's ALL hope and pray our government decides to come to its senses about energy......I believe if we use ALL energy at our disposal (and develop alternative energy like wave action) we can stop the flow of money going to those areas of the world that would support terrorism.......and reduce their ability to hurt us.......The pipeline in Alaska has actually increased the caribou herd, and I have to believe that RESPONSIBLE drilling in Anwar and other locations would be good for us......are we trying to keep it pristine for the country that is going to take us over ? So what if we don't spill in the Gulf by not drilling.....others are drilling there......are they not going to spill ? GRRRRRRrrrrr
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote