Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #81
Platinum Member

For me, the Revel would be ideal van, except for two things... the first is that since do festivals in Texas heat, the A/C and a power source would be a must. The second is that I'd either need to bring along multiple cartridges for the cassette toilet, or go with a black tank. However, this is what I consider close to my ideal for a class "B" -- Spartan, fewer things to break (except for the loft bed mechanism), and can go anywhere.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #82

Default privacy

what does revel have in case of privacy?

does it have curtain between driver and home part of it?

does the windshield have screen/privacy shade? (i think some of winnebago, or was it roadtrek?) have it?
fablefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #83
Gold Member

You don't need multiple cassette's. You only need one 27 gallon portable waste tank with wheels to fill up and cart drag to a dump site.

Thetford SmartTote2 LX 4-Wheel Portable Waste Tank, 27 Gallon - Thetford 40518 - Holding Tanks - Camping World
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
You don't need multiple cassette's. You only need one 27 gallon portable waste tank with wheels to fill up and cart drag to a dump site.

Thetford SmartTote2 LX 4-Wheel Portable Waste Tank, 27 Gallon - Thetford 40518 - Holding Tanks - Camping World
That would work but it is pretty large and may be hard to store in a van with limited space. We carry a second cassette stored in a rubbermaid tote for the few times we are unable to empty a full cassette.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #85
Gold Member

Storage in the Revel is pretty big if the bed is raised to the top creating a big garage.
tmshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
That would work but it is pretty large and may be hard to store in a van with limited space. We carry a second cassette stored in a rubbermaid tote for the few times we are unable to empty a full cassette.
I am looking for the second 402C cassette but prices tend to be high, where did you get yours?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I am looking for the second 402C cassette but prices tend to be high, where did you get yours?
With the price of the British Pound these days, I got a C200 Fresh Up Kit for less than $130 including shipping from the UK from Jacksons Leisure Supplies on ebay a few months ago. Fresh Up Kits include a cassette, toilet seat, and a couple bottles bottles of chemicals.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Storage in the Revel is pretty big if the bed is raised to the top creating a big garage.
True but you are going to have to decide that a large tank for waste is higher priority than something else you might want to be taking...

I have underbed storage that is much larger and I have other stuff to take that is higher priority than a tank that size but to each his own...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #89

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is a smart design.

The first time I saw it, I was like, I wish there is a drawer, places to hang clothes, etc, because I prefer to have a bicycle in the back (outside on a carrier) and will not carry anything large.

But then I realized Winnebago want to hit a large type of customer, and I'm better off utilizing the space myself the way I wanted it. I have no problems putting my stuff in labelled container. Besides, I can change the van use by putting these container in the home/rented storage so I'm not limited.

Smart thinking by Winnebago.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 AM   #90
Platinum Member

I guess that customer is a weekender who is not traveling more than one day to get where they are going.

Otherwise, what do you do with all that great gear when you want to lower the bed to the one and only sleeping position?

It seems to me it's appealing to noobs who've never RV'd before, but haven't the experience to know what they really need. But we live in an age where experience is discarded in favor of "disruption", so what do I know?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:35 AM   #91
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I guess that customer is a weekender who is not traveling more than one day to get where they are going.

Otherwise, what do you do with all that great gear when you want to lower the bed to the one and only sleeping position?

It seems to me it's appealing to noobs who've never RV'd before, but haven't the experience to know what they really need. But we live in an age where experience is discarded in favor of "disruption", so what do I know?

Old 10-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

Well, it's not Winnebago fault to cover all bases - which include "Weekenders". Specially if they are the one with cash - and fulltimers(?) which supports Winnebago as a company prefer large C and A's ? (there is a reason why Winnebago still in business, and they have more models in these class than B).

But looking at the design, and looking at a lot of van full timers that Bob Wells (cheaprvliving) interviews - a lot of them are "I'll just throw everything under the bed" or "I"ll just put the bed on top of all these storage" types.

Considering Winnebago receives all kind of comments and idea after putting the design out in public (I saw it in Fit RV interview) so they might have seen the full picture - including the bathroom. I don't blame them considering that Sportsmobile most popular design are the one WITHOUT a bathroom (just porta potty storage) and outside shower.

I like kinda, because its seems like something I always loved - a combination of my first love (RT e-trek) and Zion SRT, Activ, Sportsmobile.

I do hope that one day I can be a full timer with Revel. And just like a lot of Rvers that Bob Wells interview, I just put stuff into storage boxes and put it under the bed, with a bicycle at the back.

Oh, as last note, you can turn the middle seat into a bed. Some might prefer that - specially for singles. So more storage behind should they need it. And the fact that the bed can lift up high is not a problem for a lot of people: lots of Sportsmobile fan don't mind they can't sit on their "ceiling bed / penthouse bed ?" - as long as they can lie down and sleep. So I can imagine some users sleep with the bed up high - higher than say, Active. Maybe enough to put whatever they need underneath.

I think what the designer mention in introduction week is correct: be modular and let the owner turn it into whatever they wanted it to be.

---edit---

also, it remind me of a woman full timer that Bob Wells interviewed. She travel from places to places. Once she arrived at a location, she set up a tent for her stuff: leaving more space inside her vehicle. Her reasoning was safety: can always buy stuff, but if you need to drive and go, you can.

so, yeah, for some people, this is exactly what they need.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
With the price of the British Pound these days, I got a C200 Fresh Up Kit for less than $130 including shipping from the UK from Jacksons Leisure Supplies on ebay a few months ago. Fresh Up Kits include a cassette, toilet seat, and a couple bottles bottles of chemicals.
Thank you, just ordered one.

George.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Hi,
Noob here shopping a van to fit kayaks, bikes in summer, skis, snowboard in winter, plus 3 kids! So looking at traditional class Bs like the RoadTrek 190-210, I have to ask, where do I put the kids?

On the WGo Revel:

1) Sleep: Even with the bed down, skis, boards will fit. Bikes can go outside on top of the van thanks to the handy moveable ladder. Mountain bikes get too grubby to go inside anyway. I should be away from crowded campgrounds where theft may be concern. I need space for kids to sleep if its too wet, cold outside so either a pop up penthouse or hammocks.

2) Space flexibility: Outside Van has an option where rails can slide forward all the way behind front seats so that beds can be cleared away from the back garage. This can be done because there is no built in structure in the way. I think WGo should not have built the bathroom/closet with walls but go with either a portapotti or fold out curtains as in the XP Camper. https://youtu.be/nclxqxZAB00 At 3:07.
This way, WGo could have offered a rail system ala OSV instead of the lift bed. Maybe in the future if the Revel continues to have legs?

3) Hygiene: A cassette toilet means I can go to Europe seamlessly, and stay off campgrounds in the US. Simpler plumbing bodes well for cold weather travel.

4) Food: we love cooking outside over a fire. Between the inside burner and a coleman camp stove for wet days, we are all set.

I wish there is an RT 190-210 which fit the needs I described. Those classic rigs would be great because they would have tried, true workmanship in electricals and water management. Instead, everytime I look at the interior of a traditional RV, I see closets and TVs �� Our clothes would be bundled up anyway and electronics are now wireless, there is no need for all this heavy infra-structure. My tow capacity is almost nil due to the weight of furniture. I could gut a lightly used one maybe, but what a waste. We need a fast rolling tent on wheels really. WGo is almost there.
Bnylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #95
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnylo View Post
Hi,
Noob here shopping a van to fit kayaks, bikes in summer, skis, snowboard in winter, plus 3 kids! So looking at traditional class Bs like the RoadTrek 190-210, I have to ask, where do I put the kids?
On the WGo Revel:
1) Sleep: Even with the bed down, skis, boards will fit. Bikes can go outside on top of the van thanks to the handy moveable ladder. Mountain bikes get too grubby to go inside anyway. I should be away from crowded campgrounds where theft may be concern. I need space for kids to sleep if its too wet, cold outside so either a pop up penthouse or hammocks.
2) Space flexibility: Outside Van has an option where rails can slide forward all the way behind front seats so that beds can be cleared away from the back garage. This can be done because there is no built in structure in the way. I think WGo should not have built the bathroom/closet with walls but go with either a portapotti or fold out curtains as in the XP Camper. https://youtu.be/nclxqxZAB00 At 3:07.
This way, WGo could have offered a rail system ala OSV instead of the lift bed. Maybe in the future if the Revel continues to have legs?
3) Hygiene: A cassette toilet means I can go to Europe seamlessly, and stay off campgrounds in the US. Simpler plumbing bodes well for cold weather travel.
4) Food: we love cooking outside over a fire. Between the inside burner and a coleman camp stove for wet days, we are all set.
I wish there is an RT 190-210 which fit the needs I described. Those classic rigs would be great because they would have tried, true workmanship in electricals and water management. Instead, everytime I look at the interior of a traditional RV, I see closets and TVs �� Our clothes would be bundled up anyway and electronics are now wireless, there is no need for all this heavy infra-structure. My tow capacity is almost nil due to the weight of furniture. I could gut a lightly used one maybe, but what a waste. We need a fast rolling tent on wheels really. WGo is almost there.
Seamlessly to EU with a cassette, on a plane?

With 3 kids I would think that pop-up roof could be your best option. 5 of us slept in 2005 Westfalia, a little tight with the youngest on the front hammock spread across the front seats.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #96

For Europe, shipping container or RO/RO. Yes, the penthouse by Colorado Camper Van looks great. However, I am concerned about safety in a rollover situation. They remove B C braces.
Bnylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnylo View Post
Container or RO/RO. Yes, the penthouse by Colorado Camper Van looks great. However, I am concerned about safety in a rollover situation. They remove B C pillers.
With trip to EU you could consider shipping US Van to EU for conversion and have one there for travel. I don’t know about legality or financial aspects. https://www.camprest.com/en/news/mot...to-a-motorhome
Old 10-15-2017, 03:07 AM   #98
Platinum Member

For information on taking your van to Europe check out Campskunk's recent articles on Mike Wendland's Roadtreking blog. He took his Roadtrek Sprinter to EU and describes his preparations, shipping and adventures along the way.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream